15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2008 5:12 AM by Newsgroup_User

Div question

Level 7
      Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have a site
      I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each other. In
      the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text to change on each
      page, and on the right a third column for additional links..

In the first column, I have set the background image to match the image in
      the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be as long as the
      menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when the text goes past
      the height of the menu.

If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.

So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?

Thanks
      gary

• 1. Re: Div question
          Level 7
          > Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another?

One static div inside another will always cause the outer div to expand
          vertically (assuming no overflow styles).

> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?

In this case, no. Google "faux columns" for a solution.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
          news:g98tkm$n78$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have a
          > site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each other.
          > In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text to change on
          > each page, and on the right a third column for additional links..
          >
          > In the first column, I have set the background image to match the image in
          > the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be as long as
          > the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when the text goes
          > past the height of the menu.
          >
          > If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
          >
          >
          > Thanks
          > gary
          >

• 2. Re: Div question
            Level 7
            Hi Gary,

It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either by
            using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a combination
            of using the equal height script by PV11 and image backgrounds.

http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm

Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?

have you googled 'Faux Columns'?

Gary wrote:
            > Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have a site
            > I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each other. In
            > the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text to change on each
            > page, and on the right a third column for additional links..
            >
            > In the first column, I have set the background image to match the image in
            > the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be as long as the
            > menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when the text goes past
            > the height of the menu.
            >
            > If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
            >
            >
            > Thanks
            > gary
            >
            >
            • 3. Re: Div question
              Level 7
              I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to load on
              IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some things about it.

I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to play
              nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I can get two to
              sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an issue I want to solve
              but it is not critical for this site.

What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
              rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill the rest
              with graphics..

But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.

Gary

"Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
              news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi Gary,
              >
              > It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either by
              > using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a combination of
              > using the equal height script by PV11 and image backgrounds.
              >
              > http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
              >
              > Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
              >
              > have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > Gary wrote:
              >> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have a
              >> site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each
              >> other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text to
              >> change on each page, and on the right a third column for additional
              >> links..
              >>
              >> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the image
              >> in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be as long
              >> as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when the text
              >> goes past the height of the menu.
              >>
              >> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
              >>
              >> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >> gary

• 4. Re: Div question
                Level 7
                I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all stay on
                the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their aggregate widths
                (remember the box model) is wider than their container.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to load
                >on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some things about
                >it.
                >
                > I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to play
                > nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I can get two
                > to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an issue I want to
                > solve but it is not critical for this site.
                >
                > What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                > rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill the
                > rest with graphics..
                >
                > But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.
                >
                > Gary
                >
                >
                > "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                > news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> Hi Gary,
                >>
                >> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either by
                >> using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a combination
                >> of using the equal height script by PV11 and image backgrounds.
                >>
                >> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                >>
                >> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                >>
                >> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                >>
                >>
                >>
                >>
                >>
                >> Gary wrote:
                >>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have a
                >>> site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each
                >>> other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text to
                >>> change on each page, and on the right a third column for additional
                >>> links..
                >>>
                >>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the image
                >>> in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be as long
                >>> as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when the text
                >>> goes past the height of the menu.
                >>>
                >>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                >>>
                >>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                >>>
                >>> Thanks
                >>> gary
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Div question
                  Level 7
                  Murray

That was my first thought, but I made a wrapping div to 800, the total of
                  the 3 divs was under that, I had the first div flaoting left, same with the
                  second and the third was always lower.

I think I told you I recently started using divs at viriginia's suggestion,
                  plus I read they load faster, so I am still very much a novice with them. I
                  also have been mitrating from design view to code view, but having grown up
                  on using design, its a slow prcess., however one I want to accomplish.

