14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 8:12 PM by (jack_patel)

Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3

I need to know if Adobe Reader v8.1.2 is compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
          Not for my system; printing function is globally and mortally wounded for all programs and all printer drivers after printing from the new Adobe Reader a few times.
          • 3. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
            I have lost the ability to open a pdf document and print with the print button since installing SP3. Removed and reinstalled Adobe Reader 8.1.2 twice, reinstalled printers also without change. Discovered I can right-click and print on the document icon, but not if I open the pdf. I installed Foxit pdf with the same results. I installed Sumatra pdf and can open and print documents normally with it. Hope MS and Adobe start working on a fix for the incompatibilty of Adobe Reader with Windows SP3,
            • 4. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >Hope MS and Adobe start working on a fix for the incompatibilty of Adobe Reader with Windows SP3,

Didn't you say that it doesn't work with Foxit either?

So why would you think it's and Adobe/MS issue?

Sounds like you may need to update your printer driver or something.
              • 5. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                Level 1
                Since I installed SP3, Adobe 8.1.1 encounters an error and must close. I have cleared my temp files, run the installer cleanup utility, uninstalled and reinstalled Reader multiple times and it still won't open. I even worked with an Adobe technician over the phone to try to troubleshoot. If you have SP3 installed and the Reader works, I welcome suggestions as to what to do.
                • 6. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                  After installing XP SP3, I am having the same problem with Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.1.2.
                  • 7. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                    I've been using Reader without any problems until yesterday when administrator installed Windows XP SP3. When I do a <Ctrl-P> to print, it takes about 30 to 90 seconds for the print requester to pop up. The program is locked up and not responding during the delay, although it does NOT say "Not Responding" in the title bar.<br /><br />While the delay is going, the SysInternals Process Explorer shows but fleeting milliseconds of Kernel or User time being used. Setting the priority from 8 to 13 made no improvement at all.<br /><br />I frequently print from the Reader and the delay drives me nuts! This hang-up needs to be corrected ASAP.<br /><br />I am sure it is a Reader incompatibility because it never happened before the SP3 update, the program is hung and doing nothing and everything works perfectly before and after the <Ctrl-P> is entered.<br /><br />Word or Excel do not experience similar problems. I just tried Notepad, and it sometimes hangs the same way but not nearly as long - maybe 10 seconds at the most and only the first time. After the first delay it pops right up. Adobe Reader hangs a long time every time.<br /><br />Any idea if Adobe is going to fix it or even knows the problem exists? Do they moderate or monitor complaints like this here or elsewhere?<br /><br />I don't want to think they know about it and are fixing it if they aren't.
                    • 8. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                      (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                      See if changing the default printer helps.

Aandi Inston
                      • 9. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                        Level 1
                        Thank you to Dale Sweetland.  I was never patient enough to wait that long for the print dialog box to appear.  I just tested it.  It took 60 seconds from hitting <Ctrl-P> until the print requester appeared for a 1 page pdf.  The second time I tried it (same document) it took 55 seconds.  Yes, I have changed the default printer (I have do this regularly as I print to a number of different printers in different sites/buildings that I work at).  I have also tried reinstalling several of the printer drivers.  I never had any difficulty with Reader until SP3.  The delay in printing means I have to use Sumatra pdf to print pdf documents.  Adobe and MS engineers need to talk.
                        • 10. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                          Level 1
                          Here is a curious twist I just discovered. I was using Acrobat Version 4.0, not reader but full Acrobat, to glue pages together and annotate.

Version 4 prints lousy copy, so I meant to print a page from latest Acrobat Reader but accidentally printed from Version 4.0. Guess what? It hung up exactly the same way as the latest version.

That tells me it isn't the new version, but likely all versions that have the same problem.

The common thread to all this is the combination of Acrobat & XP SP3. Since Version 4 hasn't changed for years, it has to be SP3. Maybe Adobe did not follow the rules or the rules changed. Either way...

IT STILL HANGS UP AND DRIVES ME NUTS! Please fix it Adobe. Or Microsoft. Or talk to each other and make it right.

Was SP3 a release candidate or is it supposed to be ready for prime time? ...Just kidding. But it isn't looking very good for this to have been missed before the full release SP3.
                          • 11. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                            Thought I would tell you that when I removed the adobe printer it seemed to fix my problem...although my problem was slightly different.
                            When opening adobe acrobate standard 8.x.x it would hang withing a few seconds. Maybe the print driver for the adobe printer is causing issues with the print spooler which trashes adobe? (but that should affect every program that uses the print dialog)
                            It did for the first couple of launches after doing that anyways.
                            What's strange is that after installing sp3, computer properties show's its on sp3, but when i got to windows updates again, it shows I should install sp3. Odd. This is on multiple computers.
                            • 12. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                              Level 1
                              The problem we are having does not have to do with Standard version. This is Adobe READER. There is no printer driver installed for Reader.

However, it is interesting that you are having a similar problem in that the sp3 install doesn't seem to be recognized by certain pieces of software that look at such things.

Our System Properties say it is sp3. The windows site says we have sp2. Something doesn't jive on that.

Another odd thing is that after running the sp3 for about a week, the waiting time has become shorter. It now takes about 10 seconds for the print requester to pop up. Much better, but still not what it ought to be. I have no clue why it has improved. I'll take it though!
                              • 13. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                                Hi, is this question still unsolved ? I have the same problem in my company. The Adobe Reader (any version) can't print under Windows XP. The Reader's print dialog box freezes when I sent to print a pdf file. Thanks.
                                • 14. Re: Adobe Reader v8.1.2 Compatible with Windows XP Pro SP3
                                  I am also having this same issue..i uninstalled and reinstalled the app few times, i tried to diagnose if there any other app is conflicting with the adobe app by using "msconfig" from the run command and turning off unwated startup programs but issue still remains ..please let me know if there is any solution to this ...some people say SP3 is a problem ..and some are SP3 actually helped ...not to resolve the issue but waiting shorter time for the adobe print setup to apear..any help would be great ..thank you.