32 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2009 9:40 PM by pwillener

Acrobat Reader Version 9

I am running Windows XP

I downloaded and installed Acrobat Reader 9.0

I am not able to open any pdf files.

The diagnostic message that I get is:

Runtime Error!
      Program: C:|Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

====

I have removed the software and re-installed it several times & I restart my computer after the installation.

I would be grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks
      Bonita
        • 1. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
          I am having the same problem. Hopefully we both find out why.

I tried a month or so ago and gave up with Adobe. Got another reader but the trial period is over and they want me to buy so again nothing to open pdf files.

Not sure why this is happening either but I also have windows Xp mine is XP pro

Hopeful still
          Louise
          • 2. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
            Level 1
            Waiting to hear for a reply on why we can not run Adobe 9 heck I can not even find it, so not installing correctly in any case
            • 3. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
              MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              First thing I would recommend is to update your Windows XP and make sure
              you have the latest Windows Installer Application. Then download but do
              not install Reader 9 (if you do not have it already on your system).
              Then download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool.

Disconnect you computer from the internet. Turn off all antivirus and
              antispyware programs from your computer. Run the Microsoft Installer
              Cleanup. Remove all traces of any version of Reader. Then try installing
              Reader 9. Turn on your Antivirus and spyware programs and see how things go.

Mike
              • 4. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                Level 1
                Well for now got a free reader that works sort of as you need to save it before you can open it but got by high speed providers bill printed.

Louise H
                • 5. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                  Level 1
                  Well, I gave up on Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 9 and went back to Version 8.2.1 and things are working fine.
                  • 6. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                    Can anyone help me with understanding what I need to do about Adobe Acrobat Reader Version 9 not opeinig pdf file. I have uninstalled all old version and now I'm stuck with a version that will not work on my computer. Any advice I can't seem to find the old version that I uninstalled on this web site it keeps telling me to upload new version 9. Anyone please help.
                    • 7. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                      Can you tell us something about your computer? OS? For example.

Mike
                      • 8. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                        Level 1
                        I have windows vista home basic laptop from accer. I have dial up with aol 9.1 version. I need major help I can't see my husband paycheck because it uses pdf files to view all I get is a blank screen with a X in it. Im awful with computers but I have tried everything to fix it. I did the unistaller to uninstall all old version of adobe reader from this web site. I have tried everything uninstall reinstall everything that I have seen on this website I have tried nothing is working. When I go to my husbands payroll it says I don't have adobe reader but I do. When I go to other sites it says the same thing. I don't know what to do. Please help anyone.
                        • 9. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                          Try right clicking on the link to download the pdf to your computer. See
                          if you can then open the pdf file using Reader.

Mike
                          • 10. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                            Level 1
                            Mike this does not work as well. I give up on it I have tried everything with no success. I can down load pdf files and view them just not my husband payroll check not sure why maybe some kind of security reason still just a read X. when I try to view his check. Only down load a pdf file not view it in my web browses. Thanks for trying to help me. I also think it has something to do with my regeristry
                            • 11. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                              Level 1
                              I had this problem and had to save the file then I could open the pdf file but not as an attachment.

I can do it now that I have gone back to 8.13 but not while I had version 9 (actually I could not get it going at all after the update went to version 9. I have windows xp pro.
                              • 12. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                I am having with installing v9 as well. After reading this thread, it seems like I need to disable my antivirus application. I switch back to ver 8 as well. I may try to do the upgrade again later.
                                • 13. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                  I am running Adobe Reader 9 on my computer with Vista.
                                  My problem is that some PDF files print OK but I have a file that prints in what seems to br Wingdings, but I can print it OK on my Wife's printer.
                                  Can anyone help?
                                  • 14. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                    Level 1
                                    Isn't version 8.2.1 a security risk?
                                    • 15. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                      Level 1
                                      It might be, I am using 8.31 as I can not get version 9 to work at all having error message popping up when I try to open it. So of no use to me
                                      • 16. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                        Level 1
                                        I have been having this same problem for months, now running version 8.31 and having not problems, just can not use version 9 I am running windows XP pro, suspect it runs fine with Vista though.

I ran another trial reader for a while till the trial time ran out and had to purchase it (also wrote pdf files, but since I do not do that I mailly need it to read my invoices for service from my high speed provider. or files sent to me at attachements. Those on line were not a problem because firefox had a pdf reader, but could not open attached files in emails (using Outlook 2007)

Louise
                                        • 17. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                          > Isn't version 8.2.1 a security risk?

No. This version doesn't exist.
                                          • 18. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                            Level 1
                                            Or maybe I should say any of the version 8 a security risk?
                                            • 19. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                              Update to the latest version and you won't have anything to worry about.

