11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 1:10 PM by (Lynne_Elizondo)

Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF

Since Adobe Reader 9, I cannot save any of our pdfs (created on the fly)

None of them have forms, and all of them allow printing etc. All worked fine in Adobe 8.1, and we have 9000 distributed agents that will need to be able to download these pdfs.

Any suggestions?
        • 1. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          > Since Adobe Reader 9, I cannot save any of our pdfs (created on the fly)

What happens when you try it?
          • 2. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
            Level 1
            Absolutely nothing.

When you click on security it tells me, that "This document has an open password or a modify password".

Security Method: Password -> Adobe 3.0 and later.
            • 3. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
              Level 1
              OK Further information:

We mask the location of the temp file (the pdf) so that a user can't access the location directly. However it appears that this might be causing the issue, as moving the file to another location and creating a hard-link to it appears to work.

So now it appears that Reader 9, doesn't like masked URLs? Which will e a security problem. No idea what to do about that
              • 4. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                Level 1
                Another update: Tried the process on a number of different machines. Appears that this might be a 64bit Vista issue. (Win Xp pro appears to work correctly).

What a pain....
                • 5. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                  This is silly, the previous post blames Vista. I do not concur. I think it is adobe's responsibility. That is also the conclusion of Microsoft MVP's on http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/62190-cannot-save-pdf-files.html It seems to me that Adobe should have a fully tested and compatible version of Reader for 64bit Vista by now. According to Engadget Vista launched January 9, 2007, that is almost 2 years ago and it was available for developers long before that. As a programmer it is my job to make my software run on whatever operating system I am programming for. I do not get to blame my software's improper operation on the platform I'm programming to. I would encourage Adobe to quickly fix this bug in their software. In the meantime I'm sure most of you have discovered this work around, but just in case you haven't you can download and install cutepdf writer. This program states that it supports Vista 32 and 64bit. Amazing how a small company like this can pull this off, when Adobe doesn't seem to be able to and doesn't contradict forum posts blaming Microsoft. You can get CutePDF writer here http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp Unfortunately you will have to print from Adobe Reader to a .pdf file using this utility, which is not nearly as efficient as the Save As feature in Reader.
                  • 6. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                    Level 1
                    I've been using FoxIt Reader, which is a 3Mb download and works perfectly. (Although it doesn't state 64Bit supported anywhere that I noticed).

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php

So if they can do it, again why can't Adobe?
                    • 7. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                      Level 1
                      Good point on FoxIt Reader, I've tried FoxIt in the past and run into one problem, it didn't handle my purchased E-books in protected PDF format. If they fixed this limitation then FoxIt may be fine for people with DRM protected PDF files like me.
                      • 8. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                        Level 1
                        I find it disappointing that no one from Adobe has commented on this thread. I would appreciate it if someone from Adobe would acknowledge this bug or deny it. It would also be nice to know if this problem will be addressed in the next Reader update. I am much more impressed with Microsoft's forums, they seem to do a better job of responding to customer issues. I sincerely hope that Adobe will change my opinion of their customer service forum by responding to these concerns.
                        • 9. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          You'll seldom see Adobe personnel commenting in these threads.

On the rare occasion when they do, it's normally tech support folks whom probably wouldn't have the information you're looking for.

There IS a bug report area if you want to report a perceived bug.
                          • 10. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                            Level 1
                            Thank you. I'll file a bug report.
                            • 11. Re: Reader 9 and IE7 - Cannot save PDF
                              I find that I can scan documents just fine but when the processing starts I can't save the document. I get a vague error message. I have Windows XP.