13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 12:22 AM by pwillener

Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...

[MS WinXP Home SP2; MS Office XP; OE 6; IE 6; Dell Dimension XPS T450MHz Pentium III; 385MB RAM; AVG Free Version 8.0.175 270.8.4/1754; spybot S&D; ad-aware; cable modem; WordPerfect8; Lexmark Laser printer "Optra E310"; Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 8; Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.00.000.]

Hello, I was happy viewing all videos, youtube, my pix, etc. with my Windows Media Player.. until I last consented to update (upgrade? don't know) either the Adobe Reader 8, or Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.00.000 offered in MY email (I didn't request either).

Since then I cannot view videos anymore. I don't like it. I get this message each time I try to view a video: "GET THE LATEST FLASH PLAYER". Is this yours too? And I don't see the videos!

Also, I don't know why I have the Adobe Photoshop too. Could THIS be the thing interfering with my viewing videos???

Thank you so much for any help. Adela

P.S. I noticed on Adobe's website an "Adobe Media Player"...Is it the same as the Windows Media Player that I have? Or did Adobe merge with Windows??? Confusion...onfusion...
        • 1. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
          pwillener Level 8
          What version of Flash Player do you have? The latest version is 10.0.12.37 - go here to see what version you have http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

Adobe Media Player is not the same as Windows Media Player.
          • 2. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
            I have exactly the same problem. Since last week I cannot play videos. I have tried uninstalling the Adobe Flash player using the special Uninstaller.exe. What is really odd is that I cannot load the new Flash player from the Adobe website - when I click "I Accept" it just reloads the same page.

I have checked my Javascripts are enabled in IE7 (Security is set to Medium/High)

THe only way I can re-install Flash is to run a Flash animation and then accept the Activex control - weird
            • 3. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
              pwillener Level 8
              This is an Adobe Reader forum; Flash Player problems are better posted in the Flash Player forum http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?catid=184&forumid=44
              • 4. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                Level 1
                Thank you so much Pat. My first question is: Do I need Adobe since I have Windows Media Player?

If I don't need it, then I shall simplify my life by uninstalling the Adobe to avoid duplication (and which I don't know how I got it!) :)

If I do need it, please tell me how Adobe is better than Windows Media Player so that I can then uninstall Windows Media Player?

According to Belarc, I have the following Adobe items:

Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Version 3.0.0.49815
                Adobe Reader Version 8.0.0.2006102300

As to Flash Player...I don't think I have it since Belarc didn't come up with.

If I must use Adobe instead of the Windows M.P., would you kindly let me know whether I need to also install Flash Player? And is it also free as are the two I have and mentioned above?

Please forgive the lengthy post, but I'm confused and thought breaking it down this way I could explain it better.

Thanks ever SO much for clarifying to me all of the above? :) Adela
                • 5. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                  pwillener Level 8
                  Adobe Flash Player (formerly Macromedia Flash Player) and Windows Media Player are different programs with different functions. If you want to play Youtube videos, you will need Adobe Flash Player. If you want to play downloadable videos such as MPEG files, you will need Windows Media Player. For other file formats you may need other players such as QuickTime or Real Player.

To see what version of Flash Player you have, click on this link http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

If you are offered Adobe Media Player on the above page; this is again a different program - don't install it unless you know that you need it for some reason.

P.S. If you don't need/use Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition, you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.
                  • 6. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                    Level 1
                    Dear Pat, please forgive my total ignorance about programs. I'm confused as to why when I had only my Windows Media Player with a plain Adobe I could watch all videos and such, and now suddenly I can't watch them unless I install the Adobe Flash Player and a number of other programs too???

I try to avoid using up so much more memory as programs take, as my computer is pretty old (though works well) and it doesn't have much capacity for installing more memory.

"If you want to play Youtube videos, you will need Adobe Flash Player."

If there's no other choice, I'll install Adobe Flash Player, but will this be sufficient to view videos/Youtube, etc. without having to install more programs?

