6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2008 1:34 PM by (Paul_Brennan)

Adobe Reader 9 Editible Form Field Font Color

I seem to be having a problem (or what I believe to be a problem) with Adobe Reader 9 when filling out PDF editible forms. On screen I enter data into the editible field and the font color is black but when I print the form, the editible field data prints in green. I don't remember this being the case with prior versions of Reader so I'm wondering if this is new and is there a way to return the text printed text color to the correct font color? Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Editible Form Field Font Color
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Is this with all forms, or just certain ones? Can you link to an example?

George
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Editible Form Field Font Color
            Level 1
            George,

Thanks for the reply. Although I have a third party PDF Editing tool I have tried this with other PDF editable forms and they all seem to be exhibiting the same behavior. For example I went out on the internet tonight and found a UCSB Order Form on http://www.grafikart.com/order/ucsb.htm. When I open this form and type in text the displayed text is always black but when I print the form the entered text is always dark green. Note that I contacted my third party PDF editor tool about the problem they suggested that I run the unedited form thru their software and set all existing fields to be editable and then re-save the form after insuring that the text color for the editable fields was black. I did all that and again, the color of displayed text is still dark green. Note that when I'm talking about the text being green I want you to understand that the form itself prints in black text however any text that I enter into the form always prints dark green.
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Editible Form Field Font Color
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Very odd. What printer are you using? I'm thinking it may be a printer driver related issue.

George
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Editible Form Field Font Color
                Level 1
                George,

Thanks again for the reply. I'm using an HP Deskjet 952C printer and I have never used anything in it other than HP print cartridges. This printer is a bit older than most but is still supported although it has not had a driver change in some time. Note also that it does not exhibit any other "odd" printing characteristics when printing documents in other applications.

Note also that as an alternative test I downloaded the latest build of Free eXPert PDF Reader" from http://www.visagesoft.com/downloads/get.php/vspdfreader.exe and when I bring up my original PDF that I wrote about, the editable text I entered in printed in black.

So.It would appear that my problem is somehow related to Adobe Reader 9.x.

Not sure where I go from here.....
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Editible Form Field Font Color
                  Level 1
                  George and anyone else that might read this thread.....

I removed my copy of Reader 9.x this evening and back leveled my PC to version 8.1.3 of Reader which is the most up-to-date 8.x version available. After installation I brought up one of my editable forms, entered some data into the form fields and printed the report. As I suspected, the problem appears to be a bug in 9.x as the editable fields on the form printed in black instead of dark green. I've turned this in as a bug report but I'm not expecting too much as there really doesn't appear to be much support for their free product short of this forum. At least I have a good working copy of Reader on my PC.

If anyone else has seen this behavior and was able to somehow get the green text to print black, let me know as I'd sure like to know what you did to fix this issue.
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Reader 9 Editible Form Field Font Color
                    How do I copy graphs from Adobe Reader 9?