14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 3:23 AM by Steve Grisetti

Highlighting a potion of a video Clip

Hi:

I am putting together a football highlight video of my son's games. I want to put an arrow or a shadow at the beginning of each clip to point him out in the video. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I go about creating this? I am new to editing videos. Any help would be great.
      Thanks
      Cathy
        • 1. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          You can create a layered Photoshop document and place it on a video track above your main video, positioning it as needed.

I've attached one you can use.
          • 2. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Cathy,

Your post should have gone into the main section of the forum, as this is sub-form is for posting tips and tricks - the "how tos." Maybe Steve will move it to the main section.

Now, for your question, the way to "highlight" a moving object is with a Track Matte. Curt Wrigley has a good tutorial:
            http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutdes_ppro_blurface.htm
            on the basics of how this is done. I believe that this particular tutorial was done for Premiere 6.5, 7, but the basics will translate to PE.

Take a good long look at the tutorial and then post back to this thread (note: it might be moved to the main area) with any specific questions that you might have. Working with a Track Matte can seem complicated at first, but once you do it a few times it will not see at all difficult.

I also think there is a similar tutorial on the Muvipix Web site. If so, it will be specifically for PE. I'll see if I can locate that and get you a link to it, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Cathy,

I see that Steve offered another technique for identification. His is probably a simpler task, though "highlighting" is not that much more difficult.

I could not find the tutorial that I had in mind. It must have been on another site. Since Steve is also the "Big Kahuna" at Muvipix and he didn't mention something there, it must be my faulty memory.

Try the arrow, and if you want to do more, let us know. Someone here can step you through "customizing" Curt's tutorial to suit PE.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                Well, here's my how-to on using the Track Matte, if that's any help.
                http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_02-06.htm

It can be a bit tricky though. That's why, if you just want a simple way to highlight, you may want to just use an arrow.
                • 5. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                  Level 1
                  Hi:

Thank you both very much. I just bought this program yesterday and I am totally lost. Is there a book or website that will show me or instruct me on how to get the arrow in my video?

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                    Phil.com Level 1
                    Here is a no tech solution that might work.

Set up a title. Just put in a capital "O" Arial. See if you can get the "O" to circle you son.

Cheers! PHIL
                    • 7. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Actually Cathy, Steve has two books on PE. One is written for PE2, BUT most of it translates to more recent PE versions. He's just done a new one on PE7, and I would image that the bulk of it translates to earlier versions.

On needs to interpolate a bit, as version interfaces and menu locations change, but the gist is still there.

I heartily recommend a book on Encore2 to CS3 owners, because 99% still works, and works the same.

I believe that both of Steve's books are available on Muvipix.com, and that the most recent one is also available on Amazon.com (earlier one might well be there too).

@Steve,

Thanks for the link to Track Mattes for PE. I spent time doing all sorts of searches, but came up empty-handed. Guess I need to go back to Boolean 101. I'll look over it, to see how PE might differ from Curt's tutorial for an earlier Premiere (not quite Pro, but not Elements either).

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                        I may go back at some point to the track matte in version 7 and either update my Tips article or build a tutorial. There certainly seems to be a need.

I have done tutorials on the Garbage Mattes, which I find much easier to work with. You can find them on the Muvipix.com products page.
                        • 9. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Steve,

That sounds like a plan. I mean now that your book is in print, you ought to have plenty of free time, right? This will keep your wife from loading you up with chores, 'cause she knows you're now a "free man."

Maybe I can help you out in the interim. I'll grab one of my "test Projects" (remember, it'll be PE4, but that should get close) and see the ins-n-outs of using PE. I normally do this in Pro, so I know that there are going to be differences.

I hesitated from trying to distill the general method, as I felt I'd muck things up by not knowing the exact terms and such in PE. I'll try for a step-by-step article, and if I get it right, you can use that to create a real tutorial (or maybe that should be a "reel" tutorial). I've got some down time, between travel and waiting for confirmation on a big project, so now would be a good time for me.

I'll get busy, and post to this thread. Please be brutally honest, when critiquing it, as I'm still learning PE as I go. With your familiarity with PE7, you can adapt (and correct) anything that you need.

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I just posted an article on using the Track Matte and Keyframes to "highlight" a moving object into Tips & Tricks:
                            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6d47e

If someone has comments, or corrections, it would probably be best to make them in this thread, and then let Steve do the editing of that article in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum.

Hope that it helps someone.

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                              Looks great, Hunt. Although it seems to cut off in mid-sentence. Is it still a work in progress?

It could also benefit from some illustrations. So, if you decide you want to do illustrations, you can send them to me as a PDF or JPG and I can attach them to the article.
                              • 12. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Dang,

I probably went past the forum limit on text. I've done that before and should know better. I'll get right on fixing that. I may need for you to do some MOD touch-up, as it's been too long for me to add the "(cont'd below)" to the original post. How silly to forget about the limit - sorry and thanks for pointing this out to me.

Hunt

[Edit] That is exactly what happened. I did not even think about the limit. Other than the truncated last line on the first article screen, it should be obvious where to go next.
                                • 13. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  Steve,

As for illustrations, I could do screen caps of the various Panels, but as I did not have the footage described in the article, it might create major confusion if I show the Monitor. Everything else I can fake. I'll poke around Muvipix and see if there is some real football (American) footage, that I could use for an example. If I find anything close, I'll contact the person responsible and discuss usage in this. I'll get back to you on that and thanks for the offer.

As I did my testing, I just used a 30 sec. Clip from a client's video and "imagined" what I was seeing. My Keyframed "highlight" travels along the bottom of a baby being fed and then tracks up and across that same scene. The football player existed only in my mind. If you know of any good football footage in the Gallery, I'd appreciate a pointer to it.

Hunt
                                  • 14. Re: Highlighting a potion of a video Clip
                                    Thanks, Hunt. Once again, your work is extremely thorough!