7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 5:52 AM by the_wine_snob

Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video

I use PE 3.0. From a flash drive, I have captured a news segment from a broadcast TV station. I put it on the timeline to clean it up after which I then need to export to a DVD. The video and audio are out of synch by a few frames--"lip flap" as we used to call it in the biz.

I would like to drag the audio clip on the timeline just a few frames to the right or left to see if I can synch it, but when I try to drag the audio the video goes right with it. Any way to unlock the two? Thanks, Hank
        • 1. Re: Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          It's most likely due to the format of the original video file. Video from flash drives usually doesn't work well with Premiere Elements.

If you can tell me what file format that video is (AVI, MPEG, etc.) and what type of camera it came from, I can advise you on the best method for converting that file into a usable format.
          • 2. Re: Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video
            Level 1
            Thanks, as always, Steve. It says it's a Windows Movie file. It is a dub from the TV station "air" broadcast, but it took MANY steps to get it. (I also have an mpg file but the file size is 5x smaller. It too has the lip flap)

First, the TV station records its show onto DVDs. I got the DVD, then had to dub it to DVC Pro tape. From that tape, I ingested it into the Grass Valley Aurora non-linear editing system. Captured it onto the timeline and exported to the flash drive (thumb drive, etc.) in order to bring it home and work on it on my home computer with PE 3.0.

With so many steps, it's anybody's guess as to where the lip flap occured.

I was just hoping there was a quick fix in 3.0 where I could adjust the audio a few frames either way on the timeline. It's not horrible lip flap, like I said just a few frames here or there.
            • 3. Re: Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Hank,

I find it easiest to sync with the following method:

1.) Turn off Snap
              2.) Zoom way in on the Timeline
              3.) Alt-click on the Audio Clip (selects just the Audio)
              4.) Drag the amount necessary
              5.) Click away from the Audio (unselects it)
              6.) Turn on Snap

Because WMM Exports DV-AVI Type I files, and PE works with DV-AVI Type II files, that is likely where the OOS issue is thrown in. I convert from Type I to Type II with a 3rd party program, and usually have fine sync, provided that it was perfect in the source feed to begin with.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video
                Level 1
                Excellent Hunt! I will give it a try probably tomorrow morning. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post an informative reply. Hank
                • 5. Re: Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Other than a bit of careful watching and listening, it should go well. I usually forget to turn Snap back on, until I wonder why my Clips don't, well Snap.

Obviously, this works with a constant OOS issue. If one has "drifting" sync problems, you can do this in several places. As an example, let's say that we have a 10 min. Clip. The sync is good in the first min., but starts to drift. At the last point where sync is good, Razor the Clip and apply the above technique. Note: it might be easiest to separate the Clips, just for working, in case one needs to move the Audio earlier (to the left). In a very few instances, where all of the Audio needed to be retained, I've added a 01 sec. Black Video, and done a Dip-to-Black on either side of it. Usually, however, if the Audio goes earlier (to the left), the preceeding Audio can be shortened to accommodate it, or that new Clip's Audio can be shortenend slightly.

One then proceeds to the next spot, where the sync has drifted noticeably and then they repeat.

Usually with file format OOS issues, it's constant. I had a few dozen Clips that were all OOS by exactly 12 frames. Drifting sync can be done, but as you see there are a few more consideratios and more work. Drifting is often caused by sample-rate differences between the source files' Audio and the NLE. That's one reason that I like to get my Audio at 48KHz 16-bit and my Video at DV-AVI Type II, before I Import.

Good luck,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video
                    Level 1
                    Bill, thanks for coming to my rescue. That worked like a charm. I slide my audio 4 frames and it synched perfectly for the whole segment.

Again, many thanks.

Hank
                    • 7. Re: Need to slide audio track on 3.0 to synch with video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Hank,

Great! Glad that you were able to get things in sync.

Hunt