28 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 11:31 PM by jay jay lam

Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard

Acrobat Reader 8.1.2 just released still does not allow for PDFs to be printed under Mac OS X 10.5.1 (Leopard).

The result when trying to print is the same as with v8.1.1 - it pauses the printer and leaves the job queued.

Having waited over three (3) months for this BASIC issue to be fixed, this is an unbelievable disappointment. I can only hope the Acrobat CS3 products are fixed....
        • 1. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
          I've been having the same "pause printer" problem with the Acrobat Reader since Leopard arrived. I'm operating with two very different Xerox laser printers with the same result, and have heard that it may be a printer driver issue.

Today, I've noticed something that may help in somebody finding the solution.

This has been occurring with my PPC G5 since I installed Leopard. I just upgraded my wife's Intel-based iMac to Leopard, and the very same printers, using the very same drivers, there is no pause. It actually prints from Reader 8.1.2.

Is it possible that only PPC-based Macs are so affected?
          • 2. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
            Level 1
            That is now my opinion, too. I can now print from Reader 8.1.2 on an Intel 10.5.1 installation whereas I could not before; yet I cannot from my PPC 10.5.1 installation - the printer is paused. This is with both 8.1.2 updated and 8.1.2 clean install.

The printer is a FujiXerox DocuPrint 204A (which is a rebadged Brother HL-1240. I'm using the HL-1240 CUPS driver on both my Intel and PPC installations as the current FX driver doesn't work under Leopard).

Reader 8.1.2 PPC prints fine to the printer using the FX driver under Tiger 10.4.11.

So it loos like 8.1.2 fixed Intel but not PPC under Leopard 10.5.1.
            • 3. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
              Level 1
              Don,

May I ask what you are using as a workaround while we wait for the fix?

I'm using PDFPen to open all PDFs (instead of the Reader), and I can print from that.

Hopefully, someone at Adobe is reading this and will put the fix in for the PPCs. The fact that I can't produce a printable PDF from my Adobe InDesign CS3 program is really getting frustrating.
              • 4. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                Level 1
                It sounds like this is a bug with the Brother printer drivers on Leopard PPC, not necessarily a bug with Reader 8.1.2. Have you tried selecting some of the other Brother drivers that are bundled with Leopard?

The following articles might help:

http://pub.brother.com/pub/com/pdf/macosx/mac105_driver_usb.pdf
                http://www.mail-archive.com/wamug@wamug.org.au/msg44778.html
                • 5. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                  Level 1
                  Kirsten,

Thanks for adding the input.

In my case, I'm only using Xerox Phaser printers from a PPC G5, and the only time the printers go on PAUSE is when I'm printing a PDF from Adobe Reader (now at 8.1.2, and still pausing).

It's certainly true that this never happened until Leopard was installed, and it COULD still be the print drivers, but why would they operate without a problem from every other application?
                  • 6. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                    I also have the same problem printing PDF files thru my HP Color Laserjet 2605dn.

Downloaded the latest software & firmware from HP as advised from members of the Mac Forums and Apples website, but still the printing job start then paused after a minute or so.

Tried uninstall the Adobe Reader 8.1.2 then using Disk Utility verify permission, repair permission then verify disk. After that re-install the Adobe 8.1.2 again, tried printing again, still the same result.

Using HP Utility to print the test page, successful!!!!!

Use preview to open the pdf file then print, successful!!!!!

That's the only solution I can do right now, hopefully Adobe can fix this matter soon for Leopard users.
                    • 7. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                      Level 1
                      Alex,

Thanks for the info on printing from Preview. It works for me too.

Are you also running on a PPC Mac?
                      • 8. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                        Level 1
                        Larry,

You're welcome, glad I can be of assistant.

I'm using an Intel MBP.
                        • 9. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                          I too have noticed a problem with Xerox printers when printing from CS3 in general.
                          When the Xerox (7750 and 6360) is in power-save mode, it somehow doesn't get the signal to wake up and the print-queue goes to pause ...
                          • 10. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                            Level 1
                            mabinogion

Hmmmm. This gets more curious all the time.

I have the Xerox 6200DP and 3500. Both printers will immediately go to pause irrespective of power-save mode but only when the job originates from my PPC G5. Any job from the Intel iMac prints w/o a problem.

And, you are right. Other CS3 apps ARE involved. Not just the Acrobat Reader. I hadn't noticed that before since all of my CS3 output is in PDF.

Are you using a PowerPC Mac or an Intel Mac?
                            • 11. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                              Level 1
                              @ Larry
                              The problem involves G4s, G5s and Intel Macs across our whole graphics department of 14 Macs.
                              • 12. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                Level 1
                                mabinogion

Ouch! You have a BIG problem, don't you?

What workaround are you using to print from the CS3 apps? Or does keeping power-saver off answer all of your problems?
                                • 13. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                  Level 1
                                  Often setting the print queue to 'print' is enough to wake the printer. Occasionally someone will walk by and kick the printer they want to use, to wake it before they send their jobs ;)
                                  • 14. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                    Level 1
                                    I'm posting this solution FWIW.

Since every other solution had failed, I took the afternoon to ERASE AND INSTALL OS X 10.5.

Since that operation requires the printers be setup from scratch, I was concerned that I would be simply be selecting the same printer drivers for my two Xerox printers that I had installed before. Well, lo and behold, I didn't even have to make that decision. The Setup Manager quickly installed the drivers. Not only did they work, but they now print PDFs from the Adobe Reader.

