1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2008 8:26 AM by srykk

OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?

Level 7
      Hi,

I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read MS
      drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
      upgrading or continue to run XP

--
      Kim
      ---------------------------
      http://www.geekministry.com

• 1. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
          Level 7
          support will continue for XP, the July 08 date is a end of sale of new
          licenses for the product.
          http://blogs.technet.com/lifecycle/archive/2008/04/25/what-s-happening-to-windows-xp-on-ju ne-30th.aspx

Jeff

"kim" <kim@removegeekministry.com> wrote in message
          news:g2uc0b$m1d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read MS
          > drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
          > upgrading or continue to run XP
          >
          > --
          > Kim
          > ---------------------------
          > http://www.geekministry.com
          >

• 2. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
            Level 7

I'm going to run XP.

MS Support never really meant anything anyways. ;o)

-Darrel

• 3. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
              Level 7
              .oO(kim)

>I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read MS
              >drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
              >upgrading or continue to run XP

I'll definitely stay with XP. Vista still has too many unfixed bugs,
              annoying problems and way too high hardware requirements for almost
              nothing. And I simply don't like it, especially all those stupid
              restrictions in the cheaper versions. To get all the really useful
              features which were often already built-in in 2000 and XP you have to
              spend even more money and upgrade to one of the other two dozen
              available versions ... stupid. Userfriendliness is something else.

XP on the other hand simply does what it's supposed to do and it does it
              quite well. It runs stable and reliable even on an old P3 machine. What
              want I more?

And if MS drops the support - I don't really care. Even now my system is
              not fully patched (I'm still on SP2), simply because I don't have that
              much of a need for that. My workstation is not directly connected to the
              Internet, there's a router with packet filter in between. Additionally I
              don't use IE and OE, which are still the biggest security holes.

Micha
              • 4. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                Level 7
                LOL, yes, I agree no one who had a brain would contact MS for "support". The
                "support" referred to is not a call to MS, but updates, bug fixes, and
                security patches available from the MS update site.
                Updates to correct problems and protect against threats will be available
                through at least 2013.

Jeff

"darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                news:g2ucts$n6a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read MS
                >> drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
                >> upgrading or continue to run XP
                >
                > I'm going to run XP.
                >
                > MS Support never really meant anything anyways. ;o)
                >
                > -Darrel
                >

• 5. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                  Level 7
                  XP for me.

--Nancy O.
                  Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                  www.alt-web.com

> Hi,
                  >
                  >
                  > --
                  > Kim
                  > ---------------------------
                  > http://www.geekministry.com
                  >

• 6. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                    Level 7
                    I have used MS support many times. I have never had a bad experience with
                    them. They call me back unilaterally. They speak clear English. They get
                    highest ratings in my book.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    ==================

"Jeff" <jeffs@NoSpamLamSam.com> wrote in message
                    news:g2ud81$nfb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > LOL, yes, I agree no one who had a brain would contact MS for "support".
                    > The "support" referred to is not a call to MS, but updates, bug fixes, and
                    > security patches available from the MS update site.
                    > Updates to correct problems and protect against threats will be available
                    > through at least 2013.
                    >
                    > Jeff
                    >
                    > "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                    > news:g2ucts$n6a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>> I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read MS
                    >>> drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
                    >>> upgrading or continue to run XP
                    >>
                    >> I'm going to run XP.
                    >>
                    >> MS Support never really meant anything anyways. ;o)
                    >>
                    >> -Darrel
                    >>
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                      poirot Level 1
                      I will definitly stay with XP even if my PC is fast enough to run Vista. To many bugs and incompatibilty issue with a lot of software with Vista. Further more I am seriously thinking that my next PC will be a MAC. Will still keep a PC running for a lot of reasons but for development purposes MAC, I am really fed up with all the problems with Microsoft in general. I mean I need an anti-virus software, anti spyware (2 of them) and always have to be carefull with what I am doing in general if I dont want to have full of s..t . Softwares dont always work ok with Vista (for instance DW, look at all the post here). So...

And your right, the basic version of Vista is totally worthless and to run a different taste well... all of you who have PC older that 1 year should need to fork out some money in ram and video card.

