24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2009 4:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Error message on PE7

martinlindsay
      I have recently upgraded from PE2 to PE7. I have also upgraded my computer from 1 to 2 MB Ram which has made a difference. The reason why I stopped using PE2 was because of frequent crashes and I reinstalled, defragmented etc and couldn't get it to work. I still encounter crashes with PE7. IN particular:-
      1. When I try and unlink video from audio and delete the audio so I can add my own music. After a few clips I receive the message " Sorry a serious error has occurred that requires PE to shut down."
      2. WHen I try and open projects, particularly those created in PE2. However, this does not happen all the time. This morning I tried to open a project I made. One copy triggered the error message "Sorry a serious error has occurred that requires PE to shut down." Another copy of the same project that I had saved under the "save a copy" function in PE opened ok.

How can I overcome this?

Many thanks

Erika
        • 1. Re: Error message on PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          What are your source video files? What type of camcorder did they come from and how did you get them into your computer?
          • 2. Re: Error message on PE7
            martinlindsay Level 1
            Hi Steve. I use AVI files for video. I originally capture the clips directly from my Canon mvx45i camcorder. In relation to the crashes that occur when I try and open copies- these are versions that I have saved when I have finished editing for the day. THey have opened up previously I have only recently started having this problem. I have saved these on the external hard disk.

I was using PE7 this morning to edit one such film. After editing each time for about 4 minutes the programme crashed. Again these projects I have succesfully opened in the past.

Kind Regards

Erika
            • 3. Re: Error message on PE7
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Erika,

While you are sorting out the cause of your problem, here's a workaround for the errors encountered while Linking/Unliknking:

Instead of separating (Unlinking/Deleting) the Audio, just run its Volume to -∞. This will "mute" your Audio. No need then to Unlink it.

This does not address the underlying problem, but should let you do more editing, with fewer errors, until the problem is corrected.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Error message on PE7
                Meantime, Erika, look at your project and see if there are red lines on the timeline over some or all of your clips.

Since you are using miniDV captured over FireWire as your source, you should see few red lines, except where you've added titles or effects.

If you're seeing lots of red lines, you can ease the stress on your system's resources by pressing enter regularly so that the program can render these areas (the red lines will turn green).

On the other hand, if EVERY clip has a red line above it, something is set up wrong somewhere, and that could explain why the program regularly crashes.
                • 5. Re: Error message on PE7
                  martinlindsay Level 1
                  Bill thanks for the tip. That will certainly help in the meantime.

Kind Regards

Erika
                  • 6. Re: Error message on PE7
                    martinlindsay Level 1
                    Steve

Thanks as always for your help. I render my project by clicking on TIMELINE and choosing the render option. I tend to render as I go along when I add transitions, titles or photos. As well as saving the project as I edit I do one last save before closing down for the day. When I open the project the next day, the lines are still green as the rendering has been saved. However, I have noticed increasingly and particularly since changing to PE7 that the lines are all red again when I open the project as if the rendering has not been saved. Sometimes also PE7 says it cannot find my rendered project. SOmetimes this is a glitch and I reclick and it works. Other times I have to rely on a slightly earlier version of the project, which does open.

None of this happened on PE2. I have been continuing with PE7 in the same way- are you saying I have to change settings in any way? Any other help would also be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Erika
                    • 7. Re: Error message on PE7
                      When you place your clips on your timeline and don't add any effects, are there red lines above the clips? If so, this is an indication that your project settings are not correct.
                      • 8. Re: Error message on PE7
                        martinlindsay Level 1
                        Steve. Thanks again. No that bit is ok. No red lines when I first capture the clips and then ask for them to show in the timeline. The red lines of course appear as I add transitions. As mentioned the system sometimes has problems saving the rendering. The lines go green at the end of my editing. Then when I try and open the project on another day, red lines have appeared on the whole of the project and sometimes PE7 says it cannot find the rendered version. presumably as a result of the rendering not being saved. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Erika
                        • 9. Re: Error message on PE7
                          Something is wrong, Erika, but I don't have enough information to help you.

