4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 12:05 PM by bosna189

Runtime Error

With in a few seconds of opening Adobe Reader 9 I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error stating that the application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
        • 1. Re: Runtime Error
          I have the exact same problem. I am on a network and when I sign on to the network as an administrator the program runs just fine...but when I use my own account I get a runtime error that looks like this:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

It is extremely frustrating.
          Any help would be greatly appreciated...especially if it actually resolves the problem ;)

Thanks
          • 2. Re: Runtime Error
            pwillener Level 8
            Does this give any help http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404597 ?

Note that you should back up your registry before making any modifications; a trusted registry backup/restore tool is ERUNT.
            • 3. Re: Runtime Error
              Pat,

Thanks for the link, now we know what the problem is.

Unfortunately it also tells us that Adobe doesn't care about this problem since it seems trivial but they've not fixed it. The tech note doesn't say when they first knew about it, but the last revision date (10-22-2008) was over three months ago.

So, anyone know of another in expensive PDF reader program which doesn't have this problem?
              • 4. Re: Runtime Error
                bosna189

As of Oct 2010 and ver 9.4 Adobe hasn't seen fit to fix this. Workarounds that require changes to non-adobe-reader registry keys are unacceptable, as they will screww up every other application call. I'm going back to ver 8, reading only offline, & starting to look around for a less bloated & buggy reader.

While I''m at it, Adobe should make the DLM otional & also that link to McAfee should default to no, not yes. simple is better, and options should be clear.