12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2009 3:04 PM by Philip in Melbourne

Low System Resource

Philip in Melbourne
      I must be doing something wrong. Premiere 4 keeps crashing. Here is my system info.
      XP Service Pack 3
      Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
      2GB RAM
      Reading other users with the same problem, I set the page file size to 4096 minimum and maximum. There remains 19G available on the C drive.
      I have 73 clips in AVI format from which to make my video. The clips average about 10MB each. The total of all these clips is about 5 minutes of video. Once I GET MEDIA and select them all, I get the low resources message.
      Task Manager shows the Commit Charge to be:
      Total: 1.79GB
      Limit: 6.13GB
      Peak: 2.07GB
      Shouldn't Premiere use the remaining 4GB of virtual memory? It never does, according to Task Manager. Once it hits 2GB it crashes or freezes.
      I tried booting up with minimal resources using msconfig. This saves me about 300MB, but it makes no difference. Premiere takes the commit charge to 2GB and exits.
        • 1. Re: Low System Resource
          Paul_LS Level 4
          What format are the clips? You say AVI but this covers a large number of codecs. If you do not know the "type" use GSpot to find out.
          http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
          • 2. Re: Low System Resource
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            A lot depends on what type of AVIs you're using and how you got them into your computer.

The fact that you say your AVIs are about 10 meg each tells me they're not likely DV-AVIs (which are nearly 500 meg per minute).

Other AVI codecs, such as those from video shot on a still camera, can choke this program because it constantly needs to convert them on the fly.
            • 3. Re: Low System Resource
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              i "There remains 19G available on the C drive."

What is the configuration of the I/O (Input/Output, basically your hard drives and controller) part of your system?

If you are placing almost anything, video related, onto your C:\, you WILL have problems. Now, if you have multiple hard drives, and your Project, and your Assets are on these, you might get by. Still, a cleaning of the C:\ should be looked into.

This does not dismiss the need to give answers to the above questions, as a CODEC, like XviD, or DivX, can cause similar. These delivery CODEC's cause PE to work overtime, even the most simple tasks.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Low System Resource
                Philip in Melbourne Level 1
                Hi Steve,

That's helpful. GSpot reports that the AVI files are Motion JPG. Can I convert then to a smaller version of AVI that won't trouble Premier Elements 4? Will I lose quality?
                • 5. Re: Low System Resource
                  Hi Brother :-)

Not sure what you're asking. The C: drive is 55G with 27G free. There's a D: drive where I keep all my docs and finished video. It is 186G with 46G free. I also have a MyBook connected through USB 2.0 with 931G of which 550G is free. I thought that since the C: drive was the main one, then using it would be faster. Sounds like you are telling me that I'd be better off to split the disk drive load between the two drives. Yes?
                  • 6. Re: Low System Resource
                    Paul_LS Level 4
                    You can convert them to DV-AVI which are larger file sizes or download and install a free trial MJPEG codec. This will solve your issues. The trial will watermark your clips if you export them as MJPEG (not sure why you would want to) unless you purchase it for $9.95, from here:
                    http://www.leadcodecs.com/Codecs/LEAD-MCMP-MJPEG.htm
                    • 7. Re: Low System Resource
                      Well this is interesting. The link takes me to a page where the prices start at $595 (USD?) and the trial is 60 days limited. I'll try this, but GSpot reports that I already have the Motion JPEG codec installed. So why do I need another one?
                      • 8. Re: Low System Resource
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                        You've got two challenges going on, Philip. Fortunately, one is easy to fix for free.

You can convert MJPEG-AVIs to DV-AVIs using Windows MovieMaker, per the FAQs at the top of this forum:
                        http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2

The second challenge may be harder to resolve.

An 80 gig hard drive is simply not large enough to do any serious video work on -- particularly with only 25 gigabytes free, the minimum free space you'd want to work with (and that's quickly going to go away when you convert your MJPEGs to DV files).

