1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2008 6:08 AM by Ildhund

cannot uninstall earlier version

I am getting the cannot uninstall earlier version error when installing current version of Reader 8.1.x.

I have:
      tried the windows add/delete.
      tried the manual delete processes on kd.adobe
      edited the resistry and removed all adobe, acrobat and acroIE references.

I suppose the problem is that the 3 dll files in program files/common files/adobe/reader/activex cannot be removed by any method I have tried
      [ including running regsrv32 /u PDF.ocx from the folder ]
      So I guess the question is how to get rid of those files.

XP sp 2 on A Dell Dimension E510 desktop.
        • 1. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
          I CANNOT UNINSTALL 7.0 READER. IT WILL NOT DELETE. 8.0 WILL NOT INSTALL UNTILL 7.0 IS GONE AND IT WILL NOT DELETE? HELP!!!
          E-MAIL: billfaye2@bellsouth.net
          • 2. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
            I am have the same problem. Cannot uninstall older version to install new one.
            • 3. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
              I have the same problem and this web forums is not the easiest either so how do I get to the resolve problem.
              • 4. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                Level 1
                Is there an error message when you attempt to uninstall?
                • 5. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                  Level 1
                  It has been a while, but I do not think so.
                  • 6. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                    Level 1
                    > It has been a while, but I do not think so.

There usually is. If you can get the error, I can probably help.
                    • 7. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                      Level 1
                      At this point no Adobe program appears in the add remove screen.
                      In fact the only vestage appears to be the 3 .dll files in adobe/reader/activex
                      • 8. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                        I have the same problem, but my error message is in danish.
                        The Adobe Reader appears in the add/remove screen with to updates that I cannot delete.

Will try to translate the message....:)
                        "This program package could not be opened. Please make sure that the program package do exist and that you have access to it, or cantact manufacture to controle, that this is a valid Windows-installation package!"

What does this mean - and how do I get rid of this (/#)#& :)
                        • 9. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                          i have the same problem also ..but i have an error 1500 ..i am getting frustrate ..help
                          • 10. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                            I, too, am having the same problem using Adobe's instructions to manually delete 8.1.X. When I get to the command prompt section and
                            do just as the instructions state to delete the three .dll files, I get a Access Denied statement. Why? I even tried signing in as Administrator in Safe Mode, but that didn't help either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ric
                            • 11. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                              I'm having the same problems I cannot uninstall Adobe Reader 8.1.1. to install A.R.8.1.2 on top of which I cannot install any of the other Adobe family (perhaps a larger hammer ?) I've tried all the TechNotes but to no avail.By the way I get up the message "this patch package could not be opened but I've also had error 1714(?)come up a couple of times Any ideas guys
                              • 12. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                My Adobe Reader 8.1.1 doesn't work anymore I can't uninstall it and can't download 8.1.2.

Upon attampting to uninstall 8.1.1 or installing 8.1.2 I get the same error massage as René Haahr: "Can't open patch package. Check that patch package exists and that you have access or contact the applications' manufacturer to make sure that this is a valid Windows Installer-patch package". (translated from Dutch).
                                • 13. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                  Level 1
                                  well i still at it but no success yet i have adobe reader 7.0.9 install now .i did download the newer version but cannot install it because .apparently i am suppose to remove the other version first ..and i cannot do it i get the error 1500 ..and i cannot believe there is no way to fix this i guess in the future i will be a lots more carefull about what i download ..
                                  when i got it at first i was quite happy for a free service and it work great but now i think the only way for me to fixe it is to pay ....right or wrong ?
                                  • 14. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                    I just downloaded the new 8.1.2 version and am running into the very same problem as all of you have mentioned. Apparently no one from Adobe is monitoring this message board or an answer would have been posted long before now. I absolutely must have the newest version to run a data management program that Bird Banding Laboratory requires. I feel so stuck and frustrated with a support system from a company that doesn't provide any online support. Even AOL has more support than this! Sorry, just really upset.
                                    • 15. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                      don't feel so out-of-whack to see others with same problem. doesn't allow Adobe 8.xx to install because previous version cannot be removed. Found 2 files, AcroIEHelper.dll & AcroPDF.dll in the \Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX folder not allowing me to delete manually. Message: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Have tried the PocketKillBox, MoveOnBox, Unlocker & followed several procedures read on forums turning off the explorer.exe & using DOS as Administrator in regular and safe modes with no luck

Any other ideas??
                                      • 16. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                        (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                                        AcroIEHelper.dll & AcroPDF.dll are registered DLLs. Don't know why you
                                        need to remove the manually, but you will need to unregister them I
                                        expect.