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                  news:g98vi9$p8g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all stay on
                  >the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their aggregate widths
                  >(remember the box model) is wider than their container.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  > Adobe Community Expert
                  > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  > ==================
                  > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > ==================
                  >
                  >
                  > "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                  > news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to load
                  >>on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some things
                  >>about it.
                  >>
                  >> I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to play
                  >> nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I can get two
                  >> to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an issue I want to
                  >> solve but it is not critical for this site.
                  >>
                  >> What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                  >> rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill the
                  >> rest with graphics..
                  >>
                  >> But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.
                  >>
                  >> Gary
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                  >> news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>> Hi Gary,
                  >>>
                  >>> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either by
                  >>> using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a combination
                  >>> of using the equal height script by PV11 and image backgrounds.
                  >>>
                  >>> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                  >>>
                  >>> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                  >>>
                  >>> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>> Gary wrote:
                  >>>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have a
                  >>>> site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each
                  >>>> other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text to
                  >>>> change on each page, and on the right a third column for additional
                  >>>> links..
                  >>>>
                  >>>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the image
                  >>>> in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be as long
                  >>>> as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when the text
                  >>>> goes past the height of the menu.
                  >>>>
                  >>>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                  >>>>
                  >>>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                  >>>>
                  >>>> Thanks
                  >>>> gary
                  >>
                  >>
                  >

• 6. Re: Div question
                    Level 7
                    Gary wrote:
                    > Murray
                    >
                    > That was my first thought, but I made a wrapping div to 800, the total of
                    > the 3 divs was under that, I had the first div flaoting left, same with the
                    > second and the third was always lower.

When you say lower do you mean it is placed directly under the first
                    <div> or just not aligned to the top of the other two <divs>?

>
                    > I think I told you I recently started using divs at viriginia's suggestion,
                    > plus I read they load faster, so I am still very much a novice with them. I
                    > also have been mitrating from design view to code view, but having grown up
                    > on using design, its a slow prcess., however one I want to accomplish.
                    >
                    >
                    > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                    > news:g98vi9$p8g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all stay on
                    >> the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their aggregate widths
                    >> (remember the box model) is wider than their container.
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    >> Adobe Community Expert
                    >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    >> ==================
                    >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    >> ==================
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                    >> news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>> I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to load
                    >>> on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some things
                    >>> about it.
                    >>>
                    >>> I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to play
                    >>> nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I can get two
                    >>> to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an issue I want to
                    >>> solve but it is not critical for this site.
                    >>>
                    >>> What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                    >>> rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill the
                    >>> rest with graphics..
                    >>>
                    >>> But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.
                    >>>
                    >>> Gary
                    >>>
                    >>>
                    >>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                    >>> news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>>> Hi Gary,
                    >>>>
                    >>>> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either by
                    >>>> using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a combination
                    >>>> of using the equal height script by PV11 and image backgrounds.
                    >>>>
                    >>>> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                    >>>>
                    >>>> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                    >>>>
                    >>>> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                    >>>>
                    >>>>
                    >>>>
                    >>>>
                    >>>>
                    >>>> Gary wrote:
                    >>>>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have a
                    >>>>> site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each
                    >>>>> other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text to
                    >>>>> change on each page, and on the right a third column for additional
                    >>>>> links..
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the image
                    >>>>> in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be as long
                    >>>>> as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when the text
                    >>>>> goes past the height of the menu.
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                    >>>>>
                    >>>>> Thanks
                    >>>>> gary
                    >>>
                    >
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Div question
                      Level 7
                      No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                      exactly at the bottom of the middle div

"Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                      news:g992l2$sbj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Gary wrote:
                      >> Murray
                      >>
                      >> That was my first thought, but I made a wrapping div to 800, the total of
                      >> the 3 divs was under that, I had the first div flaoting left, same with
                      >> the second and the third was always lower.
                      >
                      > When you say lower do you mean it is placed directly under the first <div>
                      > or just not aligned to the top of the other two <divs>?
                      >
                      >>
                      >> I think I told you I recently started using divs at viriginia's
                      >> suggestion, plus I read they load faster, so I am still very much a
                      >> novice with them. I also have been mitrating from design view to code
                      >> view, but having grown up on using design, its a slow prcess., however
                      >> one I want to accomplish.
                      >>
                      >>
                      >> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                      >> news:g98vi9$p8g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>> I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all stay
                      >>> on the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their aggregate
                      >>> widths (remember the box model) is wider than their container.
                      >>>
                      >>> --
                      >>> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      >>> Adobe Community Expert
                      >>> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      >>> ==================
                      >>> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      >>> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      >>> ==================
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>> "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                      >>> news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>>> I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to
                      >>>> load on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some
                      >>>> things about it.
                      >>>>
                      >>>> I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to
                      >>>> play nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I can
                      >>>> get two to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an issue I
                      >>>> want to solve but it is not critical for this site.
                      >>>>
                      >>>> What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                      >>>> rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill the
                      >>>> rest with graphics..
                      >>>>
                      >>>> But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.
                      >>>>
                      >>>> Gary
                      >>>>
                      >>>>
                      >>>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                      >>>> news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>>>> Hi Gary,
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either
                      >>>>> by using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a
                      >>>>> combination of using the equal height script by PV11 and image
                      >>>>> backgrounds.
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> Gary wrote:
                      >>>>>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I have
                      >>>>>> a site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next to each
                      >>>>>> other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body of text
                      >>>>>> to change on each page, and on the right a third column for
                      >>>>>> additional links..
                      >>>>>>
                      >>>>>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the
                      >>>>>> image in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only be
                      >>>>>> as long as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer when
                      >>>>>> the text goes past the height of the menu.
                      >>>>>>
                      >>>>>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                      >>>>>>
                      >>>>>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                      >>>>>>
                      >>>>>> Thanks
                      >>>>>> gary
                      >>>>
                      >>

• 8. Re: Div question
                        Level 7
                        How about we see your code?

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

news:g994a9$ui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                        > exactly at the bottom of the middle div
                        >
                        >
                        > "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                        > news:g992l2$sbj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >> Gary wrote:
                        >>> Murray
                        >>>
                        >>> That was my first thought, but I made a wrapping div to 800, the total
                        >>> of the 3 divs was under that, I had the first div flaoting left, same
                        >>> with the second and the third was always lower.
                        >>
                        >> When you say lower do you mean it is placed directly under the first
                        >> <div> or just not aligned to the top of the other two <divs>?
                        >>
                        >>>
                        >>> I think I told you I recently started using divs at viriginia's
                        >>> suggestion, plus I read they load faster, so I am still very much a
                        >>> novice with them. I also have been mitrating from design view to code
                        >>> view, but having grown up on using design, its a slow prcess., however
                        >>> one I want to accomplish.
                        >>>
                        >>>
                        >>> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                        >>> news:g98vi9$p8g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >>>> I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all stay
                        >>>> on the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their aggregate
                        >>>> widths (remember the box model) is wider than their container.
                        >>>>
                        >>>> --
                        >>>> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        >>>> Adobe Community Expert
                        >>>> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        >>>> ==================
                        >>>> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        >>>> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        >>>> ==================
                        >>>>
                        >>>>
                        >>>> "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                        >>>> news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >>>>> I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to
                        >>>>> load on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some
                        >>>>> things about it.
                        >>>>>
                        >>>>> I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to
                        >>>>> play nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I can
                        >>>>> get two to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an issue
                        >>>>> I want to solve but it is not critical for this site.
                        >>>>>
                        >>>>> What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                        >>>>> rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill the
                        >>>>> rest with graphics..
                        >>>>>
                        >>>>> But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.
                        >>>>>
                        >>>>> Gary
                        >>>>>
                        >>>>>
                        >>>>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                        >>>>> news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >>>>>> Hi Gary,
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either
                        >>>>>> by using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a
                        >>>>>> combination of using the equal height script by PV11 and image
                        >>>>>> backgrounds.
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>>
                        >>>>>> Gary wrote:
                        >>>>>>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I
                        >>>>>>> have a site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next
                        >>>>>>> to each other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the body
                        >>>>>>> of text to change on each page, and on the right a third column for
                        >>>>>>> additional links..
                        >>>>>>>
                        >>>>>>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the
                        >>>>>>> image in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only
                        >>>>>>> be as long as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer
                        >>>>>>> when the text goes past the height of the menu.
                        >>>>>>>
                        >>>>>>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                        >>>>>>>
                        >>>>>>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                        >>>>>>>
                        >>>>>>> Thanks
                        >>>>>>> gary
                        >>>>>
                        >>>
                        >

• 9. Re: Div question
                          Level 7
                          Actually, the code is gone, I went the way of the div nested in a table
                          yesterday...got tired of fighting..

