5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2008 8:25 AM by MichaelKazlow

I/O Error

I received a pdf file as an email attachment. When I try to open it, I receive the following message: THERE WAS AN ERROR PROCESSINGA PAGE. A FILE I/O ERROR HAS OCCURED. I upgraded to Adobe Reader 9.0, and re-started, but still cannot open the file. Any ideas?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: I/O Error
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          The file was damaged in transit. Get a new copy of the file. If possible
          downloading it from the net is better than receiving it as an
          attachment. Adobe created acrobat.com which allows people to post pdf
          files for downloading elsewhere.

Mike
          • 2. Re: I/O Error
            pwillener Level 8
            Are you trying to directly open the attachment? If so, try to save it to your disk, then open it from there.
            • 3. Re: I/O Error
              Level 1
              Thank you, Mike!

I saved the attachment to my hard drive and then tried opening it with Adobe Reader 9, but I got the following message:

COULD NOT OPEN BECAUSE IT IS EITHER NOT A SUPPORTED FILE TYPE OR BECAUSE THE FILE HAS BEEN DAMAGED (FOR EXAMPLE, IT WAS SENT AS AN EMAIL ATTACHMENT AND WAS NOT CORRECTLY DECODED.)

Any clue as to what that means?

Thanks!
              • 4. Re: I/O Error
                Level 1
                Thanks, Pat!

Tried saving to hard drive. This is what happened:

Got the following message:

COULD NOT OPEN BECAUSE IT IS EITHER NOT A SUPPORTED FILE TYPE OR BECAUSE THE FILE HAS BEEN DAMAGED (FOR EXAMPLE, IT WAS SENT AS AN EMAIL ATTACHMENT AND WAS NOT CORRECTLY DECODED.)

So what's that all about??
                • 5. Re: I/O Error
                  MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                  The file is damaged. You need to get a new copy from the creator of the
                  pdf file.

Mike