1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 10:35 AM by Webby Guy

search highlights from external highlight server

simonlester
      In Acrobat Reader 9, under Edit > Preferences > Search, the "Enable search highlights from external highlight server" option is by default set to false. For those of us who use third party search engines to search PDF files on the web, this is a disaster. The only way to enable hit highlighting in this situation is to have users change their settings manually, which is a lot to ask of people who are not tech savvy.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Would Adobe change the default settings to true in future versions? Is there some kind of workaround?

Thanks,

Simon
        • 1. Re: search highlights from external highlight server
          Webby Guy

Why did Adobe change the defaut? I am installing dtSearch and it works great in Adobe 8 and below. But Adobe changed version 9 changed and so now the hits do not show and the "Jump to next Hits" and "Jump to previous Hits" does not show on the Adobe toolbar.

My problem is that this makes dtSearch look bad - like their search page is no good.

If I create web pages using dtSearch, the users will not know enough to set the Enable search highlights from external highlight server.

Even if I put a big note on the web page, I know that people will not read it and they will think that the web page is buggy.

I sure wish Adobe would put this back and make Enable search highlights from external highlight server the default.