But next one I build I'll post it.

As always I appriciate you input.

gary

news:g994f3$164$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > How about we see your code?
                          >
                          > --
                          > Adobe Community Expert
                          > ==================
                          > ==================
                          >
                          >
                          > news:g994a9$ui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                          >> exactly at the bottom of the middle div
                          >>
                          >>
                          >> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                          >> news:g992l2$sbj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >>> Gary wrote:
                          >>>> Murray
                          >>>>
                          >>>> That was my first thought, but I made a wrapping div to 800, the total
                          >>>> of the 3 divs was under that, I had the first div flaoting left, same
                          >>>> with the second and the third was always lower.
                          >>>
                          >>> When you say lower do you mean it is placed directly under the first
                          >>> <div> or just not aligned to the top of the other two <divs>?
                          >>>
                          >>>>
                          >>>> I think I told you I recently started using divs at viriginia's
                          >>>> suggestion, plus I read they load faster, so I am still very much a
                          >>>> novice with them. I also have been mitrating from design view to code
                          >>>> view, but having grown up on using design, its a slow prcess., however
                          >>>> one I want to accomplish.
                          >>>>
                          >>>>
                          >>>> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                          >>>> news:g98vi9$p8g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >>>>> I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all
                          >>>>> stay on the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their
                          >>>>> aggregate widths (remember the box model) is wider than their
                          >>>>> container.
                          >>>>>
                          >>>>> --
                          >>>>> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          >>>>> Adobe Community Expert
                          >>>>> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                          >>>>> ==================
                          >>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          >>>>> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          >>>>> ==================
                          >>>>>
                          >>>>>
                          >>>>> "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                          >>>>> news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >>>>>> I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to
                          >>>>>> load on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some
                          >>>>>> things about it.
                          >>>>>>
                          >>>>>> I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to
                          >>>>>> play nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I
                          >>>>>> can get two to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an
                          >>>>>> issue I want to solve but it is not critical for this site.
                          >>>>>>
                          >>>>>> What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                          >>>>>> rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill
                          >>>>>> the rest with graphics..
                          >>>>>>
                          >>>>>> But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.
                          >>>>>>
                          >>>>>> Gary
                          >>>>>>
                          >>>>>>
                          >>>>>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                          >>>>>> news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >>>>>>> Hi Gary,
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this either
                          >>>>>>> by using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or a
                          >>>>>>> combination of using the equal height script by PV11 and image
                          >>>>>>> backgrounds.
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>> Gary wrote:
                          >>>>>>>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I
                          >>>>>>>> have a site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next
                          >>>>>>>> to each other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the
                          >>>>>>>> body of text to change on each page, and on the right a third
                          >>>>>>>> column for additional links..
                          >>>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the
                          >>>>>>>> image in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only
                          >>>>>>>> be as long as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be longer
                          >>>>>>>> when the text goes past the height of the menu.
                          >>>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                          >>>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                          >>>>>>>>
                          >>>>>>>> Thanks
                          >>>>>>>> gary
                          >>>>>>
                          >>>>
                          >>
                          >

• 10. Re: Div question
                            Level 7
                            Gary wrote:
                            > Actually, the code is gone, I went the way of the div nested in a table
                            > yesterday...got tired of fighting..
                            >
                            > But next one I build I'll post it.
                            >
                            > As always I appriciate you input.

Sounds like you to need read up on clearing floats. Once you have got
                            your head around them you will be on the road to success.