The last but not the least, The corporation I work for has ton a software that will not run on Vista and to make the switch will cost close to 175,000.00$ not including all the PC upgrade and/or buying new ones and all the labor involve in deploying this. So let me tell you that XP will be here to stay for another few year. In the meantime Vista will have solve most of the bugs, the PC where I work will be replace by newer ones and Software will be upgraded gradullay.

So me I will be running XP for a least another year.

ASP
                      Alain St-Pierre
                      • 8. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                        Level 7
                        >I have used MS support many times. I have never had a bad experience with
                        >them. They call me back unilaterally. They speak clear English. They get
                        >highest ratings in my book.

I envy you and your good support stories. You're blessed. ;o)

As for me, we just spent 3 weeks with MS premium support (that's the one
                        that you pay 5 figures a year for) and had to give up when they couldn't fix
                        their own product.

-Darrel

• 9. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                          Level 7
                          kim wrote:
                          > drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys
                          > doing... upgrading or continue to run XP

I have to query whether Vista is classed as an 'Upgrade'!! <g>

I'll stick with XP on most boxes, we'll get one or two Vista machines so
                          that we can talk the same language as clients who ring in with issues on
                          their Vista boxes, but Mac is looking attractive...

Regards,

Pete.
                          --
                          Peter Connolly
                          http://www.kpdirection.com
                          Utah

• 10. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                            Level 7
                            On 13 Jun 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, kim wrote:

> I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read
                            > MS drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys
                            > doing... upgrading or continue to run XP

XP. In fact, I'm specing out a public library right now, about a
                            dozen systems, and the terminals will all be XP pro.[1] (I'm going
                            2008 for the server, though.)

The business community seems to have noticed:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2008/tc20080610_435192.htm

And June 2008 isn't the 'real' last-sale-date for XP:

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/06/a_little_more_l.html

Plus I have to assume that XP will still be included in the license
                            for Vista, so you will still be able to 'upgrade' from Vista to XP
                            yourself if you can get your hands on the media. (And who doesn't
                            have an XP dvd or two hanging around?)

[1] Or maybe Win7 if it's out by 1Q2009 and it looks good...

--
                            Joe Makowiec
                            http://makowiec.net/
                            Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                            • 11. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                              Level 7

> Hi,
                              >

I have Vista on my main laptop now. Contrary to everything I've heard, it
                              works just fine and there was nothing stressful at all about switching to
                              it..

--
                              Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                              Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                              Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                              --

• 12. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                Ben M Adobe Community Professional
                                Murray you must have dealt with a different support area then I did. I spoke to someone from India despite the name "Bob" or something like that to get new serial number for Office 2003 when I had to re-install.

I'm currently using Vista Home Premium 64-bit right now. Personally, 64-bit is the only reason I really went to Vista. The 32-bit version is pointless. Microsoft obviously wants people to get more memory with the prices low, but did it half-way by having a 32-bit version. The 32-bit environment could have easily been emulated.

Honestly though I use a Mac primarily for all of my work. The Windows machine is because it is cheap to put together a PC and it plays some basic games where Mac has always struggled.

If MS really wants to make the next OS better than Vista they just need to stop support for previous applications and redo the OS from the ground up as they intended to do with Vista. There is no reason in the next couple years they cannot put together a Virtual PC to run on the new Windows computers to run applications from XP. There should be no reason to do this half-way as they are doing it with the technology available to them.
                                • 13. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                  Level 7
                                  I agree.

I think the people who are the most offensively vituperative are those how
                                  are supporting it in larger environments, not just single users.

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  ==================
                                  ==================

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
                                  news:g2uimi$3e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >
                                  > "kim" <kim@removegeekministry.com> wrote in message
                                  > news:g2uc0b$m1d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >> Hi,
                                  >>
                                  >> drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
                                  >> upgrading or continue to run XP
                                  >
                                  > I have Vista on my main laptop now. Contrary to everything I've heard, it
                                  > works just fine and there was nothing stressful at all about switching to
                                  > it..
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                  > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                  > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                  > --
                                  >

• 14. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                    Level 7
                                    .oO(Murray *ACE*)

>I agree.
                                    >
                                    >I think the people who are the most offensively vituperative are those how
                                    >are supporting it in larger environments, not just single users.

