9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 10:43 AM by Alan B Baker

Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls

Alan B Baker Level 1
      I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 4 on my PC to develop a DVD containing clips of old home movies. My PC is running Windows XP Professional. My movie will have about 23 scenes and I am currently planning to use the Generic One menu template.

I want to include 2 Bonus Features on my DVD along with my movie. Each feature consists of multi-page text.

Since I would like to permit each viewer to read the text at his/her own pace, I would like to put the text for each feature on a set of successive screens. Each screen would contain part of the text and a set of navigation arrows at the bottom: i.e., previous, main menu, and next (if appropriate). Each screen would perform like a scene menu screen in that it would remain up for as long as you wished and then respond to your desired navigation input command.

How can I implement this in PE4?

Thanks for your help.

Alan Baker
      abbaker2@comcast.net
        • 1. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Some DVD authoring programs offer ROM content, along with the standard DVD files. This ROM content is only accessible from a computer, not a DVD set-top player. One can create a folder with the documents, say in .PDF form, but remember, it can only be accessed from a computer. To get to this from a DVD set-top player, you'd need to create titles in your NLE and basically do a slide-show with those titles. If I were going to add ROM content, I'd do a title on either a Menu, or elsewhere, instructing the user of the availability on a computer of this material.

I do not believe that any version of PE allows for ROM content to be added. One might be able to Burn to a folder, then add the ROM content folder along with the VIDEO_TS (and maybe AUDIO_TS) folder, and then use ImgBurn to burn the complete structure.

Authoring programs like Encore make this an easy addition. Others will have to chime-in with other programs to use.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
            Robert J. Johnston Level 2
            What alan is asking for cannot be done in Premiere Elements. Probably the only low cost DVD authoring application that could do it is Sony DVD Architect Studio 4.5.

As for burning content on a DVD along with the Movie, you can do that in Premiere Elements using a trick, but I don't think that is what alan wants.
            • 3. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              I agree, Robert.

DVD Architect Studio costs under $50 (it's only $39.95 if you download it from the Sony site), and it can do exactly what Alan wants to do.
              • 4. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
                Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                There is another possibility, and that is Nero 8 Vision (that's the one I have). You can create however many movies and slideshows as you want on a DVD. For the slideshows you can specify a really large amount for display length of each slide, which Nero then does some tricky stuff so the slides takes up little space on the DVD. You can create some complicated menu structures now with Nero.
                • 5. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
                  Alan B Baker Level 1
                  Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate the suggestions.

I am a little confused. I have completed about a third of my project in PE4 using .avi video files and narrations over a separate music sound track. Do I have to start all over again using Sony DVD Architect Studio or Nero 8 Vision?

One of the text-based features that I would like to include really requires the capability to navigate between pages. I have Photoshop Elements 6 installed but I believe the slide show does not permit navigation.

Rather than start over with new software, could I, as Bill suggested, include a PDF file in the root directory of the DVD along with the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders? I would then add a message title somewhere in the movie telling the user of its availability. Will the inclusion of the PDF file impact the ability of the DVD player to play the movie?

Of course being able to view the PDF file directly on the DVD is preferable. I Googled ImgBurn but Im not sure how I would use the software in this application. Bill, could you expand on your suggestion?

Alan Baker
                  abbaker2@comcast.net
                  • 6. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Alan,

I wish that I knew DVD Architect, to answer your question. My *guess* would be that you could finish your Project in PE and then Export it, for Import into DVD Architect (like I do with Encore), but I am not sure. Others can tell you exactly how it would work. Also, a lot of folk over on the www.muvipix.com Community use it, so you might get some insight there too.

So long as your user is on a computer, with Adobe Acrobat Reader installed (might even furnish a link to that free program), the navigation by page could be done easily. You might need to construct your PDF document with that navigation in mind. I doubt that you would need the full Acrobat Pro, as most current word processors can output to .PDF. Just plan your pages in WordPerfect, Word, or whatever, to allow the navigation that you want.

Sonic WAS working on a program, eDVD, that would have allowed a set-top user to view and navigate .PDF's and similar. Unfortunately, they could not port it for Vista, and the last that I heard, the project had died. There might still be some copies of Sonic eDVD (think that was the official title) floating about the Web, but remember that it only made it to XP, and not Vista. Maybe Sonic, or someone else, will ressurrect it and make it work under Vista and Win7.

Good luck,

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                      Yes. You should complete your video editing in Premiere Elements.

When it is finished and are you ready to create your DVD, export your file as an MPEG2 (that's a DVD format). Both Nero and DVD Architect can use this file to create your DVD menus.
                      • 8. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
                        Alan B Baker Level 1

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Steve, when you say “complete your video editing in Premiere Elements”, does that include putting in the PE DVD navigation (Main, Scene & Stop) markers?

Will these other programs recognize & respond to these markers?

BTW, I subscribed to muvipix.com & downloaded a few of those tips Great stuff!

Alan Baker

abbaker2@comcast.net

• 9. Re: Text Screens with Menu-type Navigation Controls
                          Paul_LS Level 4

Hi Alan, Steve is taking a well deserved holiday this week. But from his responses he is suggesting to export as an MPEG2 file without DVD markers, then adding the DVD markers and menu in either NERO or Sony DVD Architect Studio (These programs will not recognise the PE7 DVD markers). Note if you export MPEG2 you need to use the smart-rendering in the applications to ensure your video isn't re-rendered... resulting in a slight quality hit.