5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2009 6:58 AM by the_wine_snob

'Share' Window - SAVE - Premiere crashes without message

When I am in the 'Share' Window and I select SAVE, Premiere Elements 4 closes without any message, regardless of the Sharing Option selected. It is as though no components are activated, yet I can not find a way to activate components. This is my first Premiere Elements 4 project.

I've have tried several projects with different configuration. The two save options I've tried are Save to Personal Computer and Save to DVD.

It is as if Premiere Elements crashes without giving any error message.

The product is totally unusable!!!!!!!
        • 1. Re: 'Share' Window - SAVE - Premiere crashes without message
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Saying it doesn't work, with ZERO project or computer details, has just about zero value here... people can't read minds or stick their heads through the 'net to see what you are doing

This is aimed a Premiere Pro, but may help - First, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link... For question #1 see the note about the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
          • 2. Re: 'Share' Window - SAVE - Premiere crashes without message
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
            I agree with John.

If you'd like help, we will need to know how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have and how much free space is left on your hard drive -- and, at the very least, what operating system you're using!

Other factors to consider is what type of video you're trying to edit and if you're computer is well maintained (including your ensuring that you have the latest version of Quicktime).

On the other hand, if you're not looking for help and just want to vent, that's okay too. We've even created a special sub-forum for you to do that in so that you don't get mixed up with the people who actually are looking for some assistance.
            • 3. Re: 'Share' Window - SAVE - Premiere crashes without message
              Level 1
              I diagnosed the problem, and is a nasty bug in Elements, both in versions 4 and 7. It simply isn't acceptable for a program to crash without providing any information about its crash!

The problem was an obsolete version of QuickTime on my PC. The solution, after much trial and error, was to uninstall and then reinstall the latest QuickTime.

By the way, the system is a well equipped XP system, and I had tried different types of projects, eventually a very simple project to try to isolate the problem. I also tried a repair on #4, then uninstalled it and downloaded the test version of #7 with the same crash. When I tried successfully on a different PC, I started looking at Element's prerequisites, which brought me to re-installing QuickTime.
              • 4. Re: 'Share' Window - SAVE - Premiere crashes without message
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
                Glad you found a solution, PL -- which was to keep your computer up to date. Though I don't know if it really counts as a "bug" in the program if you're required to meet the system requirements.
                • 5. Re: 'Share' Window - SAVE - Premiere crashes without message
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  PL,

The interface with QT is one of the reasons that Steve has that listed in the FAQ's and in many replies to error messages. Same for updating drivers, especially for video and audio equipment. One update from MS for the OS can render many drivers obsolete.

One of the problems with a program like PE is that it is really many modules. Some, like the DVD-authoring module (Sonic core), do not readily communicate with other modules, so error messages can be horribly cryptic, or non existant. Same thing, if the crash comes from something with the OS. That is one reason that I always recommend giving the Event Log (through Windows' Event Viewer) a good read, especially the Applications and System tabs. There is often a lot of useful info there (along with a bunch of code, that even MS cannot read!).

Glad you got it working, and thanks for reporting in with the fix.

Hunt