My stepbrother wanted to use it in his own office in a rather simple
                                    setup: a single Windows 2008 Server/64 bit and a single workstation on
                                    Vista/64 bit, both connected over Gigabit Ethernet. Nothing special.
                                    But the broken TCP stack in Vista rendered the network totally useless
                                    (9 MB/s transfer rate? Come on!). That was the first big problem.

Next major issue were many missing drivers. I don't blame that directly
                                    on Vista, but on the driver vendors, who obviously don't consider 64 bit
                                    drivers a necessity. ISDN with remote CAPI and fax support on Vista/64
                                    bit? Forget it (unless you pay hundreds of Euros). Not a problem on 2000
                                    or XP, though.

Then there were various smaller issues, some of which you probably won't
                                    notice in the English version. But in localized versions it's confusing
                                    if one application calls a folder on disk "Users", the other one shows
                                    the same folder as "Benutzer" - nothing special, it's just the German
                                    translation. But because it's that inconsistent, it's totally useless
                                    and just confusing. You never know what goes on behind the scenes and
                                    what Vista really does with your data in the back.

Did I already mention the annoying User Account Control? And why are so
                                    many operations on Vista slow as glue even on a Dual Core with 3 GB RAM?
                                    Why does Vista often don't show estimations about how long a particular
                                    operation might last? Neither a time guess nor a useful progression bar.
                                    Every previous Windows did that much better!

So what's left? The really useful features are missing, instead we get
                                    useless new animations and even more decorational stuff. Good work, MS.

If it works for you, OK. But I've had enough. We've wasted more than
                                    three days trying to get the system up and running on the same (or at
                                    least close to) level as XP - impossible. Vista is a no-no for me.

Micha
                                    • 15. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                      Level 7
                                      <shrug>

I dunno. I didn't have these problems at all. And I dare say my network is
                                      no simpler than this one.

Anyhow, I sent you an email earlier - did you get it?

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

"Michael Fesser" <netizen@gmx.de> wrote in message
                                      news:2uk554lqact8l9i0phsj21d79dk86u0n07@4ax.com...
                                      > .oO(Murray *ACE*)
                                      >
                                      >>I agree.
                                      >>
                                      >>I think the people who are the most offensively vituperative are those how
                                      >>are supporting it in larger environments, not just single users.
                                      >
                                      > My stepbrother wanted to use it in his own office in a rather simple
                                      > setup: a single Windows 2008 Server/64 bit and a single workstation on
                                      > Vista/64 bit, both connected over Gigabit Ethernet. Nothing special.
                                      > But the broken TCP stack in Vista rendered the network totally useless
                                      > (9 MB/s transfer rate? Come on!). That was the first big problem.
                                      >
                                      > Next major issue were many missing drivers. I don't blame that directly
                                      > on Vista, but on the driver vendors, who obviously don't consider 64 bit
                                      > drivers a necessity. ISDN with remote CAPI and fax support on Vista/64
                                      > bit? Forget it (unless you pay hundreds of Euros). Not a problem on 2000
                                      > or XP, though.
                                      >
                                      > Then there were various smaller issues, some of which you probably won't
                                      > notice in the English version. But in localized versions it's confusing
                                      > if one application calls a folder on disk "Users", the other one shows
                                      > the same folder as "Benutzer" - nothing special, it's just the German
                                      > translation. But because it's that inconsistent, it's totally useless
                                      > and just confusing. You never know what goes on behind the scenes and
                                      > what Vista really does with your data in the back.
                                      >
                                      > Did I already mention the annoying User Account Control? And why are so
                                      > many operations on Vista slow as glue even on a Dual Core with 3 GB RAM?
                                      > Why does Vista often don't show estimations about how long a particular
                                      > operation might last? Neither a time guess nor a useful progression bar.
                                      > Every previous Windows did that much better!
                                      >
                                      > So what's left? The really useful features are missing, instead we get
                                      > useless new animations and even more decorational stuff. Good work, MS.
                                      >
                                      > If it works for you, OK. But I've had enough. We've wasted more than
                                      > three days trying to get the system up and running on the same (or at
                                      > least close to) level as XP - impossible. Vista is a no-no for me.
                                      >
                                      > Micha

• 16. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                        Level 7
                                        .oO(Murray *ACE*)

>Anyhow, I sent you an email earlier - did you get it?

Hmm, not yet. Just to be sure I also checked my spam and trash folders.
                                        Nothing. When did you send it?

