30 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 5:36 PM by Bernard_M_P

Error messege on PE2

Level 1
      Hi,

I am getting the following error message when opening an old project on PE2. Can anyone help me solve it?

[\dev\underdog\Libraries\DVDCreator\Src\PhotoshopImageStore.cpp-47]

Thanks
      Bobby
        • 1. Re: Error messege on PE2
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          What are you doing when you get this message and what type of file are you editing when you get it?
          • 2. Re: Error messege on PE2
            Level 1
            Im trying to open a project file, it starts loading then I get this error and the whole program crashes. I already tried other earlier versions of the project file but with similar results. I even reinstalled PE2 but no use.
            • 3. Re: Error messege on PE2
              Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer? It's important that you do.

Also, what operating system are you running, how fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free space is left on your hard drive?
              • 4. Re: Error messege on PE2
                Level 1
                I have just installed the latest version of Quicktime but still getting the same error. Before writing here I had reinstalled PE2 from fresh also. The system and all is the same as before when I had no problems, but just for your info I got 1.6Ghz AMD dual core and 2GB of RAM and a lot of free space.

Cheers
                • 5. Re: Error messege on PE2
                  "a lot of free space"

1 terrabyte of free space is a lot to some people. 1 gigabyte is a lot also -- but not nearly enough for our purposes.

Likewise, that processor is very fast for Windows XP -- but barely capable of running Vista with more intense applications, like video editing (particularly if this is a laptop). Unfortunately, I don't know what operating system you're using, so it's hard to make recommendations.

But you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the program to see if that fixes your problem.

Also, you say that this problem occurs when you're opening an old project. Does that mean it's not a problem when launching a new one? If so, where did the video come from that you're using in your old project?
                  • 6. Re: Error messege on PE2
                    Level 1
                    yea other projects, (new ones) have no problem. I also tried reinstalling again but no good.

I am using Win XP.

Thx
                    • 7. Re: Error messege on PE2
                      That's a major indicator that the problem is related to one corrupt file rather than the program itself, Bobby.

What type of video are you using as source files for this project? What kind of camcorder did it come from and how did you get it into your computer?
                      • 8. Re: Error messege on PE2
                        Level 1
                        Hi Steve,
                        I have a mixture of video files from digital camera and .avi files. I will check the video files to see if any of them have become corrupted because as I say before they were working and loading up.

Cheers
                        • 9. Re: Error messege on PE2
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Bobby121418,

While you're checking the files, also run them through G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) to see all the details of each, including the CODEC's used on them. AVI is but a wrapper. Like a stick of gum, a lot of different things can be inside that wrapper - juciey fruint, spearmint, etc.

Likely, your problem will lie with one of those.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Error messege on PE2
                            I agree with Hunt. "video files from digital camera and .avi files" could mean a number of things. Can you be a little more specific?

Video files from digital still cameras commonly cause problems for Premiere Elements, and that could well be at the core of your issues with this file!
                            • 11. Re: Error messege on PE2
                              Level 1
                              It could be that video files from digital camera are corrupt. This happened earlier with one of the .vob files and I had to convert it to .avi file in order to fix the problem. I dont remember what converter I used at the time but could be something similar has happened, even though the files are sitting on my external hard drive ever since.

Is it worth updating to later version of PE? Which version do you recommend (at least for later use) ?

Thanks
                              • 12. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                If there are features that you can use, then an upgrade should be considered.

However, files that do not work in PE2 are likely to not work in PE7. Finding out the info on these files will probably tell you how to proceed with them.

If they are corrupt, you might have luck with Digital Video Repair (www.risingreaserch.com) or similar. A lot of problems within AVI's can be fixed by this, or another, simple utility.

I'd download a copy of DVR, when you get G-Spot, and give it a go. At least DVR will tell you what is wrong with the AVI, even if it cannot repair the file.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                • 13. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                  You can also try converting these files using Windows MovieMaker.
                                  http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2

In fact, I definitely recommend you do this with any video from a still camera. Those videos tend to use codecs (like MJPEG) that give Premiere Elements major problems!
                                  • 14. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                    Level 1
                                    I tried the files with Gspot but did not see any errors. The program seemed to run through all the files without any issues. Also ran the .avi file through DVR, only two of them it said have read errors even though these ones showed no issues with Gspot. I am wondering if DVR has 2GB limit because both of these files are about 2GB in size. They also did not have any problem loading in PE2 before. So still not sure what is causing the error when opening the PE2 project.
                                    • 15. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                      Have you converted the files to DV-AVIs using MovieMaker?
                                      • 16. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Bobby,

What did G-Spot say was the CODEC used (upper right-hand corner)? Also, did you do a full test Render and Play with G-Spot (lower left-hand area of the GUI with the little numbers for Video & Audio)? A player will open up in G-Spot, if all Audio & Video Renders are good, and you can then test it there.

Hunt
                                        • 17. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                          Level 1
                                          Bill,
                                          I used GSpot again and upon pressing 2 on Video to render, I got an error

Failed to connect output pin 0xXXXXX "src media" 0xXXXX on filter DivX Demux connect direct failed

on the .avi files but also some erros on the .VOB files. I cannot copy/paste the data to put it here.

I am trying to use Moviemaker to convert but for now it is stuck for a long time.
                                          • 18. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Thanks. That shows that the AVI's, or this one at least, are encoded in DivX. This is a pretty good delivery format, but is not meant for any editing. Ideally, if you could go back to before that file was encoded into DivX and get the source material, you'd be a lot better off. The DivX encoding is also likely the reason that DVR could not handle it.

