3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2008 5:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Newbie question re: swapping images

jjfletcher
      I was able to figure out how to "swap the images" on mouseover, but what I wanted was if when you click on an area, it stays in that mouseover state. Does that make sense? I know it's a totaly newbie question, but this is my first time using Fireworks....
        • 1. Re: Newbie question re: swapping images
          pixlor Level 4
          quote:

Originally posted by: jjfletcher
          I was able to figure out how to "swap the images" on mouseover, but what I wanted was if when you click on an area, it stays in that mouseover state. Does that make sense? I know it's a totaly newbie question, but this is my first time using Fireworks....

Your question makes sense, and you should be able to do what you want. You don't want a "swap images," though. Usually, an image swap is to change the image when the user's mouse passes over a section of your design so he or she gets the message, "Hey! You can click here!" The image then changes back to the original when the mouse moves out of the image boundary. Clicking then activates a link.

The way this behavior is implemented is with the programming language JavaScript. (Fireworks writes this for you and the browser runs it.) JavaScript has something called "event handlers," which are built in functions that can be called when the user does something. To swap an image, the event handlers are named onMouseover and onMouseout (onMouseover, swap the image; onMouseout, swap it back). You need a different event handler; you want to use the onClick event (onClick, change this image).

I don't use Fireworks code (Fireworks is a graphics program, not a Web development environment - it's recommended only for prototypes), so I've never been in that part of the menus. See if you can change the behaviors you apply to your images. If you have trouble, post back because someone else will certainly come along! :)
          • 2. Re: Newbie question re: swapping images
            Level 7
            jjfletcher wrote:
            > I was able to figure out how to "swap the images" on mouseover, but what I
            > wanted was if when you click on an area, it stays in that mouseover state.
            > Does that make sense? I know it's a totaly newbie question, but this is my
            > first time using Fireworks....

Uncheck "Restore image on MouseOut" in the Swap image editor panel.

--
            Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. Re: Newbie question re: swapping images
              Level 7
              But pay attention to pixlor's suggestion that you not use FW HTML. These
              kinds of things are much better done in DW.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"Linda Rathgeber" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
              news:g9a2ju$2ng$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > jjfletcher wrote:
              >> I was able to figure out how to "swap the images" on mouseover, but what
              >> I wanted was if when you click on an area, it stays in that mouseover
              >> state. Does that make sense? I know it's a totaly newbie question, but
              >> this is my first time using Fireworks....
              >
              > Uncheck "Restore image on MouseOut" in the Swap image editor panel.
              >
              > --
              > Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks
              > --------------------------------------------------------------
              > http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
              > --------------------------------------------------------------