4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2009 11:37 PM by pwillener

File is damaged and can't be repaired error

Level 1
      I was at the IRS forms page, downloaded and printed some forms, but when I tried to download and print the instruction and tax chart pages, I began getting 'file is damaged and can't be repaired' error. I upgraded my free Reader to version 9, rebooted the computer, and tried again with the same results. I also deleted my internet (Windows XP) history and temp files (but not the cookies), and that didn't help either. I contacted live help from IRS but agent said he was having no problem getting the files to show up so it's something to do with my system. I tried downloading the files to my computer, but again when I tried to open them, got the same error. What could be wrong?

I did have a window pop up from Adobe during the last print out stating that that page was not going to display properly, but in fact it did, and the very next .pdf file and every one since then has now given an error message so I'm unable to get any more of the .pdf files I need.

Any suggestions or help will be much appreciated...

AJH
        • 1. Re: File is damaged and can't be repaired error
          Level 1
          I think I resolved the problem....I had version 5 installed prior to getting the update of version 9 without realizing that both being installed at the same time would interfere with each other. I had assumed the new version would 'overwrite' the old one. I uninstalled everything (both versions) and saw that version 9 indicated AIR in the Add-Remove Programs list. When I rebooted after uninstalling both, I opened the folder on my desktop that version 9 put in there, opened another folder called 'Reader' and installed ONLY the version 9 which now shows in Add-Remove Programs as Adobe Reader 9 instead of AIR and rebooted again. Went back to the IRS site, and am now printing just fine the documents I needed.

I am going to assume that the older version 5 was not able to view and print some of the documents there since the IRS site probably uses updated versions and that it was the source of my problem since even with the newer version 9, I was experiencing the same problem, and not the AIR file I noticed in Add-Remove Programs.

Although no one was responding to me (not your fault since it was only a short time ago that I posted this problem), I am posting my results so anyone else with this problem will know how I resolved it.

AJH
          • 2. Re: File is damaged and can't be repaired error
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Thanks for posting your fix.
            • 3. Re: File is damaged and can't be repaired error
              michael.varnell Level 2
              Yes, thank you for posting the resolution to your issue. Multiple versions of the same product cause issues such as this and worse. Sometimes other seemingly unrelated products can be affected as well.

Sun Java is another software product bad about accumulating numerous versions of the same product. At least Adobe got a clue around version 6 so the installer will uninstall previous versions (6 and above). Version 5 or below and you must uninstall manually. I recommend uninstall anything you need to first prior to any software upgrade/update.

MTV
              • 4. Re: File is damaged and can't be repaired error
                pwillener Level 8
                > Sun Java is another software product bad about accumulating numerous versions of the same product.

Since Java 1.6 Update 10, the update(s) are now in-place.