12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 5:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't move clips around in timeline

I installed Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and I'm creating a movie. I find that I can no longer move clips around in the timeline. When I try to, I get the circle with the line through it. I can't add clips either. They won't appear or jump to the timeline if I drag them.

Is there a setting I need to change, like unlock or something? What's going on?

Please Help!!

Chris
        • 1. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          I know of no reason this would happen.

Are you sure you're on the timeline (labeled "My Project")?

Also, what are your source clips? What type of video are they and what kind of camcorder did they come from?

Also you say you can "no longer" move your clips.

Does this mean you used to be able to but can't now?
          • 2. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Christopher,

If the answer to Steve's last question is yes, then you need to investigate what might have changed. Sometimes it's software that we install, but often it's things like automatic updates to, say your OS. These can render drivers obsolete, etc.

Steve's second question is very important too. If you are not sure of all of the specs. of your AV Assets, G-Spot, a freeware program, www.headbands.com/gspot, can likely give you all of the info needed.

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
              Level 1
              The clips are all MPG movie files (High Quality, not HD) and they came from a Sony Handycam HDR-12 (120GB HD). I've only had this problem start after installing the new Adobe Premiere Elements 7.
              • 4. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                Barb__O Level 4
                Looking at a review of that camera, it says
                >The Sony HDR 12 records in Dolby Digital 5.1-channel surround sound

So since you said that your clips are SD and not HD, I suspect that what you have is a MPEG2 / 5.1 audio file. This type of clip does create problems in PE 7 that did not exist in earlier versions.

Please do verify my suspicion about your clip using G-spot as suggested by Hunt.

My limited experience in this area is based on my son's Sony DCR-SR100 which is SD MPEG2 with 5.1 audio. So I am suspecting that you have a similar situation for your SD video - however I don't want to lead you astray and that is why I think it is important to verify what audio your clip contains.

Some related questions -

What project type do you have set for your Premiere Elements 7 project?
                On what track is this video clip that you can not move on the Timeline?

There are some relevant posts over on the forums at muvipix.com if in fact you do have the same problems because of 5.1 audio. I can come back and give you references. Rob Johnston (who participates here and at muvipix) has given me multiple suggestions and some of them I have tested.
                • 5. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                  Paul_LS Level 4
                  Yes, it is a high definition AVCHD camcorder recording in 5.1 audio. As Barb says for SD it is a problem. If you were recording in HD you would just select the "AVCHD HD 1080i 30 5.1 audio" project preset your problems would go away.

As it is you either have to record in stereo or accept that your 5.1 audio will be put on track 4. You can delete tracks 2 and 3 (not 1) and this should clean up your timeline window.
                  • 6. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                    Barb__O Level 4
                    Chris,

Does the Sony HDR-12 have a choice to record the sound in stereo rather than as 5.1 audio? Of course even if it can be set differently in the future, that does nothing for existing video clips.

Because all the info to which I am about to refer exists on the forums at the community forums at
                    http://muvipix.com/home.php
                    I suggest that you also post your question and experiences on Premiere Elements 7 subforum at that site so that any continuing discussion will reside within the same forum - at least until there is a reasonable conclusion.

Links to threads in the community forums at muvipix with relevant information -

--- PE7 MPEG2 and Dolby Digital 5.1
                    at
                    http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4068
                    (the last 3 posts of this thread are the most interesting)

--- Can I make a project preset for MPEG2 & 5.1 audio?
                    at
                    http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4806&p=42095#p42095
                    (unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to test this suggestion: it does seem promising)
                    • 7. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                      (Ben_Rudolph)
                      I am having this same problem, only I am recording using a Sony GL 1, mini DV. Im pretty sure that this is not 5.1 audio.

The odd part is that I go to a college where they give us our laptops to use, and there are 6 other people using the exact same program, and settings that I have, and no one else has experienced this problem but me. And I have it on a consistent basis.
                      • 8. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                        This might be worth a call to Adobe Tech Support.
                        http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56
                        • 9. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                          (Ben_Rudolph) Level 1
                          Thanks Steve! Will do! I was hoping to avoid having to do that, but it seems like the best option right now
                          • 10. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                            REKopacz

I just started having this problem in PE 7. Does anybody know why this is happening? I cannot find a resolution anywhere. Thanks!

PS I just tried to call Adobe and they told me because PE 8 is out already, I have to buy a service contract :-o!

• 11. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline

It's happened for me when there's been a music clip on the soundtrack audio track. When I've temporarily removed or moved the track, was able to edit again.

• 12. Re: Can't move clips around in timeline
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

There seem to be certain circumstances, where the fixed Audio Tracks, Narration and Soundtrack get "locked." When this has happened, most users have found that if they just move the Clips from either of those fixed Audio Tracks, to say Audio Track 3, things work fine. Exactly what causes this behavior has not been discovered, and it seems that they might actually differ, Project to Project, but must be related to the workflow - just what it is, seems cloudy.

Good luck,

Hunt