12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 5:00 PM by the_wine_snob

NO SOUND IN PREMIERE

Hi, I currently work with Adobe Premiere V4. Until now I have had no problems, however, the last video I did, when I play back through Adobe it has sound, once I share it, either onto my computer or direct on to DVD, I get no sound, please help
      Leanne
        • 1. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          What are you using for your source video? What kind of camcorder did it come from and how did you get it into your computer.

This problem is common with MPEGs and DVD files.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbc6cab
          • 2. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
            Level 1
            I am using a Panasonic, the same camcorder I have been using for months with no problems. I download the footage through Adobe Premiere V4.
            • 3. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
              Unfortunately, that doesn't tell me anything about the video format, Leanne. Panasonic makes many, many kinds of cameras and camcorders. Sorry.
              • 4. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                Level 1
                Panasonic NV-GS75 with 3CCD technology, I haven't had this problem until now, it has always been fine. I use a USB and up load it straight into Adobe Premiere, Adobe saves it as a video clip file. I hope this helps
                • 5. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                  You're saying you can capture over USB directly into Premiere Elements? That generally won't work, particularly from a miniDV camcorder.

Most likely your problem will go away if you capture over a FireWire connection instead.

But once we know more about what kind of file you're outputting from Premiere Elements and how you're testing it (or whether the DVD you're outputting plays without sound only on your computer or only on your DVD player or in both places).

I really am going to need some details in order to help you.
                  • 6. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                    Level 1
                    I have always been been able to take it from my miniDV camcorder, and have never had any problems before. I don't know what type of file Adobe outputs it on to DVD as, but everything is done through Adobe. When it is up loaded into Adobe, there is sound, but when i put it on to DVD there is no sound, whether I play it through my DVD player, or computer that i use with Adobe. I believe Adobe outputs it as VOB files. Surely if there was a problem with the way the it is uploaded then there would no sound even through Adobe? Please let me know what other information you need
                    • 7. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                      Again, if you capture with FireWire rather than USB, I"m sure your problems will go away.

The video you're getting from your miniDV camcorder, are they AVIs? If you play one in Windows Media Player and go to the File menu and select Properties, does it show as using the DV codec? What about the audio?
                      • 8. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        As far as I know, Premiere of any flavor does not work with USB, only firewire

What CODEC is created when you use USB?

FREE Gspot to find out what CODEC created a file

What are your exact export settings when you create the DVD?
                        • 9. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                          Premiere Elements does support USB capture -- but only for a rare type of USB capture called USB Video Class.

It's possible Leanne's camcorder has it, since she has been using it to capture into Premiere Elements. But in my experience, the results have been pretty spotty. That's why I suggested trying FireWire capture -- which works virtually every time.
                          • 10. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Leanne,

You are correct that PE writes a VIDEO_TS folder with the .VOB files, plus a few more in the .INF and .BUP format. The Audio is included in the .VOB files (up to four at 1GB max for a DVD-5).

Now, why you are not getting the Audio to the .VOB durning the Burn is the problem.

Let's start with your Project. We'll ignore the Capture for a moment here, but let's not ignore that completely.
                            1.) you have Captured footage, that you have in your Project Panel. It has Audio, and can be played in the Source Monitor, if you Dbl-click on it, right? If you have not viewed, and listened to your source footage in the Source Monitor, try that - Dbl-click on it in the Project Panel, and you should see/hear it in the Source Monitor (different than the regular Monitor for watching your Timeline play).
                            2.) you bring this footage to the Timeline, by either dragging from the Project Panel, or from the Source Monitor.
                            3.) now Play your Timeline (Spacebar will start it) and watch/listen in the Monitor (looks almost like your Source Monitor).
                            4.) based on your description above, all should be good at this point. Is that correct? Now, you need to take over and outline any steps that you perform from this point. I'm *guessing* that one of those steps is the problem, but I need you to tell us what exactly is being done. If any of the first 3 steps is wrong (remember, we're not mentioning Capture at this point, as we assume that you got both Audio & Video, 'cause you heard and saw it), please let me know which one and what your exact results were.

If you can get your Audio (and Video) to this point, we can help you get it onto the DVD - I guarantee it. There is probably just one step that is getting in the way. I have an idea of what it might be, but need you to outline every next step, so I'm not shooting in the dark.

Good luck, and I'll be looking for those next steps. Be as specific, as you can, plus give all settings that you chose. This will help us follow along and duplicate your steps on our systems. Someone WILL spot the problem.

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                              Level 1
                              I will havw a go at what you have suggested although just so you, I don't know if this will help, but when I add music, then i get all the sound, inc the original sound from the video capture. Does this help at all?
                              • 12. Re: NO SOUND IN PREMIERE
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Leanne,

I am a bit confused. Let me restate what I think you just said, and please correct me, if I got it wrong.

You add the Clips (muxed with both Video & Audio) to the Timeline, but do not hear any Audio. You then add a Soundtrack, and suddenly the Audio from your Clips can NOW be heard. If that is correct, I'm stumped.

In your Project, without the Soundtrack, go to the Audio Mixer, and look to see if an Audio Track is Muted, or if another Audio Track is Solo'ed. I am otherwise not sure how the addition of a Soundtrack would then bring up the Clips' Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Leanne, you might want to look down this thread to near the end. Maybe give ASIO4All a try, and make sure your PE Audio Hardware setting point to it, after installation.