It was a desperation move, but it worked.
                                    • 15. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                      hi, i´m a spanish designer and i´m having the same problem with acrobat.
                                      i´m making a book with InDesign CS3 and when i try to print the book, it is like 8 different documents, the printer leaves the job queued and i cannot print it.

If i export each document separately i can do it without problems but i would like to print the whole book. Anyway i would like to find out why acrobat doesnt work.

Can you help me?, i re-installed the program more than three times...

thank you and excuse me because my bad english
                                      • 16. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                        Level 1
                                        Hi nacho,

The only way I know to fix the Acrobat printing problem is to ERASE AND INSTALL the entire Leopard Operating system on your hard drive (OS X, version 10.5) from the original OS X dvd.

Reinstalling Acrobat Reader will NOT fix it.

However, since ERASE means it erases the entire hard drive, you will need to make a backup of your current hard drive, before you start.

Also, I would recommend that you download the upgrade to 10.5.2 directly from Apple's website, and use that to the bring your newly installed system up-to-date. If you use "Software Update," to do this instead, it often is not as clean.

This worked for me, and I hope it works for you.

If there is anything I wrote that you do not understand, please let me know and I will try to be more clear.
                                        • 17. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                          Am I missing something?
                                          Adobe clearing states support up to 10.5.1 only.
                                          I open and print using Preview.
                                          • 18. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                            Level 1
                                            Johndes,

Beginning with OS X 10.5, some of us could not print a PDF from the Adobe Reader program. Our printers would be put on "pause" rather than printing the document.

The expectation was that when Acrobat Reader was upgraded to v. 8.1.2, that Adobe would have that anomaly fixed. The beginning of this thread starts at the point where v 8.1.2 was released, and it was recognized that there was no fix, and our printers would continue to pause rather than print.

You are correct that we could open and print PDFs from another program. I used PDFPen because Preview would also pause my printer. That doesn't change the fact that, for whatever reason, Adobe Reader was the only application which required this workaround to get a printed copy. And, that happened on every later version of OS X 10.5, including 10.5.1.

I resolved the problem with an ERASE AND INSTALL of Leopard. I don't know where the problem originated, but I can now print directly from Adobe Reader. To me, it was worth that effort.
                                            • 19. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                              Level 1
                                              An erase and install of Leopard won't fix the problem either. Adobe Acrobat Professional and Reader 8.1.2 are still not compatible with Leopard.

I've reinstalled Leopard 4 times and Acrobat Professional 8 times. I've even purchased the Adobe CS3 Design Premium and it still doesn't print.

So, I've come to the realization that you have to do what you need to in Acrobat then save, then open in Apple's Preview or another application to print.

Sorry, it sucks. ADBE stock hasn't moved either.
                                              • 20. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                Level 1
                                                Hi Gregory,

Based on your experience, I guess not every solution will work for all people.

I just purchased a new iMac, installed the Adobe Reader v. 8.1.2 along with CS3 versions of inDesign and Photoshop. My same Xerox laser printers (a 6200DP and 3500DN) work perfectly with all PDF documents directly from the Reader. No pauses.

So, there's another solution, albeit an expensive one.
                                                • 21. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                  This problem is apparently depends on some subtle details of system setup.

I have a macbook pro that I bought about a month ago. My with has a macbook air that she bought a few months ago. Adobe Reader 8.1 is working fine on her machine, but not on mine.
                                                  • 22. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Jerry,

I'm assuming that you DID NOT transfer everything from a prior Mac, because that would explain what went wrong.

I spent months troubleshooting this problem, yet I never found out what the real problem was --- only that buying a new Mac with its new OS and reinstalling all my applications from original disks fixed it.

Two things occur to me as areas to consider: Is there a difference in the print drivers for your specific printer between the one on your wife's Mac and yours? Did you go to your printer mfr's Web site and download their most current driver and install it?

Larry
                                                    • 23. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                      I believe this is a print driver issue. My graphics Dept. has only one person with this issue. He is the only one with 10.5.x (10.5.5). He can print from Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.1.3 to all his available printers but one. Its a Xerox WorkCentre 7335. I have no solution at this point.
                                                      • 24. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                        I have the HP OfficeJet J6480 All-in-One. Running on MAC OS 10.5 Leopard. When I try to print from Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro to my printer I get the following error message: can't open `/private/var/spool/cups/tmp/495b789f5e8fc'. Then this: Opening Printer Connection Failed: Unable to open the printer connection. Please check your printer connections and check for printer errors. But when I print from Preview it prints just fine. Go Figure? It will even print from Office Mac with no problems.
                                                        • 25. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                                          For use with Leopard, please make sure you have at least Mac OS X.5.2,
                                                          preferably the latest and greatest. Next if you still cannot print, try
                                                          resetting your printer subsystem.

Mike
                                                          • 26. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                            how Is re-installing the whole OS without recovery from previous backup an acceptable solution?? setting up the machine with all the settings, programs, drivers etc... takes hours if not days... shouldn't the solution just be "resetting some print subsystem component, or changing permissions on some files"?

This is Unix based system (i.e. no registry corruption issues), how messed up does it get on the back end to require a full re-install?
                                                            • 27. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                              MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                                              In the post above this one. I did recommend a resetting the printer
                                                              subsystem. But when things go south and nothing else works, then
                                                              sometime a clean install is easier than the alternatives.

Mike
                                                              • 28. Re: Reader 8.1.2 Mac still won't print under Leopard
                                                                jay jay lam

hi don i happen to have the same problem but only mine prints but not in the right format it cuts of half the page but i have the reader 9 could you help me???