10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 6:16 AM by (John_Donovan)

Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?

Level 1
      I cannot get automatic updates as my company has proxy internet settings that prohibit it. My last support call told me to manually download any updates from the website. I am now getting prompted to download the following:

Adobe Updater Install Manager Update 6.0.2
      Adobe Updater 6.0.2

and I have no idea where to find them ('Updater' downloads doesn't seem to be on the Adobe website) or why I require an update for an older version 6.0.2 when I am on 9?

Any guidance appreciated,
      Katy
        • 1. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Those version numbers are for the updaters not Reader. You can find them at the following links.

Adobe Updater Install Manager Update 6.0.2

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3184

Adobe Updater 6.0.2

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4231
          • 2. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
            Level 1
            Thanks for that. The first link is for Macintosh (I have Windows) and it says version 4.0.3? I found the link for the Windows equivalent(below) but it is a huge list and I don't know which is the correct download, any ideas?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=1&platform=Windows
            • 3. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >The first link is for Macintosh (I have Windows) and it says version 4.0.3?

Ooops. Sorry about that.

I looked at the list in your link and didn't see it. I'm also having a tough time finding it on the site.
              • 4. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
                pwillener Level 8
                The second link that you (graffiti) posted earlier is the 6.0.2 Updater for Windows http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4231
                • 5. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
                  Level 1
                  I just tried to install the Updater 6.0.2 file, but it falls over almost immediately. Is this because I need to install the Install Manager for 6.0.2 first (the link that we can't find on the site)? The message I get is "One or more required components of CS4 failed to install correctly."
                  • 6. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
                    Level 1
                    Hello I'm having trouble as well trying to install this for a friend. It gets to 99% and then asks for adobe installer 6.0.2 which i downloaded and installed several times along with 9 but always the same error 99% install and the window pops up that it needs the installer. Can anyone help? Adobe are you listening?
                    Windows xp sp3 Signed a Mac user, Adobe 9 loaded without fail on Mac
                    • 7. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
                      pwillener Level 8
                      If you look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6, what file versions do Adobe_Updater.exe and AdobeUpdaterInstallMgr.exe have?
                      • 8. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
                        Level 1
                        Hi,

My Adobe_Updater.exe version is 6.0.0.1452.
                        My AdobeUpdaterInstallMgr.exe version is also 6.0.0.1452.

Thanks
                        • 9. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
                          pwillener Level 8
                          This means that Updater 6.0.2 was not installed; the version would be 6.0.2.1471.
                          • 10. Re: Can't update Reader 9 with Updater 6.0.2?
                            Level 1
                            I'm having an updater problem too, and no internet proxy issues here.

I thought the problem was because I'm trying Windows 7 beta, but after seeing this thread I'm not so sure.

I have CS3 on Windows Vista 32-bit, and that has had updater problems of its own. But what I'm concerned with here is a virgin Windows 7 64-bit install--same computer, different physical hard drive. (I'm doing this mostly so I can try out Photoshop CS4 64-bit on a 64-bit OS.) So far, the ONLY Adobe program I've installed is Reader 9.

And now the Updater is trying to update itself - that is, update these files from v.6.0.0.1452 to v.6.0.0.1471:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6\Adobe_Updater.exe
                            C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6\AdobeUpdaterInstallMgr.exe

However, it fails. If I try to run a 'check for updates' manually from within Reader, the updater crashes and I get a Windows crash message ('updater has stopped working'). If I allow automatic update checks and it tries to run from the system tray, the updated versions get downloaded but then throw up a message about a folder being LOCKED (without specifying which folder they're talking about), and just get stuck in an endless loop, even if I try to change download location preferences.

I have examined the permissions of the folders listed above and nothing seems amiss.

I did manage to fish out the updated files themselves from my download temp cache folder, but I can't just place them in program files. Even if I elevate privileges and Windows allows me to do it, they would no longer match Adobe's certificate files in there.

There maybe be some registry permissions involved as well, but I don't know where to check and frankly this is too much of a wild goose chase. I'm trying to find out whether my next purchases of Phshp and Windows should be 64 bits; that's time-consuming enough as it is. I cannot spend hours trying to hunt down Reader Update-the-Updater problems, although I assume the updater problems would extend to other Adobe products.

So...is this a Windows 7 issue? If so, Adobe is off the hook, for a while anyway, though there are now MILLIONS of Windows 7 beta users.

If this is an Adobe Updater issue, it wouldn't be the first time, and they can't hide behind the 'free software' issue, because Updater problems plague every high-priced version of Creative Suite. And on Mac, too.

Can it be so difficult for Adobe's presumably qualified engineers to work with Microsoft and Apple and iron out update security and permissions protocol glitches?