Micha
                                        • 17. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                          Level 7
                                          Early this morning - I'll resend it. Is your email below the best address
                                          to use?

--
                                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                          ==================
                                          ==================

news:6ap554tuqa0ieknv1a0suhhqh8lt9su146@4ax.com...
                                          > .oO(Murray *ACE*)
                                          >
                                          >>Anyhow, I sent you an email earlier - did you get it?
                                          >
                                          > Hmm, not yet. Just to be sure I also checked my spam and trash folders.
                                          > Nothing. When did you send it?
                                          >
                                          > Micha

• 18. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                            Level 7
                                            .oO(Murray *ACE*)

>Early this morning - I'll resend it. Is your email below the best address
                                            >to use?

It's my public one (just forwards everything to my private mailbox) and
                                            usually works well. There's a bunch of spam filters enabled, but the
                                            last false positive was some years ago.

Anyway, you can also contact me directly at ...@mfesser.de. Just choose
                                            whatever you want before the '@' sign, e.g. your name or the current
                                            date, doesn't matter (catch-all setup).

Micha
                                            • 19. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                              Level 7
                                              I'm with you. Mind you I'm always at least a year behind, wanting all the
                                              bugs to be ironed out before I touch an "update". I'm perfectly happy with
                                              XP - see no reason to change. I'm still on SP2. My husband is still on
                                              Windows 2000 - and I think I'm a Luddite!

--
                                              Jo

news:u0d5549iaum5c8pv2acrd7s769urv3747l@4ax.com...
                                              > .oO(kim)
                                              >
                                              >>I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read MS
                                              >>drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
                                              >>upgrading or continue to run XP
                                              >
                                              > I'll definitely stay with XP. Vista still has too many unfixed bugs,
                                              > annoying problems and way too high hardware requirements for almost
                                              > nothing. And I simply don't like it, especially all those stupid
                                              > restrictions in the cheaper versions. To get all the really useful
                                              > features which were often already built-in in 2000 and XP you have to
                                              > spend even more money and upgrade to one of the other two dozen
                                              > available versions ... stupid. Userfriendliness is something else.
                                              >
                                              > XP on the other hand simply does what it's supposed to do and it does it
                                              > quite well. It runs stable and reliable even on an old P3 machine. What
                                              > want I more?
                                              >
                                              > And if MS drops the support - I don't really care. Even now my system is
                                              > not fully patched (I'm still on SP2), simply because I don't have that
                                              > much of a need for that. My workstation is not directly connected to the
                                              > Internet, there's a router with packet filter in between. Additionally I
                                              > don't use IE and OE, which are still the biggest security holes.
                                              >
                                              > Micha

• 20. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                Level 7
                                                josie1one wrote:

and I think I'm a Luddite!

I thought you were an Aphrodite ;-P

--
                                                chin chin
                                                Sinclair
                                                • 21. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                  Level 7
                                                  <pose> - well, yes, that too (o:

--
                                                  Jo

"djinn" <scobies@dsl.pipexYerKitAff.com> wrote in message
                                                  news:g31adv$t2c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  > josie1one wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > and I think I'm a Luddite!
                                                  >
                                                  > I thought you were an Aphrodite ;-P
                                                  >
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > chin chin
                                                  > Sinclair

• 22. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                    Level 7
                                                    :-)

--
                                                    chin chin
                                                    Sinclair
                                                    • 23. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                      Level 7
                                                      <flex>

--
                                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                                      ==================
                                                      ==================

"josie1one" <joleros@spamoffyahoo.com> wrote in message
                                                      news:g31akc$d0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                      > <pose> - well, yes, that too (o:
                                                      >
                                                      > --
                                                      > Jo
                                                      >
                                                      >
                                                      > "djinn" <scobies@dsl.pipexYerKitAff.com> wrote in message
                                                      > news:g31adv$t2c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                      >> josie1one wrote:
                                                      >>
                                                      >> and I think I'm a Luddite!
                                                      >>
                                                      >> I thought you were an Aphrodite ;-P
                                                      >>
                                                      >>
                                                      >> --
                                                      >> chin chin
                                                      >> Sinclair
                                                      >
                                                      >

• 24. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                        Level 7
                                                        Murray *ACE* wrote:
                                                        > <flex>
                                                        >

