7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2008 9:21 PM by pwillener

Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0

Please bear with me as I am new at this, and I hope I'm in the right place for these questions. I currently have Adobe Reader 8.1.2 - do I need to upgrade to 9.0? If so, will the current PDF files that I have still open and would this also be why I can't get the flash player to install? I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times (flash player) and still no luck. My OS is Windows XP/Internet Explorer. And in addition, how can I take PDF that is to large to email down to a smaller size? Winzip didn't work on the receivers end. If anyone can help me it would be deeply appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0
          Ildhund Level 3
          My advice to those about to upgrade - don't! If Reader 8.1.2 is
          working for you, stick to it. This forum is full of complaints from
          people who've had trouble with version 9.

If Flash Player won't install, go to
          http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1
          and follow the instructions to remove the old version. Then go to
          http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
          and download the installer for the new version.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'Winzip didn't work on
          the receiver's end'. Did he receive the file or not?
          --
          Noel
          • 2. Re: Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            >This forum is full of complaints from
            people who've had trouble with version 9.

Of course it is. It's a forum that people come to to hep with issues. You could say the same thing about 8.x too (and 7.x and 6.x..etc).

As for the rest of us, we're running 9 on Win XP (and Mac Leopard ) without issue.

As for Victoria's question, no, you don't NEED to upgrade to 9. That's entirely up to you. You may run in to some PDF's at some point that require 9 to use some special features but until then, 8.x will work fine.

>how can I take PDF that is to large to email down to a smaller size? Winzip didn't work on the receivers end.

Winzip is your option. The only other option would be to optimize the file using Acrobat (not Reader).

I would check Winzip and find out how to create a self extracting archive. That way the receiver doesn't need Winzip installed on their machine.
            • 3. Re: Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0
              Level 1
              Noel,
              Thank you for your assistance. I'll try to tackle the Flash problem first then revisit the Winzip issue. The receiver did receive the file it's just that he could not get it to open. I tried a test and resent it to my other email address and I also could not get it to open so I may have messed up the original zip file. Again, let me tackle the Flash then the zip :-) I shall return! lol
              • 4. Re: Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0
                Level 1
                graffati,
                Thank you for your response also. I didn' think about a self-extracting file, great idea. I'll try that once I can get this Flash problem resolved. Thanks again!
                • 5. Re: Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0
                  Level 1
                  Noel,
                  Thank you. I had been to those sites a dozen times without luck. I went and installed the Shockwave first then the Flash and they both installed properly. I appreciate all the assistance I was given. Now I just have to wait for my hair to grow back in :-) (From pulling it out during this installation process, just kidding of course) Thanks again! Now to the file reduction problem.
                  • 6. Re: Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0
                    Level 1
                    graffiti,
                    Thanks for the imput on self-extracting. Did that but the file is still almost 16mb and I need it down to 10mb or less and I can't figure out how to split the self-extracting, so, again, I'm trying to figure other options. Again, thanks and now I need to go find a "Winzip" support page :-)
                    • 7. Re: Upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.0
                      pwillener Level 8
                      There are several things that you may not be able to do:
                      - send large email attachments
                      - attach EXE (self-extracting) files
                      - split self-extracting files

What you *can* do is split a normal ZIP file, but if the recipient does not have WinZip, s/he may not be able to rejoin the files.

You may need to think of another way of transferring large files than email, e.g. FTP or file sharing.