11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2009 3:24 PM by Robert J. Johnston

Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline

Seems each step forward in PE4 involves a step or two backward.

I imported audio (a WAV file) to a newly-created audio track (Audio 4), and presto-change-o! my Sceneline contracted to a single frame that contains the video for the whole movie (3 mins. long). Previously, the Sceneline showed dozens of clips individually. If I clicked Play in either the Sceneline or Timeline, the movie still played normally.

Realizing that the Soundtrack was empty, I figured maybe I should have added the audio there, and maybe adding it where I did, in Audio 4, caused the disruption to the Sceneline. (I couldn't imagine why it should, but still...)

I deleted the recently-added audio, clicked on Audio 2 (the primary video track is Video 2, with opacity clips in Video 3), and clicked "Delete Empty Tracks," which got rid of my newly-created Audio 4.

This did not restore the Sceneline to its previous state.

In added the audio file to the Soundtrack. No change to the Sceneline.

The movie plays okay, including the new audio track, but with the Sceneline all compressed into one frame, I can't move clips or do any of the other editing tasks that are fast and easy in the Sceneline.

Anybody got an idea how I can restore my Sceneline?

John B
        • 1. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          John,

I find that working with and adding Audio is much easier in the Timeline. Try your operation there, and see if you do not get better results.

Good luck,

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            I agree. Switch to timeline and this should resolve itself.
            • 3. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
              Level 1
              Okay, I didn't make myself clear. I do add Audio in the Timeline mode, because it's much clearer where it should go. But after adding the track in this particular project, the next time I switched to the Sceneline mode, there was only one clip visible. The next one said "Drag next clip here."

With a little experimentation, I found that the single visible clip contained my whole movie, whereas previously there had been dozens of clips. Since the change, I can't perform any editing actions in the mini-timeline under the Monitor screen, such as adjusting in-points and out-points.

True, I can still do editing actions in the Timeline, and I can see all the individual clips there, but why PE4 suddenly consolidated all my clips into one in the Sceneline is an unintended result, and I'd like to avoid this in the future.

John B
              • 4. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                John,

As far as setting the In & Out Points, you should be able to Dbl-click on the Clip in the Project Panel, if you wish to use another instance of it, with different In & Out Points, or Dbl-click on the Clip instance in the Timeline and modify the In & Out Points in the Source Monitor Panel.

Hope I'm not missing something here,

Good luck,

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                  Level 1
                  Bill -- I very much appreciate your responses.

> Hope I'm not missing something here,

The thing is, I'm not asking for help in performing various editing functions despite the loss of the Sceneline editing capabilities. I can find my way around that loss for the purposes of this project.

What I really want to know is (1) why in $#@!! PE4 consolidated all the clips in my Sceneline into one clip (apparently as a result of my adding Audio to the Audio 4 channel), (2) is there any way to restore the multiple clips to the Sceneline, and most of all (3) how can I prevent this from happening in the future.

I've imported audio into other projects, never had this bad result before.

One thing I've figured out -- Any time I import Audio into the Timeline in future, I'll immediately check the Sceneline, and if the clips there have all been consolidated, I'll close the Project without saving changes, reopen it, and try another method of importing audio.

John B
                  • 6. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                    Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                    You have to move the primary video back down to video track 1.
                    • 7. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      John,

That is something that I cannot help with. I do not use PE as my primary NLE program, though the one I use, PrPro2, is very similar in a lot of ways. I also do not edit with the Sceneline. The closest that I come is to use the Thumbnail View in my Project Panel, in PrP.

Without knowing the "why," I think that Robert's instruction is probably the "how" part of the equation.

Sorry to not be of more help,

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                        Level 1
                        I think Robert J is right, and that moving the primary video track back to Video 1 will restore the normal Sceneline, but...

How??? do I do that? I've created an empty Video 1 / Audio 1 track, but can't for the life of me figure out how to move the primary video there. No help in Help (no useful result for "Move track.") I can drag individual clips, but not the whole track. Tried clicking the first clip in the Timeline, then Shift + click on the last to select all, but it doesn't work.

Sorry to be obtuse. I'm sure the answer is simple...

John B
                        • 9. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                          John, What I do to move all the clips from one track to another is first press the backward slash key so that the entire movie comes into view on the timeline. Then starting at the end of the track, I click and drag a rectangle (lasso) around the clips. Then you can drag the whole lot to another track.

Just on the timeline, shift-click works like CTRL-click in Windows Explorer. It just toggles selection on and off for the current item. I guess Adobe used shift-click instead of ctrl-click because ctrl-click is used for ripple edits.

I've also observed that track 1 is also used as the primary track for automatic placement of DVD markers at scenes. Clips on other tracks are ignored.
                          • 10. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                            Level 1
                            YES! That did it. Thanks, Robert. I had no idea pressing the backslash compresses the Timeline to show the whole movie, or that you could lasso a track. Nice to know.

What I did know, and what gave me brief trouble, is that when you try to drag a clip or a track vertically in the Timeline to a track or position that's not visible, dragging up or down does *not* force the tracks to scroll in the direction you want to go.

But I found that once I had the primary video/audio track lassoed, if I hit Ctrl-C (Copy) with my other hand, it did in fact copy what I had in the lasso. I then clicked the empty Video 1 / Audio 1 track, typed Ctrl-V (Paste), and the primary video/audio track copied into place.

And yes, with the primary video back in Video 1, all the clips once again display normally in the Sceneline, solving my original problem.

Thanks to Bill, Steve and Robert for contributing to the solution.

PROBLEM SOLVED, and important lesson learned: Don't let anything displace the primary video from Video 1.

John B
                            • 11. Re: Adding Audio Consolidated Sceneline
                              Good going, John. We are all happy that you are back on track.