No - Flash I think ;-P

--
                                                        chin chin
                                                        Sinclair
                                                        • 25. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                          Level 7
                                                          I have never, ever, flashed in my life

--
                                                          Jo

"djinn" <scobies@dsl.pipexYerKitAff.com> wrote in message
                                                          news:g31b7i$ek$2@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                          > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                                                          >> <flex>
                                                          >>
                                                          >
                                                          > No - Flash I think ;-P
                                                          >
                                                          > --
                                                          > chin chin
                                                          > Sinclair

• 26. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                            motleyscrewed Level 1
                                                            I've been running Vista on my desktop & laptop for at least 6 months & have had zero problems.
                                                            • 27. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                              Level 7
                                                              josie1one wrote:
                                                              > I have never, ever, flashed in my life
                                                              >
                                                              Aye, I seem to remember quite categorically, Bill Clinton saying
                                                              something to that effect too ;-P

--
                                                              chin chin
                                                              Sinclair
                                                              • 28. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                Level 7
                                                                kim wrote:
                                                                > Hi,
                                                                >
                                                                >

I'll be running both, XP SP3 on my main machine - Vista on my laptop -
                                                                I've had the Vista laptop for a year nearly but only had it on for a few
                                                                hours - I just couldn't be bothered with all the security popups. I
                                                                intend, starting this week to investigate further though - but it will,
                                                                I think, be second choice behind XP.

--
                                                                chin chin
                                                                Sinclair
                                                                • 29. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                  Level 7
                                                                  Hi,

SP3 for XP... where do I find this update?

djinn skrev:
                                                                  > kim wrote:
                                                                  >> Hi,
                                                                  >>
                                                                  >> drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys
                                                                  >> doing... upgrading or continue to run XP
                                                                  >>
                                                                  >
                                                                  > I'll be running both, XP SP3 on my main machine - Vista on my laptop -
                                                                  > I've had the Vista laptop for a year nearly but only had it on for a few
                                                                  > hours - I just couldn't be bothered with all the security popups. I
                                                                  > intend, starting this week to investigate further though - but it will,
                                                                  > I think, be second choice behind XP.
                                                                  >

--
                                                                  Kim

• 30. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                    Level 7
                                                                    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:30:20 +0200, kim <kim@removegeekministry.com>
                                                                    wrote:

>Hi,
                                                                    >
                                                                    >SP3 for XP... where do I find this update?
                                                                    >

didn't you just think about putting SP3 for XP into Google ?
                                                                    --

~Malcolm~*...
                                                                    ~*
                                                                    • 31. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                      Level 7
                                                                      .oO(kim)

>SP3 for XP... where do I find this update?

Microsoft?

It might also help to read some background articles about it (Google)
                                                                      before installing it, because of all the problems that occured prior to
                                                                      the release. Mirosoft even had to suspend the download for some weeks in
                                                                      order to fix the bugs in the service pack ...

And it seems that some of these problems are still not solved.

Micha
                                                                      • 32. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                        Level 7
                                                                        Of course I did but I only get a SP3 PDF overview page and nowhere I can
                                                                        download this update. It also says I will be added through the "windows
                                                                        update" which runs frequently but I can see my system is /only/ SP2!

This is the URL I used
                                                                        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5 110&displaylang=en

Malcolm _ skrev:
                                                                        > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:30:20 +0200, kim <kim@removegeekministry.com>
                                                                        > wrote:
                                                                        >
                                                                        >> Hi,
                                                                        >>
                                                                        >> SP3 for XP... where do I find this update?
                                                                        >>
                                                                        >
                                                                        > didn't you just think about putting SP3 for XP into Google ?

--
                                                                        Kim

• 33. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                          Level 7
                                                                          OK. I read somewhere that the update made windows load and shut down
                                                                          faster, had better security and improved network something... but
                                                                          perhaps not :)

Thanks Micha

Michael Fesser skrev:
                                                                          > .oO(kim)
                                                                          >
                                                                          >> SP3 for XP... where do I find this update?
                                                                          >
                                                                          > Microsoft?
                                                                          >
                                                                          > It might also help to read some background articles about it (Google)
                                                                          > before installing it, because of all the problems that occured prior to
                                                                          > the release. Mirosoft even had to suspend the download for some weeks in
                                                                          > order to fix the bugs in the service pack ...
                                                                          >
                                                                          > And it seems that some of these problems are still not solved.
                                                                          >
                                                                          > Micha
                                                                          >