Is there something you're not telling me? For instance, are your project or video files on an external drive? Did you open a version 2 project with version 7?

Under a normal workflow, this should not be happening.
                          • 10. Re: Error message on PE7
                            martinlindsay Level 1
                            Steve thanks again. Yes my project files are on an external drive. I was advised to do this when I first started using PE2. If I have understood correctly, if I save files to my computer then there is a risk they will scatter and PE won't find them which happened when i first got PE2.

Some of the projects which I can't open are PE2 which I am trying to open with PE7 as PE2 keeps crashing. However, I managed to open one such file yesterday and edited it.I rendered and saved as usual. Today I cannot open the same project as PE tells me it cannot find the rendered version.

Many thanks

Erika
                            • 11. Re: Error message on PE7
                              One of the disadvantages of working on an external drive is that, in many situations, Windows assigns a different drive letter to the drive every time you plug it in to your USB jack or reboot your computer, etc.

And, when the drive has a different name, Premiere Elements thinks you've moved the project, media files, render files, etc.

Is that the case? Every time you run your computer, is that external drive always the L drive, for instance?

Also, are you saving your video projects and media files into a sub-folder on this drive or just out on the drive, in its main directory? Sometimes not putting a project into its own sub-folder can lead to problems with the program locating your file.

Again, there may be more going on that you haven't yet told us, so it's hard to say if that alone is the problem. It might well be worth a call to Adobe Tech Support. They can talk you through some troubleshooting and ask a lot of the questions we aren't able to on this forum.
                              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56
                              • 12. Re: Error message on PE7
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Erika,

With external HDD's, you run the risk of the OS assigning a different drive letter, as Steve points out.

For each computer (if you move the external between them), you can assign the same drive letter to that external, so that everytime it is attached it always shows with that drive letter. You MUST do this in the OS for each computer.

As the exact proceedure differs with OS's and even versions of OS's, you are probably best to go to Start>Help & Support>Search, then type in "drive letter." (without the "'s). Look down the list for "Assign, change, or remove a drive letter." Choose "Using the Windows Interface," and follow the hot link. Make sure that your external is hooked up, when you do this. Locate your external (check the name of the external) and assign a drive letter to it. Do the same for all computers, so the same drive letter is assigned by all.

This will at least get the drive letter matching, evertime you connect it, or Open you Project. If you have it assigned as, say I:\ in your PE Project, that is what you will want all of the time. Choose that, to "lock" that drive letter into your OS.

I edit to/from externals all of the time. Each has a unique drive letter in the OS of all of my computers. I started with Z:\ and work backward, whenever I add a new external to the mix. With FireWire-800 connections, these work fine with little slowdown in the editing process.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                • 13. Re: Error message on PE7
                                  martinlindsay Level 1
                                  Steve & Hunt thanks for that advice. It's true that some days the letter of my hard drive is different. The vast majority of the time it is G but some of today and at other times it is F. Looks like I need to change it. Also, I do open sub folders for each project. For example today's project is in a sub folder called Australia 1. I go in to scratch disks and ask the clips to be saved under this folder.

Just before writing I did get in to my Australia project (having not been able to do so yesterday). I was editing ok and rendering transitions. Again I tried to unhook audio from video and the following message came up:-

Premiere Elements Debug Event
                                  PE has encountered an error ../../SCi/Marker/Markers.cpp.187

Followed by

PE has encountered a serious error and has to close down.

Not sure if this sheds more light on this.
                                  I will try ensuring the external hard disk is correctly labelled on my computer. If this doesn't work I'll have to persuade Adobe that I have a problem as they don't offer technical support to ordinary users other than at some vast fee. I really feel something is not working properly.
                                  • 14. Re: Error message on PE7
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Erika,

Back to the drive letter aspect. If you have been building Projects with floating drive letters on the same external -
                                    b STOP!

You will want to consider which letter you assign. The reason for this is, given your examples, some Projects will look for F:\ and some will look for G:\. You will get things correct for, say the Projects referencing F:\, but will have to re-Link the Assets from the others, that reference G:\. I'd look at these Projects, and choose the drive letter that is referenced in the most of these.

