9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 7:01 AM by Bernd Alheit

Printing bookmarks

Reader Version 8

I opened http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2410-W-SP-10.PDF, clicked on the bookmark for "3.1 Unit 1 ...", right clicked it and clicked "Print Page(s)". It printed the whole of Unit 3 - pages 6 to 11.

I wrote a set of instructions for students on how to access this document and print bits of it.

Now when I try to print a bookmarked section, it only prints the first page.

Any ideas why it worked the first time but not thereafter?

I found an article in the archive saying that it should not have been possible to print like this in the first place.

The help files suggest that I should be able to do so - see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Reader/8.0/help.html?content=WS42C7616C-A8BD-4192-B095-657271 A277ED.html.

Thanks

Ken Odam
        • 1. Re: Printing bookmarks
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          > The help files suggest that I should be able to do so - see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Reader/8.0/help.html?content=WS42C7616C-A8BD-4192-B095-657271 A277ED.html.

There I see this:

"If you print a parent bookmark, all page content associated with child-level bookmarks also print."

Did you select a parent bookmark?
          • 2. Re: Printing bookmarks
            Level 1
            Thanks for the suggestion. I've just tried that again.

If I select a "parent" bookmark (3 Subject content) I get only the first page of each of the "child" bookmarks - ie I get pages 5 (first of 3.1), 11 (first of 3.2) etc. This is not what the help file would suggest.

When I first tried to print like this, clicking bookmark 3.1 gave me all the pages 6 to 11. Clicking bookmark 3 gave me pages 5 to 45

This seemed to be a remarkably useful feature, which I discovered by accident - having right clicked instead of left clicked on a bookmark.

The only other way I can see of printing a section is to go to a bookmark; note the page number; go to the next bookmark; note the page number; print this range of pages (less 1).
            • 3. Re: Printing bookmarks
              You can bookmark the pages 6 to 11 as child of bookmark 3.1 .
              • 4. Re: Printing bookmarks
                Level 1
                It's not my document, so I can't modify it.

I didn't realise that bookmarks had to be set to specific ranges, I had assumed that would have been automatic when the document was created.

Maybe, since I first read it, the owners have changed the bookmarks so that they only relate to the first pages of the sections.

I had a look on their website for other PDFs, but I couldn't find any others with bookmarks in them.

I looked for any other PDFs with bookmarks and the first I found was http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs05/hors292.pdf. Here, I can print from the bookmarks, but the results are not consistent. Printing Section 2 gave me pages 13 to 18 as I expected, but it missed page 15.

Very few documents seem to have bookmarks in them. I suspect that this is a feature which authors either don't understand very well, or they don't check the results.

It looks as if it's a problem with this specific document, rather than my Reader. I'll e-mail the owners to see if they can help.

Is there any way of finding out which pages are refered to by a bookmark? Please bear in mind that I have Reader and don't own the documents.

Thanks
                • 5. Re: Printing bookmarks
                  > Is there any way of finding out which pages are refered to by a bookmark?

A bookmark can only refer one page.
                  • 6. Re: Printing bookmarks
                    Level 1
                    OK, to be more precise, how do I find out which pages are marked as 'children' of a specific bookmark?
                    • 7. Re: Printing bookmarks
                      Pages can't be marked as 'children' of a bookmark. A bookmark can have child bookmarks. This bookmarks can refer pages.
                      • 8. Re: Printing bookmarks
                        Level 1
                        Whatever the items are called, there is obviously a hierarchy below a bookmark which ends up with a page or set of pages. How do I find out which pages are in the set for any individual bookmark?
                        • 9. Re: Printing bookmarks
                          You must click on the individual bookmarks.