"If you want to play downloadable videos such as MPEG files, you will need Windows Media Player."

Does "downloadable videos such as MPEG files," mean to copy a video to another place via downloading it? I wondered how to do that when sometimes people ask me to email them a video and didn't know I could use the Windows Media Player which I already have...

"For other file formats you may need other players such as QuickTime or Real Player."

Would you kindly tell me which are the "other file formats" and how can I tell if they are really necessary for me?

"To see what version of Flash Player you have, click on this link http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ "

I must not have it since each time I try to open a video or Youtube it doesnt let me view it and a flashing popup urges me to "GET THE LATEST FLASH PLAYER".

"P.S. If you don't need/use Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition, you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs."

Thank you for telling me, I've uninstalled it and am happy! :) Also thank you for alerting me to NOT install Adobe Media Player.

So far I haven't been able to open any of the videos, Youtube, etc. I receive, so will appreciate it so much if you and/or others could help me understand this, for which, my deepest thanks!! :) Adela
                    • 7. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                      pwillener Level 8
                      Hi Adela,

I understand your concern about not wanting to use up too much memory. Flash Player is a very small installation - it uses only about 3MB when installed on one browser only (e.g. Internet Explorer).

Flash Player will let you view videos on many web sites (YouTube, CNN, BBC, etc.), when these videos are prepared for Flash Player.

Windows Media Player is already installed on your computer, and it may even be difficult to uninstall it. WMP can play most file formats, so you will probably not need any other players.

I'd suggested that you install the latest version of Flash Player, and leave WMP installed as it is.

If you want to further discuss all these media player issues, I suggest that you go to a more general forum (e.g. http://forums.windowsforum.org/ ), as we are already quite off-topic in this Adobe Reader forum.
                      • 8. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                        Level 1
                        Thank you again for your suggestion Pat, I will install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, and since you say that together with my WMP, I will be able to view all videos, Youtube, etc. then I won't have to install any other programs.

I'm sorry I didn't realize my subject was expanding beyond this topic, and thank you for the link where I can find out more.

Thank you so much for all your help!!! :) Adela
                        • 9. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                          Level 1
                          Hello, I downloaded Adobe Flash Player and in this site: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/0/ it said that it was "successfully installed" (Version 10,0,12,36). Does this mean that I don't have to run it as I do with other downloads? Yet there were no icons on my desktop. Where should I look for them? Please help? Thanks very much! Adela

P.S. It made me install also Activex Control which I don't like to do...but anything for Adobe Flash Player so I can once and for all can view those videos, etc! lol!
                          • 10. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                            pwillener Level 8
                            Flash Player comes in two flavors: for Internet Explorer, and one for all other browsers.

The Internet Explorer version installs silently (as an ActivX Control), so if you only use IE, then you are done with.

If you are also using other browsers such as Firefox, then you will have to install it from there. This will cause a download that you have to execute. (That will install it for *all* other browsers like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, etc.)
                            • 11. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                              Level 1
                              Oh thank you Pat, then it's done. Great! Adela
                              • 12. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                                I am having problems opening some online units I need to study as part of a course I am completing. I ahve installed all the necessary software and uninstalled it and tried again but the units still won't open. Does anyone have any suggestions why this might be happening. I have contacted the relevant help desk but they don't know what to do. I am working on a new laptop with Windows XP. I can access the units on my work PC but don't really want to go into work at weekends to complete this course. Any suggestions would be helpful. I ahve turned off my pop up blocker so this is causing then units to not open.
                                I have run a diagnostic test as provided by my course provider but this says my computer is fine.

Thanks
                                Fran
                                • 13. Re: Since Adobe update...I can't see videos anymore...
                                  pwillener Level 8
                                  Please start a new topic with a new problem, and also give details what these 'units' are - PDF files? What version of Adobe Reader do you have installed?