3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 2:28 PM by ~graffiti

cannot open pdf files

When I download .pdf files from the internet, I get the following pop-up message: "Adobe Reader could not open 'HOyv51Rrx.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)." The file name is downloaded with an extension of " .pdf.part" , and will not open. If I remove the .part it looks like an Adobe file, but will not open, and has zero KB.

This is inconsistent - happens once out of every five downloads from the internet. I automatically save all pdf files to my desktop.

Firefox 3.0.5
      Adobe 9.0.0.
      Mac OS 10.5.5.

Dana
        • 1. Re: cannot open pdf files
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          It sounds like the file is being downloaded in parts (common for a large fie of any type) and either it isn't being completely downloaded or is getting corrupted somehow.

Do you have a link to the file that we could look at?

Have you tried Control>Clicking on the link and downloading to your computer that way then opening in Reader?
          • 2. Re: cannot open pdf files
            Level 1
            Here's one file I've had trouble with - but not all the time:

[PDF] How to Build Fence with Wildlife in Mind
            File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
            A Landowners Guide to Wildlife Friendly Fences:. How to. Build Fence ..... Wildlife friendly fences should be low enough for adult animals to jump, ...
            fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=34461 - Similar pages

I can't tell if the control>click works, because this is such an inconsistent problem.

Dana
            • 3. Re: cannot open pdf files
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              That's a 3.4MB file so it's no wonder it's doing it in parts.

More than likely, especially if it isn't consistent, the file is being corrupt in download but that could be caused by anything (except Reader). You probably just have some noise on your network that effects the download and corrupts the file.

Not much you can do about that.