13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2009 5:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Moving blur on premier elements 7

Does anybody know how to do a moving blur on premier elements 7 ????

Seems its possible to do it frame by frame but that is ridiculously slow

Seems their is info on how to do a moving blur on elements 4 a the pro

version, but the procedure dosent apply to elements 7. Anyoneout their understand this software ???
        • 1. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Have you clicked on the Effects button (under the Edit tab) and tried either Fast Blur or Gaussian Blur?

I realize Fast Blur only gives you the options horizontal, vertical or both, but it's the closest thing to a Photoshop style Motion Blur in the tool set.
          • 2. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Dale,

This is for "highlighting" a moving object, but it's basically the same: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6d47e/4

For more direct "moving blur," see: http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutdes_ppro2_smoothface.htm

The Blur can be keyframed, so you do not have to do it frame-by-frame. Here is another:
            http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_blur/obscure_a_specific_part_of_the_frame%3 F [Watch for line break]

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
              Level 1
              This is a video tutorial I did for PE3 but it would still apply.

http://www.freewebs.com/pe3help/faceblureffect.htm
              • 4. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                Level 1
                hew r hawkins Im so sorry but Im not game to Go through trying to understan PE3 Ive had followed so many "false trails" with people and everything else, trying to tell me how to do, then ever so briefly mentioning "This is how i do it on Elements 4 this is how I do it on pro etc etc. Click on computor ask about elements 7 and get Elements 4 or pro everytime. ITS DIFFERENT !!! HAVE YOU USED ELEMENTS 7 !!!! IF YOU DID YOU WOULD KNOW IT IS DIFFERENT !!!! TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, TRUST ME, IT IS DIFFERENT !!!! Could someone who uses Elements 7 please answer the question ? The rest of you are bogging us down in infomation THAT DOES NOT APPLY. Common someone "fess up" Elements 7 is a complete dud isnt it? Common confess someone, so we can buy Sony or Avid or Fianal Cut Pro and move on and try forget the whole nightmare experence.
                Sincerely Dale
                • 5. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                  The reason you're going down so many false trails, Dale, is because we're still not clear what you're looking for.

"Blur" can mean so many things.

If you're just looking for a motion blur, the closest thing Premiere Elements offers is what I explained in my very first post.

If you're looking to blur a face, like they do on COPS, that's a different task and the other explanations above will help you.

But if you can explain what you're trying to do -- or better yet show us an example in a video -- we can certainly show you how to do it!

I guarantee you, if Hunt, Ron and I can't tell you how to do it, it can't be done!
                  • 6. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                    Level 1
                    Ok, Cant be any clearer than this. Im trying to do a moving guassson blur, and so is my teacher. like when an undercover Cop is on news on the T.V.,and walking out of a court case, and they dont want to show his face so he walks across the screen and the blur that blurs out his face follows him as he walks across the screen. Does anybody know how to do this on Elements 7, AND PLEASE dont gove me examples of Elemenat 4 or pro, BECAUSE 7 is different, now give us a break please. Tell us how to do it on 7, is you dont know 7 is different to 4 and pro with this procedure, you know the programe less than me
                    • 7. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                      Level 1
                      Dale,

I have Premiere Elements 7 and I know how to achieve the effect you want.

I can understand your frustration, but please don't take it out on the other
                      forum members. They are trying to help you and the technique to do what you
                      want to do is the same as in the other versions. Just the user interface
                      has changed so the way you perform the steps in the technique is a little
                      different. As you get more familiar with how to do things in PE7, it will
                      become easier to figure out how to adapt other tutorials to PE7.

Here's what you need to do:

First, you need to be in Timeline mode.

Second, you need three video tracks. Let's assume they will be on video
                      tracks 1 through 3. Video track 1 is your original footage. Video track 2
                      is also your original footage (after you add the clip to track 1, click on
                      the edit tab then the project button to get the project panel, then drag the
                      same clip to track 2 in the timeline panel -- the "video usage" column will
                      now have a "2" in it). Optionally, you can unlink the video and audio for
                      the clip on track 2 and delete the audio -- you don't need it. Video track
                      3 is the circle or oval that defines the area to be blurred. The easiest
                      way to create that is to make a title that contains no text -- use the
                      ellipse tool in the titler to create and size the circle.

Third, apply the Gaussian Blur effect and then the Track Matte Key effect to
                      Video track 2. I prefer the Mosaic Effect to Gaussian Blur, but you can use
                      whatever you want. While track 2 is selected, click on the properties
                      button in the timeline panel. You can now set the properties for the two
                      effects. Adjust the blurriness setting of Gausian Blur to the desired
                      level. Under the Track Matte Key, set the "Matte:" value to "video3". If
                      you used the titler to make the circle, you can leave the other settings at
                      their default.

All the remains is for you to keyframe the position of the circle on video
                      track 3 to follow the position of whatever it is that you are obscuring.
                      Place the current time indicator at the start of the clip. Select video
                      track 3 and position the circle over the object to be obscured. Set a
                      position keyframe. Move the current time indicator from the beginning to
                      the end of the clip while watching the monitor, reposition the circle and
                      set new keyframes as needed to track the object.

