3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2007 12:36 AM by Newsgroup_User

Coming home to Director...

Jason Lampitt
      It's been several years since I did a Director project. I took the skills Director taught me and ventured off into the brave new world of ActionScript land and have barely touched this old friend until recently when I was asked to crank out a couple of CD's for a client.

Almost all went surprisingly well. It only took me 15 minutes or so to recall my favorite passages in the Lingo Dictionary and begin cranking out property lists and new behaviors but since I've "upgraded" to MX 2004 (my god... are they ever going to give Director a fresh coat of paint?!?) I did run into a few hiccups. I'm hoping someone out there will be kind enough to this "old Director newbie" and give me a few pointers on a couple of items...

1. Fast-Start Projectors on the PC: No matter what I did, I could not get a shockwave projector (fast-start projector, stub projector... call it what you want) to run without getting a blasted message to install Shockwave 10. I ended up having to just create a standard projector. It was still fairly small (2.3 mb) but compared to the stub projectors I used to crank out this one was gigantic!! Does the old method of pulling out the .dll files and such not fly anymore? I found a few technotes and such, but none of them seem to be focused on MX 2004 specifically.

2. Forms: Seemed to me there was a better way to build a Director form back in the day (5 years ago??) with an Xtra, but the name escaped me. 30 minutes of Googling pretty much left me with the option of using postNetText. Did I go completely brain dead on this topic?

Thanks in advance for your reply's
        • 1. Re: Coming home to Director...
          johnAq Level 1
          Fast start projectors do work on the PC in DMX2004. The DLLs need to be in the xtras folder (probably the first level of the xtras folder, not in a subfolder). IIRC on the mac they need to be in the same folder as the app (that might be a few versions ago).

Can you provide more info on what you need to achieve with the form?

hth

johnAq
          • 2. Re: Coming home to Director...
            Jason Lampitt Level 1
            blast... I didn't try just putting it in the root of the Xtras folder... I put it in a Windows Xtra directory inside the Xtras folder. I'll give that a try.

On the form... I need to take the form data and insert it into an email using a local email client on the user's computer. Looks like there's only a handful of Xtras that can actually do that.
            • 3. Re: Coming home to Director...
              Level 7
              Hi Jason,

For Xtras the best resources I find are are:
              http://www.updatestage.com/MileHighTableOfProducts/products.shtml
              http://www.mediamacros.com/list/type-3/

As for the form, depending on how complex your for is, you could simply
              build on on the stage using Directors built in text boxes, check boxes etc,
              then use an email xtra to send the data. (There are a couple of free email
              xtras listed on updatestage - The more expensive ones allow for better
              functionality, like adding attachments, htm,l formatting, and some user
              their own built in mail server!).
              Most are pretty straight forward - with simple from, to, subject, body (etc)
              settings. Just grab the text from your text boxes etc and slap it in the
              body!

Hope it helps,

Tim

"jasonLampitt" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fil8pf$s3d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > blast... I didn't try just putting it in the root of the Xtras folder... I
              > put
              > it in a Windows Xtra directory inside the Xtras folder. I'll give that a
              > try.
              >
              > On the form... I need to take the form data and insert it into an email
              > using
              > a local email client on the user's computer. Looks like there's only a
              > handful
              > of Xtras that can actually do that.
              >