19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 6:58 AM by ~graffiti

Saving as a .pdf document

I use a HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One Printer for scanning. When I scan a doument, I do not get the opinion of saving it as a .pdf file. After countless emails, responses and suggestions from HP, this morning I received the following email:

"Patsy, I regert to inform you that the All-in-One does not support Adobe version 9.0 to scan as pdf. However, I suggest you to install the Adobe 6 version and try to scan as pdf. I request you to contact the application vendor to install the full version pdf software. Tks, HP"

I have tried to find and download Adobe Verson 6 from ANYWHERE and I have been unsuccessful. I am already running Verson 9.

I would appreciate anyone assisting me in locating where I can download and install the full version of Version 6 as suggested by HP or any other ideas as to how I can get this product to scan and save in a .pdf format.

Thank you for you time and I appreciate any help that can be provided.
      Patsy
        • 1. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Buy and install Adobe Acrobat 9. Then you can create PDF documents from your scanner.
          • 2. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
            (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
            I take it that by "Adobe" they mean "Adobe Acrobat". 6.0 was
            discontinued when 7.0 was released at the end of 2004, and is no
            longer available.

Aandi Inston
            • 3. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
              Level 1
              Thank you Bernd and Aandi for your quick responses .... as noted in the email from HP, the "All-in-One does not support Adobe version 9.0 to scan"; however, in a previous email from them, they did say that I could also try using the Adobe Acrobat 7. I have also been unable to find a location to download this version from - if you know or have any suggestions, I would be grateful to receive the download site. Thank you again.
              • 4. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                Sorry, Acrobat 7 was discontinued when Acrobat 8 was released.

But if you have Acrobat 9, you can scan to PDF, can't you?

Aandi Inston
                • 5. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                  Level 1
                  Hi Aandi,

I am advised by HP Support, that the scanner I am using "HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One" does not support Adobe version 9.0 to scan as .pdf. That is my problem. I only purchased the Officejet a couple of years ago and was not concerned nor did I try to scan into a .pdf but now I have set up a home office and it is necessary for me to save some documents in the .pdf format thus my problem with the Officejet. I really didn't plan on having to buy a new scanner/fax/printer. I wonder if I would be able to use the Version 8 and if it would load in my computer with the Version 9 already installed? Any suggestions? Patsy
                  • 6. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                    ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    Patsy.

What do you actually have. Do you have Adobe Acrobat version 9 or Adobe Reader version 9.

You just say Adobe and that doesn't really tell us anything.

If you just have Reader, then the scanner's software is actually doing the scanning and creating the PDF. Reader won't do anything but open it.
                    • 7. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                      Level 1
                      Hi graffiti .... neat name! Okay, what I have is Adobe Reader 9.0. Hope this helps you to help me .. thank you. Patsy
                      • 8. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                        (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                        No version of Adobe Reader has ever supported scanning. It is Adobe
                        Acrobat which can support scanning.

Aandi Inston
                        • 9. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                          >Okay, what I have is Adobe Reader 9.0.

>No version of Adobe Reader has ever supported scanning.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. You actually need something other than Reader to scan to PDF.

Unfortunately like it was mentioned earlier, the version of Acrobat that HP says you need is no longer available from Adobe. Sorry.
                          • 10. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                            Patsy,

I'm no computer guy, but was faced this week with what I believe is the same challenge you address above. I saw your question while searching for the same answer. I also have Adobe Reader #8 but was finally able to scan documents into PDF files using my HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One by placing a document on my scanner screen, turning it on, then clicking the following:

(1.) Start / All Programs / HP / HP Viewer / Scan Document (icon is in left margin)
                            (2.) A small screen appears entitled "Select Source", and provides the "HP Officejet 6200 Series TWAIN" option. Highlight this then click "select".
                            (3.) I accept the default provided on the next screen (i.e., radio buttons for "Document" & "Scan for editable text"; "Scan to:" (drop box) "HP Document Viewer; check "Show Preview" box; then click "Scan".
                            (4.) After a brief pause, my printer scans, then the HP Document Viewer screen on the PC provides a small image of the scanned document and allows me to click the "accept" icon.
                            (5.) After "accepting" the scan into the HP Document Viewer, it takes a minute for it to appear in the "viewer". Notice that the "View Thumbnails" tab is highlighted at the top of this screen. Click the check-box next to the scanned item then click the "View Page" tab just to the right of the "View Thumbnails" tab.
                            (6.) The new screen should show a larger version of your scanned document. Now notice the "Save As" icon in the upper left corner. Click that, then "yes" to warning default screen, then select a file name and location to save it into.
                            (7.) Before clicking save, click the drop box next to the "Save as type:" and select one of the pdf options. Mine offers: "PDF 1-bit", PDF 8-bit Grayscale", and "PDF 24-bit Color" options. Choose one of them then click "save".
                            (8.) You should then be able to find the scanned pdf file in the directory you selected to save it under.

Note that I had somehow managed to remove some of the HP files originally loaded with this printer since it was originally purchased a few years ago, so had to place the disk into the PC and uninstall the program (unplug the printer cable from back of PC first) then re-load it (waiting until being prompted to re-connect the printer cable) with the same disk. I was then able to go through the steps above.

God bless..

Ted.
                            • 11. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                              Level 1
                              You can get to some of the older versions of Adobe Acrobat using:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

Appligent Document Solutions
                              http://www.appligent.com
                              • 12. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                Those are just updates, not full versions.
                                • 13. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                  I am also looking desperately for version 8 to be downloaded and was thrilled to find the link, only to find out as graffiti said, they are only updates. How sad
                                  • 14. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                    Do you want version 8 of Acrobet or do you want the free Reader?

If you want the free Reader, go to the Reader download page and choose an older OS.
                                    • 15. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                      I can't seem to place a new message! Please don't shout at me! Just need to ask which is the best Adobe Acrobat to support a xerox scanner? I bought mine a few years ago, though can't remember which one (it's at home) All help much appreciated!

Cheers in advance

PP

http://vauxhall.liveflash.co.uk/grimshaws/
                                      • 16. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                        Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                        > I can't seem to place a new message!

Use the link 'Add Topic'.
                                        • 17. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                          >which is the best Adobe Acrobat to support a xerox scanner?

You can only purchase the newest version which is 9.
                                          • 18. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                            Level 1
                                            Hi Bernd Alheit

I think I'm going mad!!!I cannot seem to find ADD TOPIC anywhere!

cheers
                                            • 19. Re: Saving as a .pdf document
                                              Sarah. Go back to the main list at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b2e6/ and look towards the top of the page right under the gray box.

You'll see Bookmark | Add Topic | Subscribe