--
                                                                          Kim

• 34. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                            Level 7
                                                                            .oO(kim)

>Of course I did but I only get a SP3 PDF overview page and nowhere I can
                                                                            >download this update. It also says I will be added through the "windows
                                                                            >update" which runs frequently but I can see my system is /only/ SP2!
                                                                            >
                                                                            >This is the URL I used
                                                                            > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5 110&displaylang=en

Try the full package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f 3d4&displaylang=en

Micha
                                                                            • 35. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                              Level 7
                                                                              kim wrote:
                                                                              > Of course I did but I only get a SP3 PDF overview page and nowhere I can
                                                                              > download this update. It also says I will be added through the "windows
                                                                              > update" which runs frequently but I can see my system is /only/ SP2!

Kim,

I think I got mine via IE7>Tools>Windows Update - I think I went for the
                                                                              express option, and SP3 was there as an option. Looking at my update
                                                                              history - I downloaded this and installed on the 7th May, without a
                                                                              hitch. I would say that my machine feels marginally faster, certainly on
                                                                              start and shutdown.

HTH

HTH

--
                                                                              chin chin
                                                                              Sinclair
                                                                              • 36. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                                Level 7
                                                                                .oO(kim)

>OK. I read somewhere that the update made windows load and shut down
                                                                                >faster, had better security and improved network something... but
                                                                                >perhaps not :)

Permanent reboots on some AMD machines and a screwed-up registry on
                                                                                machines with Norton Security were just two of the known problems.

Micha
                                                                                • 37. Re: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                                  joeq Level 1
                                                                                  good to hear - although it is somewhat a sad state of affairs for the consumer when high praise goes out to a company that calls you back and speaks english...

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                                                                  I have used MS support many times. I have never had a bad experience with
                                                                                  them. They call me back unilaterally. They speak clear English. They get
                                                                                  highest ratings in my book.

--
                                                                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                                                                  ==================
                                                                                  ==================

"Jeff" <jeffs@NoSpamLamSam.com> wrote in message
                                                                                  news:g2ud81$nfb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                  > LOL, yes, I agree no one who had a brain would contact MS for "support".
                                                                                  > The "support" referred to is not a call to MS, but updates, bug fixes, and
                                                                                  > security patches available from the MS update site.
                                                                                  > Updates to correct problems and protect against threats will be available
                                                                                  > through at least 2013.
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  > Jeff
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  > "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                                                                                  > news:g2ucts$n6a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                  >>> I wonder how many of you running XP after July 08? From what I read MS
                                                                                  >>> drops support for XP after the above date. So what are you guys doing...
                                                                                  >>> upgrading or continue to run XP
                                                                                  >>
                                                                                  >> I'm going to run XP.
                                                                                  >>
                                                                                  >> MS Support never really meant anything anyways. ;o)
                                                                                  >>
                                                                                  >> -Darrel
                                                                                  >>
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  >

• 38. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                                    Level 7
                                                                                    There it was :)

Thanks.

Michael Fesser skrev:
                                                                                    > .oO(kim)
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    >> Of course I did but I only get a SP3 PDF overview page and nowhere I can
                                                                                    >> download this update. It also says I will be added through the "windows
                                                                                    >> update" which runs frequently but I can see my system is /only/ SP2!
                                                                                    >>
                                                                                    >> This is the URL I used
                                                                                    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5 110&displaylang=en
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > Try the full package:
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f 3d4&displaylang=en
                                                                                    >
                                                                                    > Micha
                                                                                    >

--
                                                                                    Kim

• 39. Re: OT: Have you upgraded to Vista?
                                                                                      Level 7
                                                                                      > I think I got mine via IE7>Tools>Windows Update - I think I went for the
                                                                                      > express option, and SP3 was there as an option.

That's maybe why.

Looking at my update
                                                                                      > history - I downloaded this and installed on the 7th May, without a
                                                                                      > hitch. I would say that my machine feels marginally faster, certainly on
                                                                                      > start and shutdown.

OK. I'll hope it does the same for my machine :)

Thanks
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > HTH
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > HTH
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      >

--
                                                                                      Kim

1 2 Previous Next