10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 2:15 PM by Newsgroup_User

How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?

quality11 Level 1
      I am a newbie to FW.

I am trying to remove the $50 off image on this page: http://www.ntbzzz.com/order.html What's the best tool to use to fill in the diagonal line? I used the "brush" tool to fill in the bulk of the image with yellow and some black, but what's the best tool to use to make the diagonal line straight? My hands aren't that steady to use the brush tool are yours?
        • 1. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
          quality11 Level 1
          I am using version 8 by the way. Thanks!
          • 2. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
            Level 7
            I used the Pen Tool to create shapes to cover the affected area's.

http://onanysunday.co.uk/misc_images/blackYellow.fw.png

You could also achieve the same result by dragging out three rectangles
            (black, yellow, black) and tweak the shape using the subselection tool
            (white arrow).

Peter
            |
            | I am trying to remove the $50 off image on this page:
            | http://www.ntbzzz.com/order.html. What's the best tool to use to fill in
            the
            | diagonal line? I used the "brush" tool to fill in the bulk of the image
            with
            | yellow and some black, but what's the best tool to use to make the
            diagonal
            | line straight? My hands aren't that steady to use the brush tool are
            yours?
            |

• 3. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
              quality11 Level 1
              Hi PJR,

Thanks for your help and for showing me your end result. I see a pencil tool, but not a pen tool and unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean by either method that you explain below...

I used the Pen Tool to create shapes to cover the affected area's.

http://onanysunday.co.uk/misc_images/blackYellow.fw.png

You could also achieve the same result by dragging out three rectangles
              (black, yellow, black) and tweak the shape using the subselection tool
              (white arrow).
              • 4. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
                Level 7
                The file I uploaded is an editable Fireworks png (hence the bloated file
                size) if you save the file you should be able to open it in Fireworks with
                all the layers in tact. If you open the Layers panel ( Window > Layers F2)
                you should be able to see the three paths and your original bitmap. You can
                turn each on or off using the 'eye' feature.

You can select each path and the individual anchor points using the
                subselect tool (white arrow), once selected you can modify using the arrow
                keys on your keyboard one pixel at a time.

You should be able to find the 'Pen' tool at the top of the Vector section
                of your Tools panel on the left next to the 'Line' tool.

Peter

| Thanks for your help and for showing me your end result. I see a pencil
                tool,
                | but not a pen tool and unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean by
                | either method that you explain below...

• 5. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
                  quality11 Level 1
                  PJR,

I finally got a chance to do this. Excellent! That worked. Thanks so much for you help. Much easier than I thought. Take a look: http://www.ntbzzz.com/order.html Let me know if you think it is acceptable or needs some tweaking.
                  • 6. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
                    Level 7
                    Looks fine to me :-) If I had a bit more time I think I would have recreated
                    the image completely, if you know what the font's are it really wouldn't
                    have taken very long. Are you a PhotoShop user by any chance? Just struck me
                    as a PhotoShop way of doing things from your initial question. Fireworks
                    methods are very different and it can be confusing at first. I found I
                    didn't really start to make good progress until I actually got rid of
                    PhotoShop. I have it back now with CS3 creative suite web premium package,
                    but rarely use it anymore.

Peter

"quality11" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:g9jo74$hkh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    | PJR,
                    |
                    | I finally got a chance to do this. Excellent! That worked. Thanks so
                    much
                    | for you help. Much easier than I thought. Take a look:
                    | http://www.ntbzzz.com/order.html Let me know if you think it is
                    acceptable or
                    | needs some tweaking.
                    |

• 7. How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
                      quality11 Level 1
                      So glad to hear that! I like FW a lot (even though I'm such a beginner) and it seems to integrate so well with DW. I heard that the CS3 package no longer included FW...?

No....I have never really used Photoshop. Now, I am totally confused why you would have recreated the whole image ?? B/c Photoshop doesn't have the same tools/features?
                      • 8. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
                        Level 7
                        Adobe CS3 Web Premium does include Fireworks and you also get full and free
                        access the Fireworks CS4 beta, which has a bundle of new and improved
                        features. I think it's the Design Premium that does not include Fireworks
                        but you do get InDesign in it's place I believe, but do check with Adobe.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. The only reason I would have recreated
                        the image, 'the top section' is I think it would have been easier and better
                        to get rid of the '$50 off image' altogether, then simply redraw the yellow
                        section. One large new yellow section against two black and one small yellow
                        sections. Nothing in it really, but if you look really closely, and probably
                        only because I know it's there, there is a very slight fuzziness on the
                        yellow section where we hid the red. But I am being very picky :-)

Peter
                        and it
                        | seems to integrate so well with DW. I heard that the CS3 package no
                        longer
                        | included FW...?
                        |
                        | No....I have never really used Photoshop. Now, I am totally confused why
                        you
                        | would have recreated the whole image (?? B/c Photoshop doesn't have the
                        same
                        | tools/features?
                        |

• 9. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
                          quality11 Level 1
                          No. No. I totally agree with you -- I see it too. How would I recreate it in FW? See how new I am?
                          • 10. Re: How do I brush color along diagonal straight line?
                            Level 7
                            On 02 Sep 2008 in macromedia.fireworks, PJR wrote:

> I think it's the Design Premium that does not include Fireworks but
                            > you do get InDesign in it's place I believe, but do check with
                            > Adobe.

Of the six suites - Design Premium, Design Standard, Web Premium, Web
                            Standard, Production Premium and Master Collection - the only ones which
                            don't include Fireworks are Design Standard and Production Premium.
                            Adobe tossed it in with Design Premium as of the 3.3 upgrade.

--
                            Joe Makowiec
                            http://makowiec.net/
                            Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php