6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 3:15 AM by David Batson

Adobe Reader 9 Installer on Desktop?

I just installed Adobe Reader 9 on a new Win Vista machine and it intalled three icons on my desktop: Adobe Reader 9, Adobe Reader 9 Installer, Acrobat.com. I understand why I need the Adobe Reader 9, but why were the other two left on my desktop after the intall? Can I delete the Adobe Reader 9 Installer and the Acroat.com? I don't really want them on my desktop if I don't need them. Thanks for the help. Mac
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Installer on Desktop?
          pwillener Level 8
          I have never seen the Adobe Reader Installer ending up on the desktop, that that may be a Vista thing; I think you can delete it.

Acrobat.com is an application; if you don't want it, uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Installer on Desktop?
            Level 1
            I had it do the same thing when I installed adobe reader 9. I also can't veiw pdf in a web page either. I have had nothing but problems every since I downloaded the adobe reader 9. I don't know if you can delete these though.
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Installer on Desktop?
              I have the same thing. I use Vista home Premium
              I notice the adobe reader 9 installer folder is full of stuff. I wonder if you can delete it after reader 9 is installed?

Also I have adobe Air in my programs. Can that be deleted too?

Now when I first downloaded reader 9 I clicked ok for the Adobe DLM active x and that allowed something called "getPlus for Adobe" from NOS Microsystems. When I installed adobe Reader 9 on another computer, I did not click ok to Adobe DLM active x and i did NOT get reader 9installer on my dek top nor the getPlus for Adobe

I wonder if you don't use Adobe DLM active X and if you delete Adobe Air, Acrobat.com, doe you still have the newer secure Reader 9 functions?
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Installer on Desktop?
                pwillener Level 8
                > I notice the adobe reader 9 installer folder is full of stuff. I wonder if you can delete it after reader 9 is installed?

No, you won't be able to uninstall or upgrade the reader if you delete these files.

> Also I have adobe Air in my programs. Can that be deleted too?

Don't *delete* programs; *uninstall* them from Add/Remove Programs.
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Installer on Desktop?
                  So, bottom line, do you need to have this folder called "Adobe Reader 9 Installer or not"? It's stated "Don't *delete* them, *uninstall* them from Add/Remove Programs"............there is Nothing in the Add/Remove Programs for this Adobe Reader 9 Installer? I want the Adobe Reader 9, but what can safely be done with this folder on my desktop that contains the following: Air Folder, Reader 9 Folder, AIRShareInstaller.exe, Folder.jpg, Setup.exe, and a Setup.ini??? I couldn't even find a good clear answer in the Adobe Forums? Seems to be poor support explaining by Adobe. All I wanted to download was the Adobe Reader, now I have this and Why on my desktop? If anyone can answer, I would sure appreciate it.
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Installer on Desktop?
                    Level 1
                    I uninstalled Adobe Air and Acrobat.com using Programs and Features in Windows 7 Beta (which is the equivalent of Add or Remove Programs in previous versions of Windows). That seemed to fix a problem I had in viewing PDFs in a browser window. So you do not need Adobe Air or Acrobat.com for Adobe Reader to work!