9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2009 5:12 AM by Steve Grisetti

Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output

ruzun Level 1
      I guess my question boils down to -

What settings can I use to create a file that can be played off an AVCHD disc without transcoding.

What settings can I use to create a file that can be played off a Blu-Ray disc without transcoding.
      ------------------------------------------------------
      One of the major problems I have with PE7 is that I cannot seem to find any output that is compatible with authoring a Blu-Ray disc or an AVCHD disc. The BluRay option will not allow me to output to a file, and I don't have a Blu-Ray burner on my authoring machine.

For the most part I want to output a file that can go on a BluRay or AVCHD format disc without transcoding. I can output a high bitrate MPEG4 or MPEG2 file, but when I use Nero to make a BluRay or AVCHD disc, it always transcodes the file even though it appears to be compatible with BluRay or AVCHD.

When I just replace the 00000.m2ts file on the authored disc with a renamed version of the Adobe output, the disc won't play so apparently it DOES need to be transcoded.
        • 1. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You can output both or either, under the Share/Disc tab.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "create without transcoding."

Of course there's going to be transcoding! That's how DVD and BluRay files are made!
          • 2. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
            ruzun Level 1
            I mean transcoding AFTER the file is made, I mean additional transcoding of the final output file. Right now under the Share/Disc tab you cannot create a file for AVCHD or Blu-Ray at all, you have to burn it directly to disc. This is not what I want. I want to create a file that is compatible as-is with Blu-Ray or AVCHD discs, a file that does NOT require subsequent transcoding by the program authoring the disc.

No MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 file I can create using Premiere will work "as-is" on an AVCHD or Blu-Ray disc, they all seem to require additional transcoding by the authoring program. I could burn straight from PRE7 to a blu-ray disc if I had a blu-ray burner on my machine, but this would be inconvenient, I don't want to actually burn discs on this machine, just create files that I could use to burn a disc on a separate machine. I want these files to be useable "as-is" without requiring additional transcoding by the authoring program.
            • 3. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
              Paul_LS Level 4
              I export using the H.264 preset from PE7 and burn AVCHD high def discs with Corel DVD Moviefactory without transcoding. Unfortunately NERO will not burn an AVCHD disc without transcoding. As I also have DVD Moviefactory it is not so much of an issue. Note DVD Moviefactory can also burn Blu-ray and the program is relatively inexpensive.
              • 4. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
                ruzun Level 1
                Nero is insisting on transcoding everything that comes out of PRE7, looks like I need to try a different authoring program. For now I output a high bitrate MPEG-2 file, then transcode that file to an mpeg-4 file in nero, then I can use that mpeg-4 file to author AVCHD's without additional transcoding.

If I had Corel it looks like I could author AVCHD's without having to do that conversion, if I used the H.264 option in PRE7.
                • 5. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  If you are trying to create an AVCHD DVD, there is a trick you can use, but it will cost you $19.95. What you do is use Phantom Drive to set up a virtual Blu-ray disc that can be written to by Premiere Elements. Then after Premiere Elements has burned the virtual BD, you copy the 00000.mts file from the virtual BD disc to your hard drive. That 00000.mts file will be Smart Encoded in Nero Vision when you burn a AVCHD DVD.

If you have Windows XP, you will also need Nero InCD Reader, which is a separate and free download from Nero. You don't need it if you have Windows Vista. It allows you to read a UDF 2.5 file system, which is what BD uses.

See http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3896

Amazingly, Nero won't Smart Encode that same 00000.mts file when burning a BD disc, just an AVCHD DVD. The reason is that Nero doesn't support AVCHD BD, just MPEG-2 BD. That's in Nero 8 Vision.
                  • 6. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
                    ruzun Level 1
                    Paul LS:
                    I'm trying Corel DVD Moviefactory, I had to buy a plugin as well as the main program. It still seems to transcode H.264 files, but the default bitrate is above 18mpbs in PRE7.

How do you create files in PRE7 that Corel Moviefactory will accept as is? Did you have to change the bitrate? Did you have to change anything else in the PRE7 setup?

P.S. Yes, it seems the default bitrate of 20-21mpbs is too high for Corel Moviefactory to accept. When I output 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 H.264 files with a max bitrate of 17.8 mbps, the authoring in MovieFactory is fast, with no transcoding. But if I use a higher bitrate it seems to go slow, indicating transcoding.

Have you been able to make AVCHD discs with files in excess of 18mbps?
                    • 7. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
                      Paul_LS Level 4
                      Hi Roger, my Sony CX7 AVCHD camcorder has a maximum bit rate of 15mbps. Therefore I have always exported my H.264 files from PE7 at this bit rate and therefore have not seen this issue in DVD Moviefactory. I will have a play and see if I see the same.
                      • 8. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
                        I've had all kinds of issues trying to burn iMovie HD movies to Blu-ray using Toast. I have an old version of Premier Elements and am thinking about buying the newest version. Does it burn blu-ray without any issues? Mainly I get audio/video sync issues and occasional video display type oddities but it's the audio/video sync thing that's driving me nuts.

Or am I obliged to buy Premier Pro to get an app that actually does what it's supposed to do, reliably. Apple doesn't have anything which is shameful.

Also, can Premier Elements import iMovie files or am I stuck reimporting/editing the whole movie again.

I'm on Leopard, Mac Pro quad, 4gb of ram.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Andrew
                        • 9. Re: Creating Blu-Ray or AVCHD Compatible output
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                          No need to post more than once, Andrew. It only leads to confusion. We're addressing your question in your other thread.