5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2009 1:59 PM by Steve Grisetti

Is there an easy way to pan and zoom still slides in PE4?

Level 1
      Either i'm totally stupid, or why is it so hard to pan and zoom still slides in PE4?

I'm trying to create a slide show in PE4, and i want to pan and zoom on each slide -- nothing overly fancy, but i want to control where the beginning and end point is for each zoom. It's really easy to do this in PSE 6 -- it shows you green and red boxes for where the pans/zooms begin and end and you can just grab the boundaries and change them. in PE 4, it seems you have to use presets (which are only pans OR zooms) or resort to Keyframes which are very complicated and VERY POORLY explained in the Adobe PE4/PSE6 classroom in a book.

Is there an easy way to do pans and zooms without being a rocket scientist?
        • 1. Re: Is there an easy way to pan and zoom still slides in PE4?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Eric, this is your third thread on pretty much the same subject! It's getting tough to chase down all your postings and figure out what has been answered in which thread.

I have explained some steps in one thread and linked you to an article that explains everything in another.

There's also the issue of keyframing. And that's explained in this free Steve's Tips article as well as in both my book on Premiere Elements.
          http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=41

If you'd like to follow up with me or anyone else on slideshows, can I ask you to keep it in the same thread though? That way we can build on what we know you understand or what has been earlier advised.
          • 2. Re: Is there an easy way to pan and zoom still slides in PE4?
            Level 1
            Sure, Steve -- sorry, i wasn't sure if doing it all in one posting or many would be best, as each one has a separate but related question.

i'll stick with my original post...
            • 3. Re: Is there an easy way to pan and zoom still slides in PE4?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Eric,

The ability to use Keyframing in infinitely powerful. However, with that power comes some hand-work.

However, once one has their head around the concept of Keyframing, the mechanics of it, plus the options, it becomes easy and second nature. It's getting to that point, that requires a bit of work and practice. I second Steve's tip link, as a great place to start. Once you become comfortable with the power, you'll likely never go back to any form of "Random Pan & Zoom."

Now, the work that I do is usually very tightly scripted. Each "move" depends on the exact subject and what I, or the director, want at that moment, with that image. I often have this part figured out, before I re-size the images for Import. If I need more Pan, then I'll go a bit larger. Less Pan and I'll get it right at the DVD frame size (720x480 PAR 0.9, in my case).

Learning which Panels to have open, and when, will go a long way to making the experience easier and more enjoyable, so setting up one's Workspace is very important. Big, honking monitors also make the editing experience more pleasant.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Is there an easy way to pan and zoom still slides in PE4?
                Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                I created a simple Movie Theme for Premiere Elements 4 that contains 20 pans and zooms like you get in Photoshop Elements 6.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2464
                • 5. Re: Is there an easy way to pan and zoom still slides in PE4?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  Thanks, Robert!

I've also created some presets for panning and zooming in Premiere Elements that will work as long as your photos are 1000x750 pixels in size. Instructions for installing the presets are in the Zip file.

Once they're installed, you apply them just by dragging them onto photo on the timeline.
                  http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=10