That's it.
                      • 8. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                        Level 1
                        thankyou thankyou Robert, Was up all night last night mostly trying to figure this out, quite brain dead now. Yes, sorry for starting to take it out on forum members and this site that constantly takes me away from PE7 and takes me to PE4 3 and pro. If I knew their was a pro I would have bought it, just found how to do on utube, I think, a long way back to remember and it just said "Adobe Premier" and all that was on com shop shelves was Premeier elements 7.

Thankyou for the diplomatic way you said the "technique" is the same on all the elements, use "user interface" is different. No one gets pooie then, but hey for a beginer, its all the same, the procedures are different, Elements 7 is different, they cant race ahead assuming I can "guess" how convert their directions to the new "user interface". Not even my teacher could do that!

thankyou again for what appears to be the most accurate and simplified explanation so far. Give me a week and mayb I will understand you, Ha ha. But seriously hope the teacher now has a good lead to follow, and can teach me very soon.

But, my friend, have you told me everything I need to know??? Will it all work smoothly now ??? In a half asleep haze i read stacks of forum Q & A's. And it seems heaps of people are having problems with this moving blur, indeed it seems one of the hardest effects. AND other software from other companys also have problems with this. Wow.I need to blur about 16hours of video, website is waiting for me to upload, paying $200 a month to server for an empty site. Some in Adobe forum are saying it freezes, it all falls to bits at the end, their is a bug, all the programes have the same bug it never got fixed.... And,,, what looked like the answer, but wow so complicated, and that solution was to add extra "clipboard" software. My friend I'm a farmer and a ditch digger, never worked in N.A.S.A :-) Sure promice.

If I have someone standing behind me telling me were to click etc, I can do it. Adobe dosent have lessions in Brisbane, only every other capital city. (Hey whats wrong their?) Cant find a private teacher who understands it. The only 1 I could find, poor guy, he's knocking himself out, like me.

But Thankyou thankyou, You have got us closer.

Sincerely
                        Dale
                        • 9. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                          Level 1
                          Oh yea keyframe, totally different AHEM "user interface" to PE4 PE3 Pro etc etc. Can this be enlarged??? Hope i dont have to move, or track, the face blur on those tiny little images? Thanks again
                          • 10. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                            Now that we know you want a track matte rather than a motion blur, we can help you, Dale.

My article also may help you.
                            http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_02-06.htm
                            • 11. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              @ Robert H Jones,

Thanks for the step-by-step. If you would be so kind as to educate me a bit though. Looking at the steps outlined, I could not find any difference in the technique between PE7 and PE4 (or really PrPro, for that matter). What am I missing? As I do not have PE7, the difference is probably staring me in the face. I'd gladly update my tutorial in Tips & Tricks, to give the PE7 version, but cannot find what to change.

Looking at your detailed response, the only thing that I see is a slightly different way of getting Video from the Project Panel to Video Track 2 (VT2). I think I used the Alt-click on the Video on VT1 (the Alt-click Selects just the Video portion) to "Copy" it to VT 2. That saves having to Delete the Audio, that will come in, if one just uses another instance of the Asset from the Project Panel. Still, the end result would be the exact same.

I appreciate your helping me to update the tutorial. Is there an Effect name change, or similar that I am just overlooking?

Thanks,

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                                Level 1
                                "Thanks for the step-by-step. If you would be so kind as to educate me a bit
                                though. Looking at the steps outlined, I could not find any difference in
                                the technique between PE7 and PE4 (or really PrPro, for that matter). What
                                am I missing?"

Nothing Hunt. There is no difference in technique. Only in the user
                                interface -- where things are located, how they look, and how you get to
                                them. But that's enough to terribly confuse some people.

For example, in version 3, when you select a clip on the timeline the
                                properties panel is automatically displayed and you can easily adjust effect
                                properties immediately after you add the effect. With version 4 and 7 that
                                doesn't happen, you have to manually bring up the properties panel -- with
                                version 4 using the context menu you get from right clicking on the clip,
                                with version 7 there is a properties button. In version 3, the effects
                                panel and the properties panel were separate and could be display at the
                                same time. With Version 7, they share the same space in the tasks panel and
                                have to be displayed sequentially. Which means, it may be easier in some
                                instances to add all the effects to the clip first and then adjust the
                                properties. The effect properties are the generally the same, but version 7
                                often adds a slider in addition to the value field as happens in the
                                Gaussian Blur effect, for example.

"I think I used the Alt-click on the Video on VT1 (the Alt-click Selects
                                just the Video portion) to "Copy" it to VT 2. That saves having to Delete
                                the Audio, that will come in, if one just uses another instance of the Asset
                                from the Project Panel. Still, the end result would be the exact same."

Yes, the Alt-click works the same in version 7. I just thought it would be
                                less confusing to Dale to use the other method.
                                • 13. Re: Moving blur on premier elements 7
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  Robert,

Thank you for the clarification. I read, and re-read the thread, but could not see any major differences. However, the OP was at odds with the operation in other versions, and I could not understand the problem. Yes, exact interfaces do make a difference. I am still learning PE4's, as I use PrPro2 for most of my work. Still, the basics are very, very similar. I was worried that I was spacing out on something very important, and version specific.

Appreciated,

Hunt