7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 7:55 AM by Bernd Alheit

Damage File.

When ever I am tring to download .pdf file from the mail. It showing message like"File is damage and can't repaired". What is the problem with this files. and how I repaired it.
        • 1. Re: Damage File.
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          The problem lies in transit. The servers between you and the sender look
          at the pdf, think its an ascii file and mess it up. You can avoid this
          if you zip the files before emailing.

Another alternative is to host the files on a server and send a link to
          download the files. Adobe offers acrobat.com that will allow you to do
          this at no cost.

Mike
          • 2. Re: Damage File.
            Hi, when i download ebook, I cant open it with my adobe reader. a small window will popup and say, ADOBE READER COULD NOT OPEN 'KUASALELONG(1).ZIP' BECAUSE THE FILE HAS BEEN DAMAGE(FOR EXAMPLE,IT WAS SENT AS AN EMAIL ATTACHMENT AND WASN`T CORRECTLY DECODED.

For your info, some ebooks can be open by my adobe reader but most of them will have that message above.

HELP !!! Thank You.
            • 3. Re: Damage File.
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              First, you don't have the PDF yet. You have to decompress the zip file and extract the PDF from it (usually by double clicking the zip file after downloading it).
              • 4. Re: Damage File.
                Level 1
                I have tried double click the zip file and a message pop up PLEASE INSERT THE LAST DISK OF THE MULTI-VOLUME SET AND CLICK O.K. TO CONTINUE.

Is there another way to open the COMPRESSED ZIPPED FOLDER that i have downloaded.

Thank You.
                • 5. Re: Damage File.
                  Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Looks like a splitted zip file. Do you have other files ending with .z01, .z02, and so on?
                  • 6. Re: Damage File.
                    Level 1
                    <Bernd Alheit> wrote in message news:59b6d28b.4@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Looks like a splitted zip file. Do you have other files ending with<br />> .z01, .z02, and so on?<br /><br />Traditionally, the different parts of a split ZIP have the same <br />name/extension (that is, they are all named "something.zip"), so I don't <br />think there's any *.z01/ etc. This is opposed to RARs and ARJs, that use <br />different extension for the different parts (.rar/.r01/.r02/etc, <br />.arj/.a01/.a02/etc). As a consequence, these parts can only be stored on <br />different volumes of removable media (different floppies), and not in a <br />single directory on the hard disk; plus the confusion of which file is which <br />part (pkzip uses volume labels to specify part numbers).<br /><br />Maybe the OP needs to (1) download all parts, it seems she/he downloaded <br />only one, (2) put those on floppies, taking care to rename all parts to give <br />them same name and [a ZIP] extension, and (3) only then try to open the <br />archive, inserting the different floppies as requested.<br /><br />But again, maybe I'm wrong and some newer utility broke with this (bad, in <br />my opinion) tradition.
                    • 7. Re: Damage File.
                      Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      > Traditionally, the different parts of a split ZIP have the same
                      name/extension ...

WinZip creates files with names like Data.Z01, Data.Z02, and so on. The last segment will always have the .zip extension (e.g., Data.zip).