Steve
                            • 11. Re: Div question
                              Level 7
                              Good luck! Let's see this Frankenstein you have created! 8)

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

news:g9956m$1tp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Actually, the code is gone, I went the way of the div nested in a table
                              > yesterday...got tired of fighting..
                              >
                              > But next one I build I'll post it.
                              >
                              > As always I appriciate you input.
                              >
                              > gary
                              >
                              >
                              > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                              > news:g994f3$164$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >> How about we see your code?
                              >>
                              >> --
                              >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              >> Adobe Community Expert
                              >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                              >> ==================
                              >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              >> ==================
                              >>
                              >>
                              >> news:g994a9$ui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>> No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                              >>> exactly at the bottom of the middle div
                              >>>
                              >>>
                              >>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                              >>> news:g992l2$sbj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>>> Gary wrote:
                              >>>>> Murray
                              >>>>>
                              >>>>> That was my first thought, but I made a wrapping div to 800, the total
                              >>>>> of the 3 divs was under that, I had the first div flaoting left, same
                              >>>>> with the second and the third was always lower.
                              >>>>
                              >>>> When you say lower do you mean it is placed directly under the first
                              >>>> <div> or just not aligned to the top of the other two <divs>?
                              >>>>
                              >>>>>
                              >>>>> I think I told you I recently started using divs at viriginia's
                              >>>>> suggestion, plus I read they load faster, so I am still very much a
                              >>>>> novice with them. I also have been mitrating from design view to code
                              >>>>> view, but having grown up on using design, its a slow prcess., however
                              >>>>> one I want to accomplish.
                              >>>>>
                              >>>>>
                              >>>>> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                              >>>>> news:g98vi9$p8g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>>>>> I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all
                              >>>>>> stay on the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their
                              >>>>>> aggregate widths (remember the box model) is wider than their
                              >>>>>> container.
                              >>>>>>
                              >>>>>> --
                              >>>>>> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              >>>>>> Adobe Community Expert
                              >>>>>> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                              >>>>>> ==================
                              >>>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              >>>>>> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                              >>>>>> ==================
                              >>>>>>
                              >>>>>>
                              >>>>>> "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                              >>>>>> news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>>>>>> I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses to
                              >>>>>>> load on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read some
                              >>>>>>> things about it.
                              >>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>> I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to
                              >>>>>>> play nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I
                              >>>>>>> can get two to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an
                              >>>>>>> issue I want to solve but it is not critical for this site.
                              >>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>> What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                              >>>>>>> rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill
                              >>>>>>> the rest with graphics..
                              >>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>> But I still like to think of every problem as a learning expereince.
                              >>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>> Gary
                              >>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                              >>>>>>> news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >>>>>>>> Hi Gary,
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this
                              >>>>>>>> either by using a repeating background image in all three <divs> or
                              >>>>>>>> a combination of using the equal height script by PV11 and image
                              >>>>>>>> backgrounds.
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>> Gary wrote:
                              >>>>>>>>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I
                              >>>>>>>>> have a site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table next
                              >>>>>>>>> to each other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is the
                              >>>>>>>>> body of text to change on each page, and on the right a third
                              >>>>>>>>> column for additional links..
                              >>>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the
                              >>>>>>>>> image in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will only
                              >>>>>>>>> be as long as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be
                              >>>>>>>>> longer when the text goes past the height of the menu.
                              >>>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                              >>>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                              >>>>>>>>>
                              >>>>>>>>> Thanks
                              >>>>>>>>> gary
                              >>>>>>>
                              >>>>>
                              >>>
                              >>
                              >
                              >

• 12. Re: Div question
                                Level 7
                                Well when the next lightning storm comes by and I plug it in, I'll drop you
                                a note..

