11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 12:26 AM by (beau_geste)

elements 7 keeps crashing

Level 1
      I am constantly getting the message that i am running low on system memory and then shortly after the program crashes. there is only 3 minutes of footage on the timeline with no effects or anything please let me know how i can fix this problem?
        • 1. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
          Paul_LS Level 4
          What is the footage you have on your timeline? And what are your computer specs?
          • 2. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            And what kind of camcorder did the video come from?
            • 3. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              This is aimed a Premiere Pro, but may help - First, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link... For question #1 see the note about the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
              • 4. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                I have been having this same problem. I also have a problem with my videos stuttering or flickering. I have a Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20 GHz 2.19 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM Windows XP Pro. I have a video I've been working on and keep getting interrupted with this "low physical memory" message and the response to my actions gets slower and slower. I get weird things like still images showing upside down. We upgraded with 2G of RAm but only have 1.25 extra showing up for some reason. Any help with this will be very appreciated. I am not trying to do anything too complicated. I just like making videos for my family mostly with still images and videos from my digital camera (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50). The videos started out playing fine in the timeline it seemed to be after editing (splitting clips, etc.) that they started to "flicker". Don't know if it's my computer or gliches with the software. Please help!
                • 5. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                  Level 1
                  In both cases (rikki & Jen), not knowing your computer specs and video format used, makes for speculation on possible solutions.

Even a screaming computer will encounter issues with outdated firmware, software drivers, and things like Quicktime.

That being said, making sure your system has all the latest updates and converting video formats to DV-AVI before importing into PE, will make a world of difference.

In many cases, this approach eliminates most, if not all issues, and makes the experience much more enjoyable.

As a general rule, conversion to DV-AVI is the ticket to the promised land...
                  • 6. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                    The chief reasons for these problems is the file format you're editing. That's why I asked rikki where is video came from.

Video from a still camera can be very problematic for Premiere Elements. That's why we recommend converting it to DV-AVI in the FAQs at the top of this forum.
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2

Photos can also be a problem if they aren't optimized. That's why, in the FAQs at the top of this forum, we recommend sizing them to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb8822c
                    • 7. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Jennifer,

The Sony site did not give specs on what "movie" format this camera records in. G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) is a freeware program that should be able to tell you all of the specifics about your files, especially if they are some flavor of .AVI, or .MPEG.

As others have mentioned, that is *likely* the root of your problems.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for the quick response! I really want to get this figured out so I can continue with my videos. GSpot says they are MPEG1 muxed(?) not sure what that means but it says what I need is already installed. If this is the problem how do I go about converting them to DV-AVI? Thanks again, Jennifer
                        • 9. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                          The link to conversion instructions are in my last post, post #6. (You may need to click show All Messages to see it.)
                          • 10. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                            Level 1
                            <Jennifer_Heisterkamp@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />news:59b85fb2.3@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI<br /><br />> I have been having this same problem. I also have a<br />> problem with my videos stuttering or flickering. I have a<br />> Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20 GHz 2.19<br />> GHz, 3.25 GB RAM Windows XP Pro.<br /><br />> We upgraded with 2G of RAm<br />> but only have 1.25 extra showing up for some reason.<br /><br />If you upgrade a 2 GB RAM PC with 2 more GB of RAM in a PC that is running a <br />32 bit operating system like standard XP,  somewhere between half and 1 GB <br />of the RAM will not be added to XP's real memory memory pool because it <br />overlays various areas that XP uses to communicate with the PC hardware, <br />particularly I/O cards.
                            • 11. Re: elements 7 keeps crashing
                              Level 1
                              Jennifer please use windows movie maker to convert your clips to DV-AVI and then try working on your project.
                              Thanks.