8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2008 11:13 AM by Newsgroup_User

DW CS3 & MS Sharepoint

Me_PLC Level 1
      Our websites are built and managed in Dreamweaver CS3 and intranet is done in Microsoft Sharepoint. Has anyone got any experience of using the two together? Can it be done?
        • 1. Re: DW CS3 & MS Sharepoint
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional
          Design wise I see no issues designing in DW. Maintenance wise though I believe the site content would need to be maintained in Sharepoint Designer.
          • 2. Re: DW CS3 & MS Sharepoint
            Me_PLC Level 1
            Would it be possible for example to have news items updated in a sharepoint site automatically update in a site built and maintained in Dreamweaver that would be on an external server?

I havent seen Sharepoint Designer, just basic Sharepoint and from what I have seen even adding text and one image to a page can take the best part of half an hour.
            • 3. Re: DW CS3 & MS Sharepoint
              Level 7

"Me_PLC" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g9jf39$7uu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Our websites are built and managed in Dreamweaver CS3 and intranet is done
              > in Microsoft Sharepoint. Has anyone got any experience of using the two
              > together? Can it be done?

I don't know how much you'll be able to do in DW as it doesn't work that
              much with ASP.NET. Most Sharepoint users (that I've heard of - I do not use
              the product) usually use either Expressions Web or Visual Studio, both from
              MS.

• 4. Re: DW CS3 &amp; MS Sharepoint
                Me_PLC Level 1
                Yeah I thought this might be the case. The situation I have is that I feel Dreamweaver is much more suited to websites as it gives me the availability to be creative with design which I think is important. Sharepoint sites seem to look like a document library, which is fine for an intranet.

Is there an argument for using Sharepoint over Dreamweaver for external websites?
                • 5. Re: DW CS3 &amp; MS Sharepoint
                  Ben M Adobe Community Professional
                  Sharepoint Designer is *NOT* for websites on the internet, it is meant for intranet sites only. If you want the Microsoft equivalent for internet website design you will need to compare MS Expression Web (formerly FrontPage).
                  • 6. Re: DW CS3 &amp; MS Sharepoint
                    Ineedcoffee
                    I am in the same boat. Our intranet site is built and maintained in SharePoint and now we want to build a customized not looking Sharepoint site for smaller projects for variety of users.
                    My question is: Can it really be designed in Dreamweaver but maintained in SharePoint? How do you bring the design etc from dreamweaver and implement it into Sharepoint website? with a reg. domain SharePoint address?
                    • 7. Re: DW CS3 &amp; MS Sharepoint
                      Level 7
                      if you google this topic:
                      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=using+dreamweaver+with+sh
                      arepoint

you'll see many people asking that question, and most of the replies saying
                      either "I don't know" or "I wouldn't try it"

It can probably be done, but would have to know the syntax of whatever code
                      hooks Sharepoint inserts into the page, make sure they aren't altered by
                      dreamweaver OR by the user, etc.

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 8. Re: DW CS3 &amp; MS Sharepoint
                        Level 7
                        You probably need Sharepoint Designer, it's a free download and you can use
                        it for several weeks before committing to it. Sharepoint is built with
                        master pages, those are applied at several levels, that works well for
                        individual group sites, but not so much for sweeping changes at all levels
                        (admin up). You'll also need the appropriate permissions to perform the
                        work. I've used DW to mock-up some designs, but that's as far as it can be
                        used. You may find it very frustrating to do this work... I did!

M..

"Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
                        news:C4F025E8.30D12E%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                        > if you google this topic:
                        > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=using+dreamweaver+with+sh
                        > arepoint
                        >
                        > you'll see many people asking that question, and most of the replies
                        > saying
                        > either "I don't know" or "I wouldn't try it"
                        >
                        > It can probably be done, but would have to know the syntax of whatever
                        > code
                        > hooks Sharepoint inserts into the page, make sure they aren't altered by
                        > dreamweaver OR by the user, etc.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Alan
                        > Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver
                        >
                        > http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                        >
                        >
                        >