Aandi Inston
                                        • 17. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                          Level 1
                                          Mentioned earlier that files couldn't be deleted saying Access Denied. gave up last night and starting this morning found that the whole \Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX folder disappeared so went to site downloaded the newest version 8.1.2 and attemped to install but still get the message: Error 1714. The older version of Adobe Reader 8.1.2 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

The Adobe Reader 8.1.2 - Setup box is showing
                                          Applications: {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A70000000000}, Command line: UPG...

Only place I know of a line like that is in the Registry so done search and the {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A70000000000} could not be found.

HELP... any ideas where it's located or does this mean I'm screwed and will never be able to install the reader on this pc?

have a Dell XPS 400 if that helps at all
                                          • 18. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                            I have also experienced all the problems described. I found a solution & deleted Adobe 8.1.1 using "windows Installer Cleanup utility"- Thanks to Carl Lambert who provided the solution & instructions under Can not print from Adobe Reader - see entry for Feb 25th.
                                            I was able to delete all old Adobe stuff & start afresh. It all works ok now
                                            • 19. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                              Level 1
                                              Irene! You are now officially my hero!! It worked like a charm. Thank you very much.

Pieter from Amsterdam
                                              • 20. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                                                Don't try to fix this sort of thing manually with the registry. You
                                                may dig yourself so deep a hole you can't get out.

If you manually "uninstall" you aren't really uninstalling at all. You
                                                need to use the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

Aandi Inston
                                                • 21. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Ok, After many many hours of messing with the Adobe induced difficulty of removing these 3 .dll files I have taken the only logical step. I down loaded a free pdf reader and will NEVER deal with Adobe reader again. [its easy to get a free reader, just google pdf reader] When I purchase my next computor any Adobe trash will be removed before I buy it.

Strongly recommend that other take same action since other freeware vendors WILL offer basic technical support and Adobe is an intentional stonewall.

I want to say:
                                                  1. In the past I have purchased several Adobe products for business and personal use --NEVER AGAIN
                                                  2. I am probably more tech literate than most reader users. I tried evert potential fix suggest on the Adobe knowledge base and other places as well. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for the virus like properties of reader which make it so difficult to remove under some circumstances.
                                                  • 22. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                    I have an error message ! Error 1714 something about a previous version. When following Adobe instructions, can't uninstall - THAT message says can't locate patch package so can't remove. Check with my technical support - well, you're talking to it/them and not so technical. Looked through program files, didn't find any ".msi" files and wouldn't know what to do with them if I did. Don't want to use the Windows Install Clean Up utility - afraid it will mess with other stuff since it says it might. Please help!
                                                    • 23. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                      Nemuri13 Level 1
                                                      Don't be afraid to use the Windows Installer Clean-up. That is your only hope of getting the old Reader off your computer. As long as you ONLY remove the Reader there is absolutely no danger in using the utility. It is very simple and straight forward. Just install it, launch it, Reader will be at the top of the list. Select your version of Reader and then click the Remove button. Simple. Do not remove any other programs.

Good Luck!
                                                      • 24. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                        I'm trying to install the 8.0 version of Adobe Reader. It asks me to insert the 6.0.1 disk. I don't have this disk. How can I remove this so that I can continue w/ the install?
                                                        • 25. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                          Level 1
                                                          My advice:

Use Windows Installer Clean-Up as suggested by Gene. Go to:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

and install the free Foxit PDF reader and steer clear of Adobe Reader.