PE is pretty smart with regards to Assets. Depending on the Project's folder structure, it will ask you to locate the first Asset. When you do, by navigating a typical Windows' file dialog box. All Assets in that Project in that folder will automatically link. Where the folder structure changes, you'll need to navigate to that sub-folder. Again, PE will link to all in that folder. And on, and on. This can be tedious, so plan your action first.

If, for instance, only your old Projects reference F:\, and your new Projects reference G:\, then go with G:\, knowing that if you open any of those older Projects, you will need to re-link, before you can work with the Assets in that Project. Please plan ahead.

One note: re-linking is easier, when you Open a Project. One could just choose Offline All to get the Project Open. If you do this, the re-linking can be done from the Project Panel. If you do choose Offline All, then do a Save_As for your Project. You'd much rather re-link from the initial pop-up, rather than from the Project Panel. This will save you a few clicks per Asset and will progress automatically. In Project Panel, you'll have to go down the list, and do it manually. If you just do Save, with Assets Offline, then you have only one choice - manually re-linking from the Project Panel. Avoid having to do so, to save mouse clicks.

When you acquire your next external HDD, after you have set it up (possibly NTFS instead of FAT-32), then set its drive letter in the OS. I go backward down the alphabet, as I have one machine with a ton of internal HDD's. My Maxtor 2TB units are: Z:\, Y:\, X:\, W:\, V:\ and U:\. This allows me to plug them into each of my computers, and not get in the way of any machine's internal drive letters.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                    • 15. Re: Error message on PE7
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      Erika,

I wanted to get the previous post up, in hopes that you would see it, before you arbitrarily chose a drive letter, without knowing the possible implications.

Now, to your un-linking of your Audio & Video. First, Steve wrote the book on PE7, literally. He's the guy to have in your corner, with problems.

Download and install a little freeware program, G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot). Launch it and Open one of your AVI files. Tell us what all of the CODEC's listed are, please. This is both Audio and Video CODEC's. I agree with Steve, that the first place to look is the Asset. What you are encountering is not typical of any Adobe NLE. Now, I do not have PE7, but have never seen this in any of the versions of P-Pro, or PE4. Do not recall anyone in any of these forums ever having this issue. Where I'm going with this is that it is most likely to be a problem with your Assets, then with your system. Just having your Project and Assets on an external, should not give you this problem - that I can imagine. That narrows it down to the Assets, themselves, or to something else with your system.

You might want to start doing your research on both, the Assets and your system. Look over this link to get an idea of what will likely be asked: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6da89/3

Some will not apply to you, as you have already posted, and have clearly stated your problem already.

Narrowing down a cause for problems, such as this, can be a harrowing experience. Were any of us sitting in front of your computer, we'd still go poking around for this info. Rather than launching into a "20 Questions" list of replies, and replies to replies.

This can get sticky, as people might come up with "tests" for you to do. I'd complete any Projects, that you can. Then, set up the "test" Projects in their own folder structure.

Steve also has some great recs. on optimizing one's system. These are in the FAQ's. I'd work through those first.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                      • 16. Re: Error message on PE7
                                        martinlindsay Level 1
                                        Hunt

Thanks very much indeed for your help. I'm reading the FAQs and will try the test with your software. In the meantime I've set the external hard disk to G as per usual. I went through properties in all the folders on my external hard disk and they all show G. I did manage to open some PE2 folders today. It's so obvious about the numbering that I feel silly not realising! I checked the scratchdisk settings to ensure the project was being saved to the correct file. I had not problems with this on PE2. Interestingly I noticed that the folder on each new project defaulted to the previous project I had open. Therefore I had to make sure they were changed. Perhaps some files are in the wrong place on my hard disk as a consequence? Still doesn't explain why some old projects won't open ( the manual that comes with PE7 clearly states the old projects can be opened with PE7 without any further software). I'll persevere.

