5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 5:36 AM by CME101

Adobe Reader conflicts with Adobe Acrobat?

It looks like there are some conflicts between Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat:
      I just downloaded Adobe Reader 9 without problems but when running the downloaded file(.exe) the seup is interrupted before Adobe Reader 9 could be completelly installed. A message shows up saying: "Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\Adobe Reader 6.0.msi".
      In fact, I had Adobe Acrobat Pro 6.0 installed some timew ago, but it was properly uninstalled as I did everything possible to completelly uninstall it, inclusive runing Registry Clean.
      The same problem arises if I try do install a previous version of Adobe Reader (e.g. 8.0).
      Can anyone please help to solve this probem?
      Thank you.
      Henrique Silva
      Lisbon - Portugal
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader conflicts with Adobe Acrobat?
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >It looks like there are some conflicts between Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat:

Aaaand that's the reason they don't recommend or support having both installed.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader conflicts with Adobe Acrobat?
            MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            Use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool to remove all vestiges of
            Acrobat and Reader in your registry then install either Acrobat or Reader.

Mike
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader conflicts with Adobe Acrobat?
              CME101 Level 1

This is not a solution, it is a work-around for bad programming practices.

I recently had a problem with links from one document to another for literature on our website. The problem was with both Acrobat and Reader where if I did not check the Internet Prefference "Display PDF in browser", the pdf document would download into my "Tempoary Internet Files" folder. From there it expected to find and open the linked document. Our literature website downloads all literature from a common folder on the host.

This problem came up after upgrading (or is it downgrading?) from Windows XP to Windows 7. It was not a problem with Windows XP.

The fix for links was to check Internet Prefference "Display PDF in browser". Now the fix for error 1316 is to UNCHECK Internet Prefference "Display PDF in browser".

I want both Acrobat and Reader loaded in my system so I can TEST the form or any changes I make from Acrobat.

I am really frustrated by this, especially when I get calls from my customers who are accessing our literature online and having the same problems. What do I tell them? Contact Adobe? NOT GOOD ENOUGH. GIVE ME A REAL SOLUTION, GUYS!!!

FYI: Try using FireFox or Opera browser. You may have better results.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader conflicts with Adobe Acrobat?
                pwillener Level 8

This topic is three years old, and the situation with Acrobat X and Reader X has completely changed since then.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader conflicts with Adobe Acrobat?
                  CME101 Level 1

Maybe I should have created a new subject. What about my issue the links after upgrading from XP to Windows 7? This one is new.