BUT, in another thread you say you have version 9. You shouldn't have both versions on the same machine. Not recommended nor supported.
                                              • 20. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                Level 1
                                                Graffiti, you mean me or bonita? I just have reader 9
                                                • 21. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                  Mac OS 10.4.11: I could not open pdf docs today (12-24-08), uninstalled & installed Adobe Reader 9.0.0. pdf docs icons changed but open, however cannot open Reader from Applications and get: Adobe Reader
                                                  Version 9.0.0
                                                  Installing/fixing installation

Then immediately get this error message:
                                                  Adobe Reader could not install correctly.
                                                  Adobe Reader was unable to install a necessary component
                                                  and must quit.

Any help out there for me?
                                                  Thanks, Tony
                                                  • 22. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                    Level 1
                                                    I had to go back to version 8 to get my reader to open pdf files. I gave up as well on version 9 as I could not get it to install either I had to do this a while ago (over a month) and have not updated since.

OS MS windows XP PC

Louise
                                                    • 23. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                      Louise I want to do the same and go back to reader 8 but I cant find it in adobe free download. Pse advise.
                                                      • 24. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                        Level 1
                                                        http://www.brothersoft.com/adobe-reader-download-76039.html
                                                        Found version 8 here and it works great. Not sure why version 9 never would even load on my computer OS Windows XP pro Lots of hard drive room good video card and good processor but no luck and finally went back to version 8 and happy now that it is working again and opening pdf files.
                                                        • 25. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                          Almost every time I open Reader 9 it hangs. Actually got sme Adobe tech support and we tried everything to get Reader 9 to work. Last time on call I was able to print 1 page from LOD files "Customer, Name..." on the Adobe website, so tech figured it was over and we hung up. Subsequently I had same problems and called tech support back today, and was willing to pay $39, but was told that "THERE IS NO TECH SUPPORT AVAILABLE FOR FREE READER YOU MUST GO TO ADOBE FORUM FOR HELP" so here I am....

HP Pavillion m5680n W/ 2 Intel Core 6400 processors @2.13MHz; 2 GB RAM; XP Media Edition SP3 all up to date; Began having problems when downloaded Adobe Reader 9. Had been using an earlier version (don't remember which) and began having problems looking at Adobe pdf files so figured I'd better accept upgrade which was being suggested when I couldn't read files. Now I can sometimes look at 4 mb + pdf files but can't print from them. This is true whether I am online using Firefox 2.00.20 or most up-to-date IE-7 or trying to look at or print pdf files on my hard disk.

Anybody having similar problems?
                                                          • 26. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Well very similar and I tried everything to get version 9 to work and finally gave up.

I am happy having re-installed version 8 the works well too.

repeating this message so you might try this and get back to a reader that will work

Found version 8 here and it works great. Not sure why version 9 never would even load on my computer OS Windows XP pro Lots of hard drive room good video card and good processor but no luck and finally went back to version 8 and happy now that it is working again and opening pdf files.
                                                            • 27. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                              Just downloaded version 9, but it won't work, says something about sql server, what does that have to do with pdf files? Still doesn't work, just want to read pdf files.
                                                              • 28. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                                pwillener Level 8
                                                                > says something about sql server

A little bit more detailed message would potentially help.
                                                                • 29. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                                  Hello. I discovered that the v9 Acrobat, and apparently Reader, have problems running on networked computers with "Folder Redirection" in use where the "My Documents" folder is redirected to a UNC path and not a mapped drive letter. (ie., "\\SERVER\DATA\USERS\JBLOW\DOCS" instead of "U:\DOCS". Since we have Group Policy and Folder Redirection configured companywide, we were not about to change it for everyone. So, all Readers are v8.x and for our Adobe Acrobat Pro v9 users, we initiated a local script which runs at an interval every minute and does a silent regedit import which fixes the UNC paths back to the mapped drive letter, and Voila! It works - no runtime error.

Maybe different from your situation, but it worked for us. Hope it helps...

Antonio Cuny (acuny@yahoo.com)
                                                                  • 30. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                                    I can no longer open any pdf file after installing 9.

I have tried uninstalling it and going back to 6 but still am being told the air file is broken.

I just wanna be able to open my pdf files again

What has happened to adobe and why are they not supplying any answers?

Are adobe products no longer any use?
                                                                    • 31. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                                      Hi Kat;

I gave up on version 9 re-installed version 8 this version works well the version 9 would not work on my XP system.

I found a version 8 at this web address.

Not sure why version 9 never would even load on my computer OS Windows XP pro Lots of hard drive room good video card and good processor but no luck and finally went back to version 8 and happy now that it is working again and opening pdf files.

I wonder why Adobe does not come up with some suggestions to help people use their version 9.

Louise
                                                                      • 32. Re: Acrobat Reader Version 9
                                                                        pwillener Level 8
                                                                        All previous versions of Adobe Reader can still be downloaded from the Adobe site; the latest version 8.x is here http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1.3/enu/AdbeRdr813_en_US.exe