Thanks again

Kind Regards

Erika
                                        • 17. Re: Error message on PE7
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          Erika,

Don't forget to read the previous versions' FAQ's too. Not all that much totally version-specific. Skip over any entries that are. There is a great deal to be picked up by reading them all. (Also, then you won't have those little red flags besides them on the Main page... Grin)

Good luck,

Hunt
                                          • 18. Re: Error message on PE7
                                            martinlindsay Level 1
                                            To Steve and Hunt

I just wanted to thank you both again for all your advice. I've made some progress with my PE7. I thought I 'd let you know and also set it out for the benefit of other users.

I have done the following:-

1. Checked my external hard drive and set my computer to ensure all projects are saved to my G drive. As a result of this, I can retrieve projects much more easily.

2. Upgraded to 2 MB of ram. THis has improved playback in Timeline including the soundtrack.

3. I telephoned Adobe as I was still getting lots of fatal crashes and error messages. The consultant suggested I upgrade the driver for my graphics card (mine was from 2004). This has definitely helped. Playback in Timeline is now smooth. I do get far less crashes. However, occasionally I do get crashes still, particularly if I try and unlink audio from video or if I have done a string of actions e.g "delete audio". Adobe are looking in to this. INterestingly if memory serves, when I bought the first version ever of PE the same crashes happened when I unlinked audio and video. This was cleared with PE2. Not sure if there is a connection?

All in all I am much happier and hope the remaining glitches will be sorted out.

Kind Regards to you both

Erika
                                            • 19. Re: Error message on PE7
                                              Well, almost there is certainly preferable to nowhere near there, Erika!

I'm glad things are more workable for you. As we say, keep Quicktime updated as well as your RealTek and other drivers and keep your computer clean and maintained and you'll definitely increase your odds for success.

Here's what I do weekly, and my PC at home runs better than my Mac at the office!
                                              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a/0
                                              • 20. Re: Error message on PE7
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                Erika,

Thank you for reporting back in. You are correct, in that it will certainly benefit someone else later on.

I'll be interested to hear if you get full resolution on the un-linking of the Audio. With all drivers updated (needs to be done almost weekly, unfortunately), I cannot imagine what is causing the crashes. I do this same operation on nearly every Project (though in PP2), and have never seen such behavior. Almost all of my Audio gets Rendered and Replaced and worked on in Audition.

Good luck, and as Steve says [to paraphrase], you are "almost there."

Hunt

PS Steve, I did not know that you have gone over to the "Dark Side," at your office. I know of an excorcist, who might be able to help you with that "Mac problem... " [Grin]
                                                • 21. Re: Error message on PE7
                                                  Like Democrats and Republicans, Macs and PCs can both work side-by-side to solve the world's problems, Hunt.

Okay, maybe Democrats and Republicans aren't a good example...
                                                  • 22. Re: Error message on PE7
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    Going back into the Dark Ages, I had many clients on Mac. They were firmly convinced that any image file, that had ever been opened on a PC would be infected by the ju-ju, or similar. None ever realized that all of my Photoshop work was done on a PC.

Only problem that I ever had was with one post-house, that had a Mac-PC network. When I delivered a SyQuest disk in Mac format, they had problems. When I delivered the same files on a PC-SyQuest, they had problems. Finally, I helped them rebuild their network, and then either worked perfectly. No ju-ju, no curses, nothing, but a faulty network.

Had one client insist that some major post-work be done specifically on a Mac. I handed off the files to their choice of Mac production person. They could not handle the giant (in those days) files and kept insisting that it was the fact that the files came from a PC. I kept reducing the size to nearly nothing. Finally, the Mac could handle the file, but the quality was now horrible. After the Mac-person spent days and the output was unusable, I finally convinced the client to let me finish the job on my PC and handed off a perfect file on a SyQuest 270.

Luckily, things, and times, have changed.

Hunt
                                                    • 23. Re: Error message on PE7
                                                      SyQuest?

Man, those WERE the dark ages!
                                                      • 24. Re: Error message on PE7
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        Hey, I still have a box of 22MB & 44MB SyQuests, plus 100's & 270's, and then the SyJet 1GB's! I still have the decks, but none have been hooked up in years. Luckily, I still have SCSI on a few old computers, so after I get spiders out of the decks, I could still probably use them. Need some Zip disks?

Yeah, the Dark Ages,

Hunt