17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 7:20 PM by (R_Dean)

KB404307 Problems with Reader 8

My Adobe Reader won't uninstall or update.<br /><br />According to the Adobe site, the issue is this:-<br /><br />When you try to repair, update or uninstall affected versions of Acrobat or Adobe Reader, you get the error message, "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid."<br />Reason<br /><br />A problem in the Windows registry may be present if recent updates, "Acrobat 8.1 Japanese OCR Update" and/or "Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 Security Update 1 (kb403742)", have been applied to Adobe Acrobat 8 or Adobe Reader 8. Affected users will not be able upgrade to the latest version or uninstall the existing version while this problem persists. This problem does not affect the correct functioning of the installed application, and no other application is affected.<br /><br />"Acrobat 8.1 Japanese OCR Update" and "Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 Security Update 1 (kb403742)" register additional transforms on the system which may not be done properly in all cases. Systems with multiple transforms and systems set to register transforms in a secure location are affected.<br />Solution<br /><br />Run <kb404307.exe> on affected systems.<br /><br />Important: You should be logged in as an Adminstrator in order to use this tool.<br /><br />   1. Download the kb404307.exe utility from the Adobe website.<br />   2. Double-click kb404307.exe to run it.<br /><br />This utility won't run for the ENTIRELY UNTRUE reason that "Acrobat Transforms Update did not find valid installed Acrobat products or you do not have sufficient privileges to update registry."<br /><br />It is untrue because I have Reader 8.1.2 installed and I do have administrator privileges on my own laptop.<br /><br />Now I can not repair, update or uninstall Reader 8 nor install Reader 9.<br /><br />Please help!