14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 9:41 AM by lylehm

Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password

Every time I open Adobe Reader 9 (Mac) it asks for an admin user name and password. I can hit cancel and the document will open, but this is very annoying. How do I change this? Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
          Level 1
          To clarify: I'm not referring to documents that have been password protected, I'm referring to the application. It asks for a the admin user name and a password even if I am just opening the Reader app - no document involved.
          • 2. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
            I am getting this behavior too.
            It is wanting the password to raise it's privileges to system.privilege.admin which I find deeply troubling for a document reader application, and consequently I have filed a bug report.
            Lets hope there is a quick fix not involving granting the privilege ;)
            • 3. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
              I have this problem since Version 8.<br /><br />I tought It would have been fixed with version 9, but it is not. I have upgraded from Mac OS 10.4.9 to 10.5.4, and I still have problems.<br /><br />When I open Reader 9 within the Admin account, I enter the password in order to install it properly. When I log out and log in with another user account, got the "License Agreement" screen, if I click <agree>, I'm prompted twice for the computer Admin Password. If I click <Cancel> on both of them, reader quits and i got the message "Reader could not instal Correctly" and it quits.<br /><br />If I go back to my local Admin account, I open Reader 9  it still work as expected.<br /><br />What am I doing wrong ? Is it a low quality app or I simply just doing my setup the wrong way ? I can't really ask every single user to enter the Admin Password in order to complete an installation. Users are not supposed to complete an installation, it's the administrator's job, my job...<br /><br />May be Reader version 8 and 9 are not compatible and cannot be installed simultaneously along Acrobat 8 Profesional...<br /><br />Adobe, I really need some help on that issue that last for about two years.
              • 4. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                Mac OS 10.4.11: I could not open pdf docs today (12-24-08), uninstalled & installed Adobe Reader 9.0.0. pdf docs icons changed but open, however cannot open Reader from Applications and get: Adobe Reader
                Version 9.0.0
                Installing/fixing installation

Then immediately get this error message:
                Adobe Reader could not install correctly.
                Adobe Reader was unable to install a necessary component
                and must quit.

Any help out there for me?
                Thanks, Tony
                • 5. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                  ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Hey Tony.

Quite sloshing your crap all over the board. All you are doing is making it hard for people trying to help to find anyhting. Not to mention pissing them off which means that even if they know the answer, they aren't going to bother to help.

Now please just keep this to your original thread.
                  • 6. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                    Level 1
                    I'm sorry, I'm not a computer guru and was trying to get my question out there on every subject I could find that I thought might be pertinent. Thank you for the information and have a Merry Christmas.

-Tony
                    • 7. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                      Dorothy Krause Level 1
                      I removed all but this bit of conversation and the topic at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b75979 that Tony started to ask his question. Please reply to him in that topic.
                      • 8. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                        ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        Thanks Dorothy.

Sorry to get mouthy on ya Tony. I hadn't had enough coffee.
                        • 9. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password

So, this thread got hijacked.  Does that mean that the original poster doesn't deserve a good answer?  Based on other replies in this thread, this is not a limited problem.

Is it that Adobe doesn't understand its Mac customers.  We like drag-and-drop install, not something that dumps prefs and app support files all over a computer that is otherwise clean, easy, organized, and straightforward to use.  Why shouldn't a user be able to install this for just his account, like MOST Mac software.  Kevin is right, there is absolutely no reason why a document reader should need anything more than user privileges.

Adobe is too worried about people pirating a FREE reader application--that's my only guess.

My workaround is to install Reader in a Windows VM, because windows is designed to have applications dig themselves in, making them virtually impossible to completely remove.  At least this way I can just kill the VM after I'm done using Reader.

• 10. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                            sprale Level 1

Acrobat and Reader are not "drag and drop" applications, they're quite powerful under the surface. For the Self Heal function, there are files installed in the System, so admin rights are required the first time, but this issue persistantly prompts users after the initial launch.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408310.html

• 11. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                              Robert W Speed

But they're not installed by drag-and-drop, they're installed as packages. There is no reason for Acrobat or Reader to show a license agreement or to request administrative privileges when opened for the first time. Both of these can easily be handled by the installer.

• 12. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                                lylehm

This problem is common and a bit of a time waster for my department.

We deploy multiuser Macs throughout our organization. Every user at their initial launch of Reader is asked to enter an admin password. Our users do not have admin privileges.

What bothers me most about this, is that there is really no good reason for it to behave this way. The only times an admin password should be needed for Reader are:

Initial installation

Application update

Component repair (plug-in, etc)

Uninstall

Once all the pieces are installed by an admin, the user shouldn't need to write to anything outside their user folder.

This behavior provides no security benefit, only hassle. I would love to see it to go away. :-)

• 13. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                                  sprale Level 1

Was Reader installed under a local admin account? Was a customized installer used? What happens when the end user simply clicks "Cancel?" Is this happening after Reader is installed for the first time on these Macs, or only after subsequent installation attempts? Have you tried repairing permissions after installing Reader?

This is a common issue. I've seen it on Intel and PPC Macs running 10.4 and 10.5 back to Acrobat 7, but it's not always consistent.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404525.html

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1153373

You could try disabling the self-heal feature and use ARD to push it to all your affected Macs:

http://ithink.ch/blog/2006/12/07/disable_self_heal_in_adobe_reader_8.html

• 14. Re: Reader 9 Mac keeps asking for admin password
                                    lylehm Level 1

Thanks for the lightning quick reply and the handy links.

I'll refer to them when we build our next deployment.

Up until about two years ago we used a combination of ASR and RADMIND. As of late, most of our deployments have been very small, so we've done them by hand (package installers both locally or over ARD).

For the moment, I'm purposely not answering more of your questions as I just launched Reader 9.4.1 on my own 10.6.5 desktop on a fresh user account and was NOT prompted for admin credentials (the first time I've ever witnessed that). As time permits, I'll try this on an affected machine and see if I can pin down a specific cause/fix.

Thanks again!