11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2009 3:35 PM by ~graffiti

Destination Component has stopped working

When I scan a document to a PDF file, I get this message when it tries to save the document to the file - "Destination component has stopped working"...has anyone else had this problem? I need help!
      Thanks,
      Gayle
        • 1. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Is the file being opened in Reader after the scan or are you trying to save to PDF from your scanning application.

Curious since Reader has no scanning ability.
          • 2. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
            Level 1
            I am trying to save to PDF after the scan from my scanner. The document will scan okay, but when it comes to saving it as a PDF file, I get this message...Destination component has stopped working...when I go to my scans, there is a file but it is blank and will not open...I have scanned doc. in the past and they open fine...this problme began after I tried the Adobe Acrobat Pro for 30 days...I uninstalled it and now my Adobe Reader does not work...I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times...I have also uninstalled and reinstalled my all in one printer...
            • 3. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
              So after scanning, it opens the file in Reader and you save it from there and that's when you get the error?

If that's the case, uninstall Reader AND the Acrobat trial, download and run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and get rid of all traces of both (It's not recommended nor supported to have both installed at the same time), then reinstall Reader.
              • 4. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                Level 1
                After scanning, I get the error message...it doesn't save the file. I can go to "My Scans" and the scan is there and when I open it I get this message:

"Adobe Reader could not open the file because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachement and wasnt correctly decoded)"

I have already done as you suggested; I have uninstalled the free trial, uninstalled Adobe Reader 9, then reinstalled Adobe Reader 9 and I still have this problem...I haven't run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility, suppose I should try that...
                • 5. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                  > After scanning, I get the error message...it doesn't save the file. I can go to "My Scans" and the scan is there and when I open it I get this message:

Ok THAT'S what we needed to know. At this point, Reader isn't involved at all. It's all in the scan. You'll want to contact tech support for the application you use to scan whatever that may be.
                  • 6. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                    There is a "slight" chance that installing the Acrobat Trial messed up your scanning application but there's no way for me to tell for sure.

Before contacting their tech support, you may want to reinstall the software that came with the scanner.
                    • 7. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                      Level 1
                      graffiti,
                      Thank you so much for your interest and concern with my problem...I have talked to Microsoft Windows, Adobe support, HP support...I spent all day yesterday on this issue...hours on the phone. Microsoft did not want to take ownership, the Adobe rep. tried what he could (customer service) and the HP tech support guy literally tried for over 3 hours last night...he uninstalled and reinstalled the Adobe Reader and printer at least twice. After talking to all these folks and listening to their theories, I really think the problem is because I installed the free Acrobat Pro over the Adobe Reader (I should have uninstalled it before I installed the free one)...even though I have uninstalled the free application, something is messed up with Adobe Reader...
                      Gayle
                      • 8. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                        Level 1
                        This is what happened when I got greedy and wanted something for nothing...I should have learned by now not to download these "free for 30 days" applications...I am so frustrated with this...sorry about the whining...
                        • 9. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                          >even though I have uninstalled the free application, something is messed up with Adobe Reader

I'm not saying there "isn't" anything wrong with Reader but, it's doubtful.

The error message is typical of a corrupt PDF which means the file, for whatever reason, is being wrecked before you even get it to Reader.

If it's an installation issue, the MS Installer Cleanup Utility I mentioned earlier will clear it up but again, I doubt that's the issue.

So your scanner is an HP? Did it come with a disk? If so, check the disk for the application that you actually use to scan and reinstall it. Don't believe HP support to fast. They're well known for their lack of knowledge (even for their own products).
                          • 10. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                            Level 1
                            I am discovering that about HP; it would be nice to have support from someone that actually knows how to operate the device a person calls support about. I emailed the President and CEO of HP about this very issue...I suggested to him that his tech support be given hands on experience with the products they are supporting; of course I received a generic reply. I had a Canon printer before this one and I really liked it, but I bought this new HP computer and thought the HP all in one would be more compatible...if I ever buy another computer it will be a MAC and a Canon printer..if I can ever get this printer to work like it is designed to do, I may be more pleased with it. Again, I apologize for the ranting...
                            • 11. Re: Destination Component has stopped working
                              >Again, I apologize for the ranting...

No worries. Good luck.