The best solution would be to add a second hard drive, even an external one. If you move your project and media files out to that drive and keep at least 20-25 gigabytes free on your C drive, you should be able to work off your second drive and still use your C drive for paging files.
                        • 9. Re: Low System Resource
                          Paul_LS Level 4
                          Strange, the MJPEG codec link has changed since I last used it. For some reason with MJPEG you need to install the codec aftyer you have installed PE4. Many folks have the issue with MJPEG. Installing the codec resolves it. You could try this free one:
                          http://www.free-codecs.com/Motion_JPEG_Codec_download.htm
                          • 10. Re: Low System Resource
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Brother Phillip,

The ideal I/O setup is to have the OS and programs (plus the Page File*, Windows' Virtual Memory file) on one's C:\. Media would be on another physical** (very important distinction) drive, say D:\. Projects, Scratch Discs, etc. on a third physical drive, say E:\ and Exports on a fourth, F:\ in this case. In a perfect world, all would be SATA II internals.

Now, we seldom live in a perfect world, so we make do, with what we have. Steve is 100% correct that a small, nearly full C:\ will get in the way of editing, especially if much is located on it, in the way of files (Project, Export, Scratch Discs, etc.) from your NLE. All NLE's create gigantic working files, that will fill a lot of HDD real estate, and quickly. Usually, we do not even see these working files, but they are created transparently and are necessary.

You mention that you have a USB external. One possible use of this would be for your media files, which are also large, but do not get changed all that often, until Export/Share. Personally, I find a USB connection too slow to edit to/from. I do use a lot of FW-800 externals, and they work fine. FW-400 isn't bad, but still slow and sluggish, for me.

Being an 80GB HDD, I'd guess that you are on a laptop. This can be a limiting factor, as well. I had my laptop built with 3x 200GB SATA II's, and use a series of 2TB FW-800 externals. I do edit to/from these. In the case of my laptop, I have OS and programs on C:\, Page File set to static at 3x my RAM (4GB) on D:\, and usually Project and Scratch Discs on E:\. Media is on one external (Y:\ set in the OS of all of my systems, so it's always the same drive letter) and Exports to another external, Z:\.

Some report success with using USB externals to edit to/from, but I found them doggedly slow and quickly opted for FW connections, jumping up to the FW-800, when they became available. I'd experiment with placing all media on it, and then spreading the work to your other HDD's. I'd also look into cleaning up and defragging the C:\, to keep it as clean and free, as is possible.

As for the Motion JPEG CODEC, if G-Spot tells you that you have it installed, you should be good to go. Steve's suggestion about converting to DV-AVI is a good one, as that is the native format for most NLE's, PE included. One little caveat about Windows Movie Maker (WMM). It Exports as DV-AVI Type I, while most NLE's want Type II. There can be Audio sync issues, plus others, with Type I files. I use a shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter (Deskshare) to do 99% of my conversions. It's cheap (~US$40), and seldom fails me. It does need for all necessary CODEC's to be installed, as it does not ship with its own. It does batch processing, so I can load up a dozen files, set it, hit Convert and go get a cup of coffee. When I return, it's done. For M-JPEG CODEC's, Lead, and Morgan, are two of the most popular ones.

Good luck,

Hunt

* there is debate on whether performance is better with the Page File on C:\, located on another fast HDD, or even split between C:\ and another fast HDD. I have found the laptop to be fastest with method 2, and my workstation with method 3. One must conduct a lot of tests, of their equipment. Barring that, keeping it on C:\, with plenty of room, especially if set to "dynamic," works, and is the default.

** again,
                            i physical
                            is very important. Nowadays, there is nothing to be gained by partitioning a physical HDD, with the fewest of exceptions.
                            • 11. Re: Low System Resource
                              Paul_LS Level 4
                              "As for the Motion JPEG CODEC, if G-Spot tells you that you have it installed, you should be good to go."....

... for some reason Premiere Elements sometimes has problems recognising an installed MJPEG codec... for example if you have the Panasonic DV-AVI codec installed Premiere Elements will not "use" an MJPEG codec until you remove or unregister the Panasonic DV-AVI codec. The low resource issue is quite common with the MJPEG codec in PE, however, if you re-install the MJPEG codec it resolves the issue.
                              • 12. Re: Low System Resource
                                Thanks everyone. I'll do some more work on this over the weekend. Hope to report success. I really appreciate everyone's patient help and advice.