Good luck!
                                                          Pieter
                                                          • 26. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                            I'm getting the same problem... and I can't find the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
                                                            • 27. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                              Level 1
                                                              "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
                                                              1. Open Browser, TYPE "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
                                                              2. When "Results appear, look for "support,microsoft.com DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"------click
                                                              3. When page opens, scroll down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now"------click
                                                              4. When "File Download-Security Warning" box appears,--Click-"RUN"
                                                              5. After download completes, Open "PROGRAMS" and look for "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"----click to open
                                                              6. When "box" opens, look for Adobe 8.1.1 or other Versions---click
                                                              (HIGHLIGHT) DO NOT HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PROGRAM!!
                                                              7. At bottom of "box"-----click-"REMOVE"
                                                              8. Go back to "PROGRAMS"-"ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"----Adobe Reader should be gone
                                                              9. Now download Adobe Reader Version 8.1.2 or any program of your choice.
                                                              SOME EARLIER VERSIONS OF ADOBE READER WERE "CORRUPTED"- VERSION 8.1.2 IS SUPPOSED TO CORRECT THIS
                                                              • 28. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                After using Adobe Reader 7.x.x successfully on Windows XP Home Edition for many months, we suddenly had the same problems as above commenters # 8, 11, and 12. We followed the advice of Gene Hutton and Carl Lambert (commenters # 23 and 27, respectively), and then successfully downloaded and used Adobe Reader Version 8.1.2.

Many thanks to Gene and Carl for sharing the solution to this pervasive and frustrating software problem.
                                                                • 29. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                  Nick's
                                                                  this is for everyone

ist a clean up utility from microsoft

http://tinyurl.com/2wo2wf

Warning: The Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up utility only removes registry entries created by the application installer. Files and other registry entries for the application are not removed by this utility and could cause inadvertent effects on the system if not removed. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs that use MSI (Microsoft installer). Caution is advised. Read information about the utility on the Microsoft website at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 .

1. Download and install the Windows Install Clean Up utility.

a. Visit the Microsoft website at http://support.microsoft.com and search for msicuu2.exe.

b. Select the article "You receive the This patch package could not be opened error message in an Office program."

c. Click the link for the msicuu2.exe utility under Resolution Step 1.

d. Save the utility to your desktop.

e. Double-click msicuu2.exe and follow the onscreen instructions.

f. click on start, all programs and look for windows install clean up

g. click on it, a box pops up with the list of softwares installed on the machine

2. Identify the old version of Acrobat or Adobe Reader that is causing the issue and correctly remove it from the system by clicking on the remove at the bottom.
                                                                  • 30. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                    Hi! I have the same problem, but my error message is in russian. I can't unistall Acrobat Reader 7.0.5 Rus Full. Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up doesn't see any of the other Adobe family. So I can't "Identify the old version of Acrobat or Adobe Reader that is causing the issue and correctly remove it from the system by clicking on the remove at the bottom."

What can I do?
                                                                    Thanks=)

Iriny from Moscow
                                                                    • 32. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      NIcks and Becks

Thank you!!! I have been trying to clean up this problem for weeks and have talked to everyone I know for a solution. It is very important to me to have Adobe since I have to use many pdf files.
                                                                      Thanks a million. I would hug your neck if I had you here. You made my day. My frustration is ended.
                                                                      Linda
                                                                      • 33. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        been trying for months with no success but my luck changed...

many say to use the Windows Install Cleanup Utility so installed but there was no adobe programs in the list, no luck there.

today went to the adobe site and instead of downloading like I usually do, told it to run and installed from the Internet.

they may have solved the problem in the adobe reader 9 cause installed no problem.

give it a try and see if it'll work for you... good luck!!
                                                                        • 34. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                          Nick's Level 1
                                                                          Thanks Linda
                                                                          I work for Adobe in India
                                                                          • 35. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            The error message I get is: Error 1714. The older version of Adobe Reader 9 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.
                                                                            • 36. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                              When I tried to remove Abode Reader 8.1.1, there was an error messege: This patch package could not be opened!! I couldnt remove or update the program! Please Help
                                                                              • 37. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                                                nsara.

There are plenty of probable fixes in this thread. Have you tried any of them? If so, which ones and what happened?
                                                                                • 38. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                                  Level 1
                                                                                  Have you tried the new version? I went through all that of not uninstalling so finally gave up and downloaded that FoxIt Reader.

After couple months they came out with Adobe Reader 9 so I gave it a try and started installation, it seemed to have removed the problem and installed completely so now I'm back to the Adobe Reader...
                                                                                  • 39. Re: cannot uninstall earlier version
                                                                                    http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2. exe
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next