5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 8:55 AM by New Improved Chuck Engels

Keyframing in Elements 4

Hi All:

I just switched over from another video editing software and I'm having a little difficulty figuring out how use keyframing in Elements 4.

What I am trying to do is create a pan and scan effect for still photos. For instance I may want to start in the upper right corner of the photo and then stop in the center. Or start in the center and completely zoom out. And so on.

When I use some of the program preset scans it moves off the picture and will show black instead of just staying within the confines of the photo istelf.

How do I correct this? Thanks all for the help.
        • 1. Re: Keyframing in Elements 4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          The preset motions are designed to fit certain sizes of photos. (Their names tell you what sizes.) If you use one on a smaller photo, the pan will, then, go off the picture.

Doing your own keyframing is easy -- and it's a great still to learn.

My free Steve's Tips article will show you how.
          http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=41

You'll need to register to http://www.muvipix.com to download the file, but there's no charge for registering and you won't get spammed.

Lots of other great stuff on the site too, including the world's most helpful video editing forum. Even more stuff is available if you subscribe to the site. (There's a sale on subscriptions going on right now.)
          • 2. Re: Keyframing in Elements 4
            Level 1
            Steve:

Thanks for the info. I downloaded your tip sheet. Unfortunately, because the graphics are pretty small and I'm new to Elements I'm having a bit of trouble with the terminology and determining what switches to click to get where I need to go.

For instance in Sony Vegas 8 I would simply pull up the effects screen and resize the coordinates as to where in the photo I wanted to start (insert a keyframe) and the rezie where I wanted to stop (insert another keyframe).

Sounds like I can do pretty much the same and Elements but I'm struggling with what menu switches to activate to get the task accomplished.

Any additional info will be very much appreciated.
            • 3. Re: Keyframing in Elements 4
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              You can zoom in on the graphics with Acrobat Reader, Jerry.

Or you can order a copy of my book on Premiere Elements.

The illustrations in both the article and the book say so much more than I could in words alone on this forum.
              • 4. Re: Keyframing in Elements 4
                Level 1
                Instead of using the presets, you could try using the Keyframe area in the properties panel. Once you get a hang of it, the manual keyframing is very powerful and you would start enjoying the amount of control you get over it.
                • 5. Re: Keyframing in Elements 4
                  New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                  There are video tutorials at Muvipix that might make it easier.