4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2008 8:03 PM by (Julius_Sinlao)

how to extract files from Reader 8.1.3 executable

Bartleby the Scrivener
      I'm having trouble packaging Reader 8.1.3. First problem is that I can't get the files to extract using any commands listed for any of the previous versions.

Does someone know how to extract the files contained within AdbeRdr813_en_US.exe?
        • 1. Re: how to extract files from Reader 8.1.3 executable
          pwillener Level 8
          Download it directly from http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1.3/enu/AdbeRdr813_en_US.msi
          • 2. Re: how to extract files from Reader 8.1.3 executable
            Bartleby the Scrivener Level 1
            Thanks, Pat. This one is making me feel like I haven't learned anything yet about packaging. I've got the msi now, but I can't make it install quietly with the parameters I'd like it to have (accept the EULA, disable Beyond Acrobat, some other things).

I tried making a transform with the Customization Wizard 8, but that doesn't work. I've also tried installing from a command line, which works for an interactive install, but my goal is a quiet install with some parameters passed in.

Is there any documentation listing the parameters I can pass via a command line? I'm assuming that's the way I'll need to install, since the Customization Wizard doesn't appear to work with this version.

I've tried all the help commands I know, and I've tried searching online, but so far I haven't found anything useful.
            • 3. Re: how to extract files from Reader 8.1.3 executable
              Bartleby the Scrivener Level 1
              Okay, I take it all back. Finally stumbled across a method that worked for me:
              1. Downloaded the .msi
              2. Ran Customization Wizard 8.
              3. Went through all the screens and set the options to how I wanted Reader 8 to deploy. Got to the last screen ("Direct Editor", in the left pane of the Customization Wizard) and got an error that there was no setup.ini. Didn't see one in the files extracted from the .msi, so I grabbed the setup.ini from Reader 8.0.0, removed the Read-Only property, then edited the msi and CmdLine lines under the "[Product]" section with the names of my 8.1.3 msi and the name I would use for the transform.
              4. Saved the transform, closed out of the wizard.
              5. Ran the msi and transform from a command line:
              msiexec /i AdbeRdr813_en_US.msi TRANSFORMS=AdbeRdr813_en_US.mst /qn /L c:\813\Reader813.log

Install was successful and had all the parameters included that I'd specified in the Customization Wizard. Life is good.
              • 4. Re: how to extract files from Reader 8.1.3 executable
                Thanks to Adobe for making the MSI File available
                and also thanks to Raoul Duke for posting
                post #3.

It made my packaging task a lot easier in deploying Adobe
                Reader to our Enterprise.

Julius