6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 3:25 PM by Ildhund

Reader rendering font incorrectly

Hi,

Printer : Xerox dcc2200
      RAM : 1 - 2 GB

At our company , we have 2 computers using Reader 8. We print documents to PDF using Acrobat Pro 7.0.

When viewing the pdf on one computer , it renders the
      b Arial Narrow
      in a funny font in the link below.

http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgz03082227px7.pdf

It comes with a few conditions
      b It happens intermittently
      b Sometimes you close and open the document , it fixes itself
      b Sometimes it shows fine onscreen, but prints in the funny font.

I also captured this rare screenshot of the doc being rendered in the funny font and the normal font as I scrolled down the page. ( see link below)

This is the original pdf culprit file ( it might show up fine/funny on your computer and print fine/funny)

http://www.badongo.com/file/12339777

Any help or direction will be appreciated.

Thank you

V
        • 1. Re: Reader rendering font incorrectly
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Doesn't happen on my machine (running Reader 9 or Acrobat Pro 8).

What happens if you embed the fonts in the PDF (none are embedded presently)?
          • 2. Re: Reader rendering font incorrectly
            Level 1
            Thanks Graffiti for your response.

Like I said, It doesnot happen on all machines and I don't see it happening on my machine either.

The testing machine does not Acrobat Pro, neither does mine.

The testing machine and my machine used to have Reader 8. We have now both upgraded to Reader 9. The tester hasn't reported any problems yet.

> What happens if you embed the fonts in the PDF

b That is not an option because our product also prints to a pdf file and we cannot embed fonts in that as we use a thrid party dll ( I mean to be honest we are using arial narrow. isn't that the most basic font?)

Thanks

Vinay
            • 3. Re: Reader rendering font incorrectly
              Ildhund Level 3
              > ( I mean to be honest we are using arial narrow. isn't that the
              > most basic font?)

Arial Narrow has been causing problems - particularly in Adobe
              apps - ever since Office 2007, Vista and XPSP3 were introduced,
              because Microsoft made a mistake in naming the fonts. They issued a
              hotfix, (see for example
              http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2008/09/arial_narrow.html . The
              hot fix itself is at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956514 )
              but unless the client machine has been patched, you'll see problems
              with that font. If you can't embed the fonts, pick something other
              than Arial Narrow. Incidentally, all those Arial variations in your
              doc were different from the ones on my machine, so it's not
              surprising that it reproduces badly on some machines.
              --
              Noel
              • 4. Re: Reader rendering font incorrectly
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                >Incidentally, all those Arial variations in your
                doc were different from the ones on my machine, so it's not
                surprising that it reproduces badly on some machines.

Yup. Even if you have two machines with Arial, they may not be the exact same Arial.
                • 5. Re: Reader rendering font incorrectly
                  Level 1
                  Thanks Guys for the valuable input.

> Arial Narrow has been causing problems - particularly in Adobe
                  apps - ever since Office 2007, Vista and XPSP3 were introduced,

b My computer has SP3 and it is the only one which doesnot have problems and I haven't received any hotfixes yet. ( How ironic)

> Incidentally, all those Arial variations in your
                  doc were different from the ones on my machine

How did you check this Noel?

Also graffiti and Noel,

b How do you explain the fact that the same doc when reopened again corrects itself or even that img I have attached of the pdf when I was scrolling through and shows me two diff fonts.

Thanks for your help

V
                  • 6. Re: Reader rendering font incorrectly
                    Ildhund Level 3
                    I'm not sure quite how the problem arose with XPSP3, but it probably
                    depended on which Office applications were installed at the time SP3
                    was applied. I can't remember the dodgy version number (it was
                    probably 2.35) and the solution was to replace any Arial fonts with
                    that version number, dated June 2006, I think, with version 2.30
                    dating from the last century. I don't know if Reader maintains lists
                    of fonts, but if it does, those lists should be deleted (they're
                    called adobefnt##.lst) and the machine rebooted.

If you look at Document > Properties > Fonts tab, you should see the
                    names of the fonts specified in the PDF and the 'actual' fonts used
                    to display the file if they're not embedded. The names are similar,
                    but not identical. It often doesn't matter that much, but it could
                    make a big difference in some circumstances.

I don't know why the file would display differently on the same
                    machine at different times. It sounds odd. In any case, the solution
                    is to embed the fonts you use. If the dll you're using can't do
                    that, find another that can!
                    --
                    Noel