news:g995n8$2g3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Good luck! Let's see this Frankenstein you have created! 8)
                                >
                                > --
                                > Adobe Community Expert
                                > ==================
                                > ==================
                                >
                                >
                                > news:g9956m$1tp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >> Actually, the code is gone, I went the way of the div nested in a table
                                >> yesterday...got tired of fighting..
                                >>
                                >> But next one I build I'll post it.
                                >>
                                >> As always I appriciate you input.
                                >>
                                >> gary
                                >>
                                >>
                                >> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                >> news:g994f3$164$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>> How about we see your code?
                                >>>
                                >>> --
                                >>> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                >>> Adobe Community Expert
                                >>> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                >>> ==================
                                >>> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                >>> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                >>> ==================
                                >>>
                                >>>
                                >>> "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                                >>> news:g994a9$ui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>> No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                                >>>> exactly at the bottom of the middle div
                                >>>>
                                >>>>
                                >>>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                                >>>> news:g992l2$sbj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>>> Gary wrote:
                                >>>>>> Murray
                                >>>>>>
                                >>>>>> That was my first thought, but I made a wrapping div to 800, the
                                >>>>>> total of the 3 divs was under that, I had the first div flaoting
                                >>>>>> left, same with the second and the third was always lower.
                                >>>>>
                                >>>>> When you say lower do you mean it is placed directly under the first
                                >>>>> <div> or just not aligned to the top of the other two <divs>?
                                >>>>>
                                >>>>>>
                                >>>>>> I think I told you I recently started using divs at viriginia's
                                >>>>>> suggestion, plus I read they load faster, so I am still very much a
                                >>>>>> novice with them. I also have been mitrating from design view to
                                >>>>>> code view, but having grown up on using design, its a slow prcess.,
                                >>>>>> however one I want to accomplish.
                                >>>>>>
                                >>>>>>
                                >>>>>> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                >>>>>> news:g98vi9$p8g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>>>>> I assume you are floating the divs - if you cannot get them to all
                                >>>>>>> stay on the same horizontal line, it's almost surely because their
                                >>>>>>> aggregate widths (remember the box model) is wider than their
                                >>>>>>> container.
                                >>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>> --
                                >>>>>>> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                >>>>>>> Adobe Community Expert
                                >>>>>>> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                >>>>>>> ==================
                                >>>>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                >>>>>>> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                >>>>>>> ==================
                                >>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>> "Gary" <garywpaul@aol.com> wrote in message
                                >>>>>>> news:g98urq$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>>>>>> I did just yahoo faux columns (for whatever reason google refuses
                                >>>>>>>> to load on IE...but thats a question for another board), and read
                                >>>>>>>> some things about it.
                                >>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>> I am putting the divs in a table because I cant seem to get them to
                                >>>>>>>> play nice any other way.. if I try to put them in a wraping div, I
                                >>>>>>>> can get two to sit together, but the third refuses to join.. Its an
                                >>>>>>>> issue I want to solve but it is not critical for this site.
                                >>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>> What I will probably end up doing is setting the height to a almost
                                >>>>>>>> rediculaus (oh come on...its a hard word to spell) height and fill
                                >>>>>>>> the rest with graphics..
                                >>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>> But I still like to think of every problem as a learning
                                >>>>>>>> expereince.
                                >>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>> Gary
                                >>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>> "Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                                >>>>>>>> news:g98u4e$nns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>>>>>>> Hi Gary,
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>> It can be a bit tricky but you could possibly accomplish this
                                >>>>>>>>> either by using a repeating background image in all three <divs>
                                >>>>>>>>> or a combination of using the equal height script by PV11 and
                                >>>>>>>>> image backgrounds.
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>> http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>> Why are you putting your <divs> in a table?
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>> have you googled 'Faux Columns'?
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>> Gary wrote:
                                >>>>>>>>>> Is there a way to link the height of div tags to one another? I
                                >>>>>>>>>> have a site I am working on, I have put 3 div tags in a table
                                >>>>>>>>>> next to each other. In the first I have P7 menu, the second is
                                >>>>>>>>>> the body of text to change on each page, and on the right a third
                                >>>>>>>>>> column for additional links..
                                >>>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>> In the first column, I have set the background image to match the
                                >>>>>>>>>> image in the P7 menu. If I set the height to "auto", it will
                                >>>>>>>>>> only be as long as the menu and corresponding "body" divs will be
                                >>>>>>>>>> longer when the text goes past the height of the menu.
                                >>>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>> If I set a fixed height, I then limit my space for text.
                                >>>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>> So is there a way to match heights automatically of the 3 divs?
                                >>>>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>>>>> Thanks
                                >>>>>>>>>> gary
                                >>>>>>>>
                                >>>>>>
                                >>>>
                                >>>
                                >>
                                >>
                                >

