7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2009 9:42 AM by (Nareshreddy_Kola)

Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox

mhaltom
      Greetings.
      I am a design creating a site for a client where we are using a PDF created in Acrobat to collect and submit user application data. We have used adobe acrobat professional to create fields for users to enter data (aka name, phone number) those types of things. We have a submit button that sends that information to a server.

Everything seemed to work ok in most web browsers, however in firefox it will not submit. When we first started working on it, we had to install a plugin just for the PDF to show up in the firefox Browsers. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

If you need a live example I can add that.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          I have no problems submitting PDF forms in Firefox, so the example might help.

George
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox
            mhaltom Level 1
            George. I tested some more and when I click to open the PDF in a new window on the in windows Vista, it asks to download it.

When tested on the mac, the form will not submit.

Here is the sample!!
            http://www.808bond.net/devsite/bailbonds.php
            *Go down and click on the button that says PDF Application. - this is a form that should open in a new window, allow users to fill out, click the submit button on the bottom and be redirected to a "thank you" page.

Thanks for your help!
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              It worked fine for me on Windows XP SP2, Acrobat 9 Pro, and Firefox 3.04. I can test with Windows Vista, Reader 9, and Firefox 3 tomorrow. Can't test on a Mac. You might want to recruit testers over on the Mac forum.

George
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox
                MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                The Reader and Firefox combination is not supported on the Mac.

Mike
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox
                  Ditto. I am also facing similar issue.

We too have used adobe acrobat professional to create fields for users to enter data (aka name, phone number). We have a submit button that sends that information to a server.

Everything works fine in Adobe 9 with Firefox but the problem is with Adobe Reader 8 and Firefox. The problem is:

When I reach the page, PDF is getting loaded properly and when i submit the PDF after filling details it will try to submit but ends with an error on status bar and blank page. error message is: "This document has been closed by Acrobat - press the refresh button to realod."

I badly need solution for this.... It would be great help if someone understand and answers my question.

If possible mail me your answer to: kola.nareshreddy@gmail.com

Thanks!
                  Naresh
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox
                    mhaltom Level 1
                    Naresh, I found that a perfect solution that works across all browsers is unlikely. The website we encountered this problem on was 808bond.net, we have the customer download forms to the browser and submit them. It does not usually work in Safari, it does work in firefox though. Perhaps have your firefox users install the PDF plugin if you have not.

Here are two links you may want to check out to see if it fixes your problem, then recommend it to your users if it does.

http://code.google.com/p/firefox-mac-pdf/
                    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Reader Vs. Firefox
                      Level 1
                      Hi Matt,

I have downloaded and installed "PDF Download 2.1.0.1" Firefox addon. But still i am unable to submit my PDF, getting the same error message saying "This document has been closed by Acrobat - press the refresh button to realod." in status bar.

Thing is, i am able to load my PDF with all fields through my application but unable to submit the PDF successfully.

Suggesstions?

Thanks very much for your quick reply and for assistance.

- Naresh