9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2009 3:14 AM by martinlindsay

Speed of operation of PE 7

martinlindsay
      I have just acquired PE 7 and meet system requirements. I have 1 GB ram and have and AMD Athlon tm 64 processor. I am trying to run PE7 and it's still very slow ( I don't need HD at this point in time). I can upgrade RAM. Does anyone know if I will notice a substantial difference if I do so?
      My system runs on Windows XP with SP3
      Kind Regards

Erika Lindsay
        • 1. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          I'd recommend at least 1.5 to 2 gig of RAM to run version 7 -- though that just lets the program work more smoothly. Speed is a product of your processor.

You don't say which AMD64 processor you have and how fast it runs, but that's an older processor so it may be marginal. It's up to you if you think it's too slow or if you can live with it.

But it could also depend on the type of video you're editing. The progrram works at its optimal best editing DV-AVIs captured over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder. Other video formats and photos that haven't been optimized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels can slow the program's performance considerably.
          • 2. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
            martinlindsay Level 1
            Thanks very much Steve. I have an AMD Athlon tm 64 3500 processor.
            I have a Canon MVX45i video camera which is about 3 years old. It is a mini dvd. Interstingly I did try and capture via firewire on the pE trial version. I had difficulties. I rang the sales department of Adobe and they didn't seem surprised about this. Apparantly my camera is getting old! I managed to download with USB. My goodness is the whole thing really so sensitive?

Any further advice would as always be appreciated and thanks again for responding so promptly.

Kind Regards

Erika
            • 3. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              A DVD camcorder won't capture to Premiere Elements in real time, over FireWire. You need to finalize the DVD, put it in your computer's DVD player and use the Get Media option under the Organize tab and the DVD option to download the footage as a file.

Alternatively, you can use your camcorder's software to capture your footage and import it into Premiere Elements. But in either event make sure your project is using the DVD/Flash Drive Camcorder project setting.

Working with DVD footage is never as efficient as working with DV-AVIs, Erika, but you should be able to do some basic editing with your computer without much lugging.

If you want more detailed information on version 7 or how to work with different file formats efficiently, you may want to check out my new book. It's available on Amazon.com or through the Muvipix.com store at: http://muvipix.com/products.php
              • 4. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
                Level 1
                Actually, I think that's a minDV camcorder. You might try to capture with a free utility called winDV http://windv.mourek.cz/

I usually use winDV to capture for either Elements or other video editng software because I never have dropped frames with it.
                • 5. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
                  New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                  Yup, Ed is correct
                  http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Camcorders/Digital/MVX45i/index.asp

I have been using WinDV for quite a while now, like it a lot more because it names the clips correctly unlike Premiere Elements ;)
                  It is definitely worth a try.
                  • 6. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
                    Ed.Macke Level 3
                    Erika,

With 1GB of memory, you could very well be running into swapping issues. If that's the case, adding another 1 GB of memory could mean huge performance gains.

I'm running a 3-year-old Dell (2.8 GHz Dual CPU) that came with 1GB of memory. Just running Windows and opening Premiere would use up around 750MB of memory; opening and editing a project would very quickly put me over 1GB, meaning requested memory > available memory, meaning swapping was killing my machine.

Putting in an extra 1GB fixed this problem. Memory is cheap, and 1GB is definitely underpowered for XP + Premiere, so I'd say add in another 1GB of memory and see what happens - it's cheaper than buying a new PC.

My other favorite trick is to use Task Manager to bump Premiere up a notch in priority. It wouldn't hurt to try, but I doubt that's your bottleneck. At least that's free. :)
                    • 7. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
                      Level 1
                      Simple answer to your quesiton is, yes upgrade to 2GB or 3GB RAM. This will help improve the performance of your application. Premiere Elements need lot of memory to work.
                      • 8. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
                        martinlindsay Level 1
                        To all who have replied to my query. I upgraded my computer to 2 MB Ram and this has definitely made a difference. PE7 works more smoothly and I can play the soundtrack in the timeline now (this had not been possible prior to upgrading). Still some glitches elsewhere but this has been a definite good move. Thanks to you all for your advice.
                        • 9. Re: Speed of operation of PE 7
                          martinlindsay Level 1
                          To all of you who kindly responded to my speed query. I upgraded to 2 MB Ram and this made a real difference and solved some of my problems- in particular I can now play the soundtrack in the timeline which was not possible before. Thanks to you all for your advice it was much appreciated- this knocks some glitches on the head.