4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2009 12:36 PM by Steve Grisetti

Do photos get resized when sending from PSE 6 to PE 4?

Level 1
      Do photos get resized when moving them from PSE 6 to PE4?

I've come to understand that using overly large photos in slide shows in PE 4 can cause lots of issues, and its recommended to resize photos to 1000x750 (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb8822c) before including them in a slide show in PE4. I'm trying to understand the implications of working with photos in PSE 6 and then moving to PE 4 vs. just doing it directly in PE 4.

I can imagine (at least) two scenarios:
      1. I have all my photos in PE6 and want to work ONLY in PE4. I'm guessing i would resize my photos in the PSE 6 Organizer by using File-->Export and picking a smaller file size (e.g., 1024 x 768) and then import them into PE4 and build my slide show there.

2. I have all my photos in PSE 6 and want to to create a slide show there and then move it to PE 4 to touch it up or do some fancy stuff to it. Will the photos be resized so PE 4 won't have trouble with them or do i need to resize them in PSE 6, reimport them into PSE 6, build the slide show, and THEN send it to PE 4?
        • 1. Re: Do photos get resized when sending from PSE 6 to PE 4?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          The photos are not resized between Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, Eric. They are merely loaded with whatever slideshow features you've added in Photoshop Elements.

Once the slideshow file has been ported into a Premiere Elements project, you can right-click on it and break it back into photos for further work.

But, as you noted, you do want to size your photos to 1000x750 before you work on a slideshow you plan to finish in Premiere Elements.
          • 2. Re: Do photos get resized when sending from PSE 6 to PE 4?
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Eric,

As mentioned in the previous thead, I will do the re-sizing to exactly what I want to do with the image. This might mean that I will do many at the 1000x750 size, with normal Pans. A few more might go slightly over that, but it depends on what I need to do. Many will be re-sized to 720x480, if only Zooms in, or out to no more than full size are required. I always prepare my still Assets in Photoshop, before any Import to Premiere. I've never used PSE and its Slideshow function, so cannot comment on that.

The 1000x750 is a good Max. and is commonly cited, because it allows a fair amount of Panning. This also facilitates doing everything in a single batch. My method requires more work, but then I can usually narrow it down to a half-dozen different "batches." If the director (or I) changes their mind, then I do need to re-size differently, but that time is billable. [Grin]

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Do photos get resized when sending from PSE 6 to PE 4?
              Barb__O Level 4
              eric,

See my post over at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b85fd0/4
              for reasons why I think that for your current objectives, working in Premiere Elements (rather than making a slide show in PSE) will be a better choice.

>1. I have all my photos in PE6 and want to work ONLY in PE4. I'm guessing i would resize my photos in the PSE 6 Organizer by using File-->Export and picking a smaller file size (e.g., 1024 x 768) and then import them into PE4 and build my slide show there.

Yes.

A couple of considerations

1- Where will you establish the sequence of the photos in the slide show?

Are you making an Album in PSE 6 in order to establish the sequence of the slides as you are selecting which photos to use? if YES, we can experiment with sending the photo files in their Album sequence to Premiere Elements.

Or will you establish the sequence of the photos within Premiere Elements?

2- When working in Premiere Elements will you be able to do the 600 slides in a single PE project?

I don't know the answer to this: it will be influenced by your system configuration.
              • 4. Re: Do photos get resized when sending from PSE 6 to PE 4?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                600 is a lot of slides for a single slideshow! Although you'll increase your odds of succeeding if you've sized your slides to 1000x750 pixels, it would be wisest to do this in parts.

Why not do 5 projects with 100 photos each? You could then output each slideshow as a DV-AVI and then combine the 5 AVIs into one final project for your DVD.