• 13. Re: Div question
                                  Level 7
                                  news:g994a9$ui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                                  > exactly at the bottom of the middle div

And it was like that in all browsers or only in IE?
                                  Because if it is the latter it could have been a simple margin issue
                                  (sometimes IE doubles margin on floats) or due to the content of the DIVs.
                                  Next time you give this DIV layout a shot, make sure to use
                                  "display:inline;" on DIVs that are floated *and* have a margin too (both in
                                  the same direction).
                                  If this still doesn't fix your problem, use "overflow:hidden;" on the DIVs
                                  to find out if the problem does not come from a nested element.

--
                                  Thierry
                                  Articles and Tutorials: http://www.TJKDesign.com/go/?0
                                  --
                                  http://developer.yahoo.com/ helps you build applications and mashups

• 14. Re: Div question
                                    Level 7
                                    Actually It never made it to a browser, it was in design view that it would
                                    not work, so I scrapped it. Now I may have previewed it, not sure I dont
                                    recall, but it makes me nervous to base a design that looks out of whack in
                                    design veiw.

But next time I will watch out for your point...

Thanks much

Gary
                                    "Thierry" <thierry@invalid.com> wrote in message
                                    news:g9ag23$fnc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > news:g994a9$ui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    >> No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                                    >> exactly at the bottom of the middle div
                                    >
                                    > And it was like that in all browsers or only in IE?
                                    > Because if it is the latter it could have been a simple margin issue
                                    > (sometimes IE doubles margin on floats) or due to the content of the DIVs.
                                    > Next time you give this DIV layout a shot, make sure to use
                                    > "display:inline;" on DIVs that are floated *and* have a margin too (both
                                    > in the same direction).
                                    > If this still doesn't fix your problem, use "overflow:hidden;" on the DIVs
                                    > to find out if the problem does not come from a nested element.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Thierry
                                    > Articles and Tutorials: http://www.TJKDesign.com/go/?0
                                    > --
                                    > http://developer.yahoo.com/ helps you build applications and mashups

• 15. Re: Div question
                                      Level 7
                                      > Actually It never made it to a browser, it was in design view that it
                                      > would not work, so I scrapped it. Now I may have previewed it, not sure I
                                      > dont recall, but it makes me nervous to base a design that looks out of
                                      > whack in design veiw.

Preview before making this decision. Even CS4's Design view is not perfect,
                                      and CS3's is not as good as CS4.

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

"GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                                      news:g9basi$dug$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Actually It never made it to a browser, it was in design view that it
                                      > would not work, so I scrapped it. Now I may have previewed it, not sure I
                                      > dont recall, but it makes me nervous to base a design that looks out of
                                      > whack in design veiw.
                                      >
                                      > But next time I will watch out for your point...
                                      >
                                      > Thanks much
                                      >
                                      > Gary
                                      > "Thierry" <thierry@invalid.com> wrote in message
                                      > news:g9ag23$fnc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >> news:g994a9$ui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >>> No, it is over to the right (float right) and down, almost (or perhaps)
                                      >>> exactly at the bottom of the middle div
                                      >>
                                      >> And it was like that in all browsers or only in IE?
                                      >> Because if it is the latter it could have been a simple margin issue
                                      >> (sometimes IE doubles margin on floats) or due to the content of the
                                      >> DIVs.
                                      >> Next time you give this DIV layout a shot, make sure to use
                                      >> "display:inline;" on DIVs that are floated *and* have a margin too (both
                                      >> in the same direction).
                                      >> If this still doesn't fix your problem, use "overflow:hidden;" on the
                                      >> DIVs to find out if the problem does not come from a nested element.
                                      >>
                                      >> --
                                      >> Thierry
                                      >> Articles and Tutorials: http://www.TJKDesign.com/go/?0
                                      >> --
                                      >> http://developer.yahoo.com/ helps you build applications and mashups
                                      >
                                      >