The next avenue to explore would be to use a 3rd party utility, like DigitalMedia Converter, to convert that file into DV-AVI Type II. However, depending on what the source file was, it has undergone extreme compression at least once already - maybe more depending. The data that was "thrown away" by the compression can never be recovered. It's gone forever. The conversion to DV-AVI will loose very little (you can measure the loss, but cannot see it on most computers or TV's), and should be able to edit satisfactorily. One problem however, is that if you output to DVD, WMV, MPEG, or almost any other delivery format, you will recompress and loose even more quality.

The FAQ's at the top of the main page also list several freeware conversion programs. Just remember that you want to convert to DV-AVI Type II. Almost any other format will introduce problems and likely more quality hits.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                            • 19. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                              Level 1
                                              Hi Bill,

I am working to get a converter that does DV-AVI type II, in the mean time however I tried to load the .avi files into a new project and though they open, there is no image/video. Since they are divx, I reinstalled divx package just in case but that did not help. Do you know what could be the problem with PE2 not displaying the video segments?

Thanks
                                              • 20. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                It's the DivX. PE cannot do the necessary conversion with that CODEC. Now, there are several "flavors" of DivX, and it seems that NLE's work a tad better with some, than with others.

The 3rd party conversion program will solve the issues, though the footage has been heavily compressed to begin with, so quality will suffer. I use DigitalMedia Converter (Deskshare), and it works with all properly installed CODEC's on one's system. It's about US$40, but I have a copy on each of my machines, just for this purpose. It also does batch conversions very nicely. In the FAQ's, at the top of the main forum page, are recommendations for others, and some are freeware. DMC has, or had, a trial, so you can try, before you buy. Remember, you will still need the DivX CODEC's installed on your system.

Unfortunately, DivX (and the open source Xvid) are delivery formats, and are not meant to be edited. Doing so will show a quality hit, but many people can live with that.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                                • 21. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                  Level 1
                                                  I got DMC and am converting the avi files to DV-avi now. I am getting in issue with one of the files though and that it is, it is converting only some of the file even though the original is a lot longer I am getting only a few seconds of the file. Do you know which is a godd software to repair .avi files?

Thanks
                                                  Bobby
                                                  • 22. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    Digital Video Repair (freeware: Link Here) does a pretty good job, but only works well with AVI. Most other formats will not even be touched by it.

I've yet to have DMC fail to fully convert a DivX encoded file, and this has included a lot of the DivX COCEC's. I'd try DVR (above) to see if there is a problem with the index (fairly common on files from the Internet), or some other issue.

Where did the problem files originate? Can you get a version prior to the DivX conversion? You may have to track down the source of the encoding, and get closer to the original. There are also several other conversion programs (mostly freeware) that are listed in the FAQ's at the top of the main forum page. Perhaps one of them will do a better job for you.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                                    • 23. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                      Level 1
                                                      The original source is a .VOB file and also with a problem, I rememebr now, that is why I converted it to .avi. I tried with VOBEdit, but couldnt figure out how to repair the file.

thanks
                                                      • 24. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        Bobby,

If you are starting with a .VOB it is in MPEG-2 format. Do NOT introduce DivX into the equation at any time, until you want to do a final Export for streaming video. That is what DivX does and does well. It causes all sorts of problems, if introduced at any other point.

As PE will ingest some .VOB files, that would be my first choice. Next, one could try renaming the .VOB to .MPEG and try Importing that. If that does not work, there are several freeware programs (listed in the FAQ's) that work better with .VOB's, than PE, which works OK with many.

Where did the .VOB file come from. Does your camera burn to a miniDVD, or similar, in that format?

Good luck,

Hunt
                                                        • 25. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                          Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I did what you suggested, converted the .VOB fiiles and also the .avi files, but still I am getting the same error when opening the project file. All the .VOB files come from a digital camcorder.

Thanks

Bobby

• 26. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Bobby,

In the conversion, did you choose DV-AVI Type II? There are a ton of things that can be in a .AVI file.

Just curious,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                              Level 1

Yes, absolutely, just like you mentioned before.

• 28. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Which conversion program did you use to produce the DV-AVI Type II files? Have you run these converted .AVI's though G-Spot? What does it say about the files? Any errors mentioned? When you look in the lower left pane in G-Spot, you'll see squares with numbers. If you press the Video 1, you should get a Video 2, below it. Press that, and get to the Video 3. There, you should be able to view the file in G-Spot. Same for the Audio, but with only two numbers. Does all play fine there?

If all is good, then we probably need to get more info on your Project, the other Assets, the Preset, and your system. The more info the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                                  Level 1

Hi again,

Still getting this error:

[\dev\underdog\Libraries\DVDCreator\Src\PhotoshopImageStore.cpp-47]

on opening a project. Already tried to convert the videos as was mentioned before but something must be wrong with the project file.

Anyone any ideas please?

Thanks

• 30. Re: Error messege on PE2
                                                                    Bernard_M_P Level 1

I'm getting the same error too. I have 3 projects that work but the remaining 6 fail with the same error. I'm not sure if I used some avi files that don't exist anymore on my computer (I found that some of the project files ask for location of mp3 or something ) but they still work afterwards HOwever, the 6 projects I am having problems with don't - they show its loading and at the very end (say around the 95% mark) they give the same

error and PE2 crashes.

\dev\underdog\Libraries\DVDCreator\Src\PhotoshopImageStore.cpp-47]

I want to copy them back to tape and am getting frustrated after so many hours of editing.... Help please.

I've downloaded teh Digital Vide Repair sofware - do I need to run it against the .prel file in PE2 or the actual video files that I downloaded from the camera????