9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 11:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Transferring to another PC

(mark_Donougher)
      I have a home network of three PC's. Two run Vista (with Windows Media Centre). My main home PC runs XP and has Premiere Elements 3.0 installed. I have created a slide show (with audio) and I want to play it on one of the other machines (which are linked to HD screens). When I copy the Premiere file across the network to one of the other machines, the other machines cannot play it. What should I do?
        • 1. Re: Transferring to another PC
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Make sure the other computer has the proper CODEC installed
          • 2. Re: Transferring to another PC
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Mark,

Please give us the details of how you Exported from PE3. What is the file container and, as John asks, what is the CODEC?

Since you are going from your editing machine with XP, to a Vista machine, John has probably nailed the problem. Your XP box has a CODEC, that Vista does not have. This is common, and one reason that people try for delivery formats that are as universal, as is possible.

Personally, I'd install G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) on each the XP and one Vista box. Why on both? Well, on the XP machine, it will tell you all the details, especially the CODEC used, and whether it's properly installed. Obviously, it is, because you used it. On the Vista box, it will confirm that it does not have that CODEC properly installed. The most likely scenario. All you will have to do is locate that CODEC and install it on the Vista box(es).

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Transferring to another PC
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              Also, you say you created a slideshow and you want to play it.

What are you trying to play? Is it file you've ouput (as WMV, AVI or MPEG) from Premiere Elements or are you trying to play the Premiere Elements project file?
              • 4. Re: Transferring to another PC
                (mark_Donougher) Level 1
                Thank you both! I have created a Premiere Elements Project file (only 613k) with about 10 photos from CS4. I have also added an MP3 sound track. I then copied and pasted the project file from my XP machine's hard drive to an external drive on the home network. Thenswitching on the new Vista machine, I navigated to that external hard drive and X2 clicked. If I x2 click from my XP machine, then the project launches. If I x2 click from my Vista machine, it doesn't. Therefore, should I simply install my PSE3.0 intsall disc on the Vista machince (is that what you mean by CODEC)?.
                • 5. Re: Transferring to another PC
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                  You can't play a Premiere Elements project on a computer with Premiere Elements, Mark!

In fact, you can't play the project file unless you've also got the assets (in this case, the original photos) on the computer too.

My recommendation is that you output (share) your slideshow from Premiere Elements as a WMV or MPEG file. Then you can move that WMV or MPEG to a new computer and you should have no problems playing it.
                  • 6. Re: Transferring to another PC
                    (mark_Donougher) Level 1
                    That is really helpful, thank you. If I moved the assets there also, could that work? Or, just create the slide show on the Vista machine, having installed Premier on it first? Will the images be as good (hi res) as those that I can see on Windows Media Slide Show (which clraely isn't as versatile) but does show great res.
                    • 7. Re: Transferring to another PC
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Mark,

You will need PE installed on the Vista machine to do anything with the .PREL file. It is only an XML database, that links to the original Assets, and wants to first see them in their original location (the location that you had, when you created the Project originally). Now, once PE is properly installed on the Vista machine, you can Open that Project, with one caveat. PE will look in the exact original location for the linked files. When it does not find them, where they
                      i were
                      located, it should ask you to locate them on your Vista machine. Note: you do need all Assets available on the Vista machine. If you have all Assets in a common folder, it should link to all, once you point it into the right location. If you have sub-folder structures, you will then need to point it to each sub-folder. I would do a Save_As and assign a new Project name to it, on the Vista machine.

If it cannot link to the Assets, it will display Media Offline, with a multi-language placeholder icon for each missing Asset. Note: if you do a Save at this point, you can only manually link to the Assets, and this will take a lot of clicking. Better to do a Save_As, with the Media Offline, 'cause you cannot go back, other than manually.

PE is pretty smart, when you help it locate the Assets the first time. See above for limitations due to sub-folders.

As Steve points out, the .PREL (Project file) is useless, unless you have PE installed. It is not a media file. It cannot be played. It is just a list of all operations and Assets. For grins, open it in WordPad, and take a look at it. Do not alter it, and Cancel out, without doing any sort of Save. You'll see a bunch of XML language, with coding symbols. This is what PE reads from and writes to. Your Assets are not contained within it, only links to those Assets.

You need to Share/Export to a media file, to play what you have done. Until you do that, nothing can play the file, because there is nothing to play.

Good luck,

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Transferring to another PC
                        (mark_Donougher) Level 1
                        Brilliant! Thank you! I have seen all the XML stuff and given the PREL file size, I suspected that it was only reading from somewhere. A flash of inspiration. If I construct my PREL file slide show on my XP machine (only because its more convenient) by using the assets on the external hard drive (NAS Buffalo), and store the project on THAT drive, then if I launch PE from the Vista machine, then it should read from the external drive also? Thus two machines, both running PE, drawing off the central asset? I'll give it a go.
                        • 9. Re: Transferring to another PC
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Mark,

None of the Premiere programs run particularly well with networked drives. Also, even with a gigabit NAS connection, you might find this too slow to effectively edit from. It's worth a try, however. If you are connecting via wireless to the NAS, I doubt that you'll be pleased with the performance, but could be wrong.

I'd suggest an eSATA (or FW-800) external HDD instead. This could be moved between the various computers. I use a bank of 2TB FW-800 externals to do this between my laptop and my workstation. The connection is fast enough, that I detect no slowdown. I keep all Assets and the Projects on the externals and just plug them into the required machine. eSATA is even faster.

One bit of warning: make sure that if you use externals, you assign the same drive letter to that HDD in the OS of both machines. It must be seen as the same drive letter in each. For my externals, I set each up as Z:\, Y:\, X:\, W:\, etc., so that I do not conflict on either machine with any other HDD's, or multi-drives. Since the workstation has 6 internals, 1 floppy and 2 multi-drives, I went to the end of the alphabet and worked backward. Remember, set the same drive letter in the OS of each machine, so Windows does not assign another letter to it. Mark the externals clearly.

Hunt