15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 4:28 AM by FatihSoydan

PDF Open Parameters

Level 1
      ******BUG******
      Concise problem statement:
      PDF Open parameters for opening a pdf from command line works fine for the first time but not the second time. For e.g. when i try to open a pdf at page no 20, it works fine. But now when the file is already open and i give the same command to open it at page 10, the page neither doesn't change and neither the file opens second time. It will open only when reader is closed and then the command is given
      Steps to reproduce bug:
      1.Use pdf open parameters to open a pdf at page no 20 lets suppose.
      2.Dont close the pdf.
      3.Give the same command again to open it at page no 10.
      Results:
      The page no of opened pdf doesn't change. Also another instance of opening of file is also not created.
      Expected results:
      Either the page of the pdf file should change or separately another instance of file should be opened with these parameters.
        • 1. Re: PDF Open Parameters
          Level 1
          I have the same problem, is there a solution now ?
          • 2. Re: PDF Open Parameters
            Level 1
            Me, too!<br /><br />I used a URL similar to the following:<br /><br />  http://<my-server>/<my-file>.pdf#search=namespace<br /><br />and my Acrobat reader loaded up the file, opened the Search pane, and searched for the word "namespace."  Way cool!<br /><br />When I edited the URL, though, my IE browser started to reload the PDF file (no problem) and wedged about halfway through the download (big problem).  When I removed the PDF-open parameters from the URL (everything after the "#"), the download finished without a hitch.<br /><br />Since that first success, no PDF file downloads if I include any PDF-open parameters in my URL.  :-(
            • 3. Re: PDF Open Parameters
              Level 1
              I have now embedded the Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX in my VB.NET-Program as an extra Form - there are many methods and properties for the ActiveX and it works good. The only bad thing is, that there is no manual for these properties and methods, you have to try which parameters works.
              • 4. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                Level 1
                I better understand the problem I discussed earlier. I was entering my URL manually in IE's URL field. IE converted a space character in my search to "%20." The Acrobat plugin locked up during the download.

I then edited a web page to include URLs with PDF-open params. When I clicked on those URLs, they worked as advertised.

A "%" in the PDF-open parameters seems to lock up the Acrobat plugin tight. That character isn't mentioned in the PDF-open spec I have, but it is a bad thing.
                • 5. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                  Level 1
                  Does anyone know how to password protect a PDF doc?

Anne
                  • 6. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                    ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    > Does anyone know how to password protect a PDF doc?

Yes but you need Adobe Acrobat to do it. Not Reader.
                    • 7. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                      MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      Anne,

In the future please start a new thread. Do not hijack the thread of
                      others. The short answer is that it cannot be done in Reader. You need
                      the full commercial product (Acrobat Standard, Pro, Extended).

Mike
                      • 8. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                        (robertG35) Level 1
                        Does anyone have an answer to how to get Open Parameters to work at all??

documentation says to do 'this or that'. I do 'this and that' and still 'this' does not work.
                        • 9. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                          Level 1
                          I've a question, is it possible to open the pdf with the cropbox (trimbox, bleedbox etc.) on, so that a user immediately will see the trimbox?
                          • 10. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                            Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            > Does anyone have an answer to how to get Open Parameters to work at all??

What did you use?
                            • 11. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              > I've a question, is it possible to open the pdf with the cropbox (trimbox, bleedbox etc.) on, so that a user immediately will see the trimbox?

You can't control the preferences of user's Reader.
                              • 12. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                                Level 1
                                We are also using the 'search=' open parameter in the URL string, and it works great for whole word searches. Unfortunately, it does not work for partial word, or phrases. In other words, if I'm searching on '123456' and there is a word in the document that is '1234567', it will not find the partial, or first 6 characters of the 7 character word. You can perform a partial or phrased search using the advance search feature of Adobe Reader. Is there any way to specify to use a whole or partial word search when using the 'search=' open parameter?
                                • 13. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                                  vasco_silva Level 1

>I have now embedded the Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX in my VB.NET-Program as an extra Form - there are many methods and properties for the ActiveX and it works good. The only bad thing is, that there is no manual for these properties and methods, you have to try which parameters works.

Are you talking about the axAcroPDF control? I can go to a determined page with .setCurrentPage(int) but i can't search text. Do you know how to do it?

• 14. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                                    vasco_silva Level 1

>We are also using the 'search=' open parameter in the URL string, and it works great for whole word searches. Unfortunately, it does not work for partial word, or phrases. In other words, if I'm searching on '123456' and there is a word in the document that is '1234567', it will not find the partial, or first 6 characters of the 7 character word. You can perform a partial or phrased search using the advance search feature of Adobe Reader. Is there any way to specify to use a whole or partial word search when using the 'search=' open parameter?

Did you ever find how to do it? I need it too. I would like to open the file in a determined page with search simultaneously and the search should be for exact phrases or not.

• 15. Re: PDF Open Parameters
                                      FatihSoydan Level 1

I am needing that, too.

For Example : I want to find vodaf* in my document, but i couldn't find "vodafone" when i use that #search="vodaf"